Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips for selling a car privately

• 25-01-2014 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to sell my car in the next couple of month's as im emigrating in the summer. I dont want to sell it to a garage because I need to raise as much funds as possible. Ive never sold a car before. I plan to put it up on car zone and done deal.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to sell it? I need a step by step on what I need to do once I find a buyer. I assume I need to send the transfer of ownership to shannon myself rather than get the new buyer to do it? And what do people accept as payment, should I request a bank draft or cash, rather than a cheque? Theres no outstanding finace on the car or anything.

Its a 2003 VW. There are a couple of scratches on the car, is it worth paying to get these fixed before I sell it or I should I save my money and sell as is?

As you can see from my questions I'm clueless about this so any help is much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sammy_Jankis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,441 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not worth getting scratches fixed but mention them and include clear photo of them in your ad. Don't under any cicumstances give the buyer the VLC, you need to send this to Shannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

If it needs a NCT get it done, if you're within the 3 month range of getting it done early do that.Will attract a buyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Use a disposable number and email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Read the first post (and the thread) in the Selling sticky here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

VW are probably the easiest brand to sell. Fresh NCT, clean it up and advertise on DoneDeal at the average price of those cars and itll be gone in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭danwhite88

I would suggest using Gumtree and Adverts as well as done deal. They are free. Also know the price that you want for the car, sell it with enough time before you are travelling so you are not under pressure to get rid of it. By doing this you can hold out until to get the price you are looking for. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

adverts.ie is a waste of time when selling a car. All you will get is either idiots offering to swap you a broken iphone or half your asking price and then getting insulted when you turn them down.

Advertisement