Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS 3 error code 80010514

Options
  • 01-03-2014 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

can anyone give me a definate answer if ( error 80010514 ) this is a software or hardware issue . It was running games for anythng form 5 - 30 mins but that depends on its mood . I did a full system format and formatted the harddrive .
    Ive just tried a blu-ray that def worked in it before and got the message
    " This is an invalid disc. ( 80029906 )"
    When i had netflix even with this issue it used to stream away all day , this leads me to think its probably a problem with bluray drive / laser

I should mention its a fat 60 gb cechc03

any help would be greatly appreciated

**** Update ****

Just watched a full DVD on it no problem , now im seriously confused as if its the laser then why will it play dvd but not bluray or games

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭budman9

Yes, looks like laser problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Sounds like a laser issue but according to a few blogs it is a firmware issue.

Check out the link below:
    http://www.ps3blog.co.za/2008/04/10/ps3-error-80010514-explained/

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ceuldude

i checked that out @keithts , ive tried the system restore before and it made it no better / worse . ive sourced an identical console to mine with a slightly different issue . im gonna try a couple of different tricks using this

1 - switch the hdd and do a system restore
    2 - change the laser ( just the llaser as my discs are spinning away just fine )
    3 - if neither work im gonna see what the world record for a flying PS3 fat is !!!!!!!

If you have a spare console just swap out the entire bluray drive, it's a much easier thing to do than swapping the laser. No point in doing just the laser on its own because if it doesn't work then you'll be unsure if its because you messed up the laser thing or if its a completely different problem altogether.
    If you don't have a working drive give me a shout and I might be able to hook you up with one from a busted console.

Regarding the system restore, if its a firmware issue related to corrupted HDD, a restore more than likely won't work. The area of the disc is unreadable so that makes rolling back the software impossible and putting new versions on tricky too as they need to delete/write on the old disc space so if swapping out the HDD works that's why I imagine.

excellent , thanks @keithts , i read somewhere that u need to switch out the logic board if ur changing the full drive , thats why i was gonna jjust change the laser , ive had it apart a few times so if it comes to it ill prob change the full drive first

• Advertisement

Yeah you're right. The bluray controller is paired with the drive AFAIK. When you swap them, you need to swap both over so the new drive has the new controller too.

ceuldude wrote: »
    excellent , thanks @keithts , i read somewhere that u need to switch out the logic board if ur changing the full drive , thats why i was gonna jjust change the laser , ive had it apart a few times so if it comes to it ill prob change the full drive first
    You can swap drives without logic board. Just swap drives and leave original logic board. The bluray controller is paired with the motherboard, not with the drive.

so @ budman , if i switch the drive it should work without having to change over the controller too

Yes. Leave logic board from broken drive and put fully working drive. You can only use drive from CECHA - CECHG PS3's.

excellent , shall try that the console and the drive are the exact same model as my own so evertin should swap straight over

• Advertisement

Ok , changed the drive ( KES 400 ) with a reconditioned one , kept the original motherboard from the malfunctioning drive . Problem solved , reading blurays playing games again .

As such it appears that in my case at least the error msg was an issue with the laser unit . When i googled it i found it impossible to find a definate answer so hopefully this will help someone with this really annoying problem out

here is a list of error code which i found , if you look at the error code for 80010514 it says problem reading disk

http://www.edepot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=955

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

Sorry to reopen this thread but wondering if anyone had the same issue as me.

Basically same issue as OH but with Slim 120GB version (error 8001514). Did the usual cleaning blu-ray etc but none of them worked. I got a new replacement laser yesterday (KES-450-AAA) and replaced it and when I first entered a disc all was well. then when I went to switch on again last night was getting the same thing as before i.e. you could hear the bluray trying to read the disc but failing. I took apart again to see if there was loose connections but everything looks fine.

Time to get a new one????

Sorry to reopen this thread but wondering if anyone had the same issue as me.

Basically same issue as OH but with Slim 120GB version (error 8001514). Did the usual cleaning blu-ray etc but none of them worked. I got a new replacement laser yesterday (KES-450-AAA) and replaced it and when I first entered a disc all was well. then when I went to switch on again last night was getting the same thing as before i.e. you could hear the bluray trying to read the disc but failing. I took apart again to see if there was loose connections but everything looks fine.

Time to get a new one????

since i did this fix on my own console , i bought another one with the same problem , again im only talking from my own personal experience , but i tried changing the laser and as urself the problem became intermittent again .
    Luckily for me i had another complete drive lying around ( as i dabble fixing them ) and hey presto working like a dream . To me at least it seems to be its not simply a reading issue but an issue with the complete drive , dont get me wrong the laser was bad in my original , but it wasnt till i changed the complete drive that it worked .

BTW this is the most infuriating error code ive come across dealing wit the PS 3 , hopefully that helps u some bit

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

Cheers man, good advice. Certainly a pain in the ar*e indeed. I will have a look out for some alternatives (or an xbox :D )

Cheers man, good advice. Certainly a pain in the ar*e indeed. I will have a look out for some alternatives (or an xbox :D )

:eek: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO keep the faith brother , dont give in to the evil that is xbox

Advertisement