Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LoI This weekend - get yourself to a game!

• 19-03-2008 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Friday March 21st
    Premier Division

Cork City -v- Derry City Turner's Cross 7:35
    Drogheda United -v- Cobh Ramblers United Park 7:45
    St Patrick's Athletic -v- Galway United Richmond Park 7:45
    Finn Harps -v- UCD Finn Park 7:45
    Shamrock Rovers -v- Bray Wanderers Tolka Park 7:45
    Sligo Rovers -v- Bohemians Showgrounds 8.00

First Division

Sporting Fingal -v- Limerick 37 Morton Stadium 7:45
    Athlone Town -v- Waterford United Lissywoollen 7:45
    Monaghan United -v- Shelbourne Kingspan Century Park 8:00
    Wexford Youths -v- Kildare County Ferrycarrig Park 8:00

Saturday March 22nd
    First Division

Longford Town -v- Dundalk Flancare Park 7:30

So, in the Premier Division, the tie of the weekend is Derry City's visit to Turner's Cross. City manager Alan Matthews last night said that his team was struggling to find the net, indeed only "Gorgeous" George O'Callaghan has found the net this term for the Leesiders, Derry City meanwhile have had no problems in that department, scoring an impressive five already. Derry City will be looking to maintain early momentum to keep the pressure on St Pat's. Should be a decent game, and is on TV somewhere.

Drogheda should pick up their first win with the visit of newcomers to the division Cobh Ramblers to United Park, even though they haven't netted a single goal this season in the league, they will be too strong for a determined Cobh side.

Early Table-toppers St. patrick's Athletic welcome Galway United to Richmond Park, and again, the front runners should be too strong for Galway. Expect three points to stay in Dublin.

Both Finn Harps and UCD have had mixed starts to the season with a win and a loss each, and would seem to be fairly evenly matched. This could prove to be influential in the relegation places come Novemner, so both sides will be looking for the win. I think they'll cancel each other out, and a draw will be the outcome in Donegal.

Currently sitting bottom of the lot, Bray Wanderers make the journey to Drumcondra to face Shamrock Rovers.Shamrock Rovers have had an impressive start to the season, picking up all three points when they visited the champions, and earning a draw with Cork City. Although Wanderers also took a point off Cork City, they were beaten at home by UCD. A win for the home team seems would be where my money is going.

In the First Division, Sporting Fingal are fresh from a nice win over Athlone Town, and welcome Limerick 37 to Santry this weekend. Both teams will be looking for a win, but I think a draw is most likely.

Athlone Town must overcome Waterford United at home, but I think the Munster side will be too strong for Athlone, and will pick uo another three points.

Shelbourne travel to Monaghan, and will be looking for three points so they can stay in touch with the other early movers in the division. I expect Shels to win here.

Kildare County and Wexford Youths are both without a win as the Thoroughbreds go to play Mick Wallace's charges. I think Kildare County will come away with all three points.

A mouthwatering game in Flancare Park, and yet another early-season promotion Six-Pointer with the Lilywhites of Dundalk going to the midlands. Dundalk already drew with fellow title contenders Shels, so will be going for the win here, although I'm expecting a draw.

Pre and post game views and reports can be found at Extratime.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Sligo Rovers vs Bohemians is also on Friday night at 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gustavo wrote: »
    Sligo Rovers vs Bohemians is also on Friday night at 8
    :o:o

Added, apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

After missing the first two matches due to limited tickets and illness, I fully intend to be at Tolka this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

DesF wrote: »

A mouthwatering game in Flancare Park, and yet another early-season promotion Six-Pointer with the Lilywhites of Dundalk going to the midlands. Dundalk already drew with fellow title contenders Shels, so will be going for the win here, although I'm expecting a draw.

Pre and post game views and reports can be found at Extratime.ie

Agreed. I wasn't considering going to the game as some people have to work ungodly hours i.e. Saturdays, but it really should be a cracker so i think i might go. I think Dundalk have the better team but i think the home advantage could be enough to keep Longford in it. So i think a draw is the likely result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Fingal are evens again this week- very good value there. Probably throw them into a lukcy 15 with Rovers, Pats and Drogs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

After missing the first two matches due to limited tickets and illness, I fully intend to be at Tolka this week.

You missed a feast of football last Friday, I'm telling ya. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Clarke
    OCarroll Harris Partridge Paisley
    Ryan Fahey Lynch Kirby
    Fitz O Neill

Not sure if we play that team vs galway thats our ani hoof team with shockingly big back 4, mostly to be used vs Bohs and Drogs, our footballing team puts lynch to right back Carroll slots in centre and partridge to the bench.

Midfield Fahey and dempsey our players with keane and Kirby as the wide players, think Quigley will be rested this week and Fitz giving a chance.

Hopefully galway come to "play" as we owe them from last season :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

We have a decent record against Derry in recent years, so would be somewhat hopeful of a decent result. Then I remember we have one of the worst managers in the league who wont grow a pair and drop one of our midfield three, rather than accomodating them all, and my optimism abates very quickly.

