Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Decoupage - Magazine Copyrights

• 05-11-2012 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi folks,

Hopefully I can get some help with my query.

When out of the office, I decorate furniture with magazines. For what started as a hobby, it's now caught the attention of someone well known to the public eye. I'm thrilled to bits but my only fear is that I'm going to get sued by magazine companies for using their material!

Maybe I'm overreacting but I really need to find out what to do in this regard. Hopefully someone out there for advise me on what to do!

Cheers,

MM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I hope this will help, there are loads of books on appropriation as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appropriation_%28art%29

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 JansStuff

I'm just starting out with decoupage. I want to do a class with kids. Can you recommend the best place to get the varnish? Is it special or just furniture varnish from woodies? Would it be too toxic for children to use? Thank you !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭looksee

For decoupage with children I would not consider using varnish - give the project a coat of pva to finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MikaMoma

Hi, I would agree with 'looksee'. The varnish I use for my decoupage furniture is a spray varnish from Kennedys art shop in Dublin. I take each piece outside to varnish it.

Coating the pieces in PVA would defo be better if working with kids and it's also a lot easier on the pocket!

Hope it works well for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Dont think you have much to worry about.

If the magazine makes a complaint then just stop.

However, it keeps them in the public eye so cant see why they would be upset. There is no threat to their magazine, imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭looksee

TOMP, your argument, while apparently logical, does not have anything to do with copyright law. However if pictures are sufficiently cut up and altered you would be ok. If you re-used them un-altered - simply copied and framed a photograph from a magazine, for example, then you could be in breach of copyright law. I say 'could' because the whole area is a bit of a minefield. You should be safe enough with decoupage though.

Advertisement