Feel sorry for the Derry fans who have to come to a country of closed boozers and offies. Its a long journey to not have any/much/enough booze for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

For once a bit of buzz about a Bray game - the return of ratboy!

"Ger Rowe did not do what he did to end up at Bray" P. Scully 1/3/08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Highlights(admittedly very few this season) of Athlone Town games can be found here: http://www.athlonetowntv.com/

• Advertisement

patmac wrote: »
    Highlights(admittedly very few this season) of Athlone Town games can be found here: http://www.athlonetowntv.com/
    Are you a new LoI fan patmac?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Been trying to get the lads to go to a Pats game for a while, we all live quite close, even lived in Inchicory myself for a few years. Anyway, think there's a few going on Friday, I reckon I'll head down either way.

Aren't Pats topping the league?? :pAll credit to glory hunters!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Dundalk, I wish you all the best for your game this weekend and I truly sincerly hope you come away with the 3 points but please forgive me when I say THERES NOT A FCUKING HOPE OF ME GOING DOWN TO LONGFORD TO SUPPORT YOU THIS WEEKEND.

Come on the town!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Will be at the opposite end of the country this weekend so won't be travelling to Gortakeegan or whatever its called now, unfortunately. Very hopeful of a win for Shels though. :)

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Will be at the opposite end of the country this weekend so won't be travelling to Gortakeegan or whatever its called now, unfortunately. Very hopeful of a win for Shels though. :)
    Wouldn't be quite so confident MrSoap. Monaghan aren't too bad in that shitehole of a ground they have. And they beat your lot both times up there last season(including a 4-0!).

Shels record last season V Monaghan=P4 W0 D2 L2 F2 A7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Shels record last season V Monaghan=Irrelevant this season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Pighead wrote: »
    Dundalk, I wish you all the best for your game this weekend and I truly sincerly hope you come away with the 3 points but please forgive me when I say THERES NOT A FCUKING HOPE OF ME GOING DOWN TO LONGFORD TO SUPPORT YOU THIS WEEKEND.

Come on the town!

Sunshine supporter :P

Sunshine supporter :P
    Pigheads an ABF. ANYWHERE BUT FLANCARE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Are you a new LoI fan patmac?

Always had a passing interest Des, but I intend to get to a few matches this year, (GAA permiting ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

heading to sligo v bohs myself

com on the bit of red

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Always had a passing interest Des, but I intend to get to a few matches this year, (GAA permiting ;) )
    What? Will they ban you? :eek:

Shels record last season V Monaghan=P4 W0 D2 L2 F2 A7
    Pighead, wtf relevence does last season's Shels squad and results have to this season's?

We are a totally, totally different team this year, with only ~4 players remaining from last term.

We have improved in every department, and are better than Dundalk.
    Cool, fair play, hopefully more than a few ;)
    SectionF wrote: »
    What? Will they ban you? :eek:
    :D Probably. Do they still have that rule?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Hunt out for 6 weeks with a broken foot, thats not good for bohs.

kdjac

Pighead, wtf relevence does last season's Shels squad and results have to this season's?

We are a totally, totally different team this year, with only ~4 players remaining from last term.
    Plenty of relevance Desmond. They're your bogey team. They've got a voodoo curse over your lads. You haven't beaten them in 5 games.
    We have improved in every department, and are better than Dundalk.
    HA HA HA HA! Excellent stuff. Thats Pigheads first laugh out loud of the day. Better than Dundalk even though they couldn't beat 9 Dundalk men at home a couple of weeks ago! Quality Mr F!

Five games?

What was the last game before last season's 4?

Curse over our lads? Jaysis, the Shels team haven't played Monaghan yet.

Shelbourne will be out in front by themselves after this weekend.

Draw in Flancare, and a draw in Lisseywoolen, and we'll beat Mons.

Mark my words Pighead.

Once we get our noses in front, we won't be caught.

Five games?

What was the last game before last season's 4?

Curse over our lads? Jaysis, the Shels team haven't played Monaghan yet.

Shelbourne will be out in front by themselves after this weekend.

Draw in Flancare, and a draw in Lisseywoolen, and we'll beat Mons.

Mark my words Pighead.

Once we get our noses in front, we won't be caught.
    Monaghan beat Shels 1-0 in a League of Ireland classic back in 2002 when your lot were a good team.

Draw in Flancare will be a decent reult for Dundalk. 5 points from the first 3 games will be a decent haul so far all things considered. Dundalk will win this league Des and you can take that to the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Monaghan beat Shels 1-0 in a League of Ireland classic back in 2002 when your lot were a good team.

Hahaha talk about plucking at straws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Expect Rovers to pick up a handy three points against Bray tomorrow. We've had a solid start to the season with a great win away to Draaaaaaawheeeeda and really should have beaten the Langers after one of the most clear penalties you'll ever see was turned down.

Judas Rowe is going to get slaughtered too.

DSB wrote: »
    Hahaha talk about plucking at straws.
    Its clutching at straws ya big ninny!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Its clutching at straws ya big ninny!

Hahaha ****e.

Advertisement