Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 years old, hair is receeded like mad

Options
  • 27-03-2013 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Well, I suppose I first started to notice it when I was 15 years, my hair was gone back. My dad is bald so I would say it is in the genes. It has effected my self confidence a lot and I sometimes feel depressed and scared for the future. I am hitting college next year and I am dreading the idea of my hairline being worse next year. Could anyone give me any advice as to what I could do to improve it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jkell061

Just keep your head shaved, stop worrying about it n you'll grow to like it, n trust me everyone else will too. Don't be at trying to cover it up with whatever other flops of hair u have!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

Shave it. You can't "improve" it any other way. Comb overs just make people look like sex offenders, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If it's not that bad, use Regaine, but if you're fairly bald, Mach3 it off, and grow a goatee.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

it sounds like your losing a battle you cant win mate,just accept thats the way it is no point and worrying about something you cant change,i know from personnel expierence i started losing my hair about 23. i'm one of the luckyones that a baldy actually suits me.like everyone else says shave it.chin up mate your not the first and you definitly won't be the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mudderagod

Shave it to the skin for the summer and get a bit of colour on your noggin and you'll be sorted!!! don't be stressing mate.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Dripping Ice Cubes

Op massage the muscles around your head, I've already grown a few new hairs back with this technique, didn't believe it would actually work.

Google the maliniak method.

For ten minutes every day massage the muscles behind your ears, at the back of your head and above your eyebrows.

The theory is that when blood flow is restricted it causes DHT to build up and kill your hair follicles, the primary cause of poor blood flow are tight muscles around the head which restrict the galea on top if your head. So loosen up those muscles by stretching and massaging them.

In addition I brush my scalp vigoursly until it goes red,also before I'm finished showering I turn the cold water on and let it run over my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Op massage the muscles around your head, I've already grown a few new hairs back with this technique, didn't believe it would actually work.

Google the maliniak method.

For ten minutes every day massage the muscles behind your ears, at the back of your head and above your eyebrows.

The theory is that when blood flow is restricted it causes DHT to build up and kill your hair follicles, the primary cause of poor blood flow are tight muscles around the head which restrict the galea on top if your head. So loosen up those muscles by stretching and massaging them.

In addition I brush my scalp vigoursly until it goes red,also before I'm finished showering I turn the cold water on and let it run over my head.

Does actually work. Rogaine increases circulation. The upside down thing etc...cold water etc...all work. There are these lazor helmets that are specifically for increasing circulation. THey are the best for it.

Finasteride will stop the hairloss Op if you really want to try it. I did..couldn't handle it. Get Nizoral shampoo which will slow it down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

BrianG23 wrote: »
    Does actually work. Rogaine increases circulation. The upside down thing etc...cold water etc...all work. There are these lazor helmets that are specifically for increasing circulation. THey are the best for it.

Finasteride will stop the hairloss Op if you really want to try it. I did..couldn't handle it. Get Nizoral shampoo which will slow it down too.

What effects did you get with Finasteride BrianG? I was on it for about a year 5 years ago. I didnt see any side effects but stopped taking it cause I moved country.

I have some stock of Finasteride I got prescribed from black rock and was thinking of starting to take it again because my hair has gone a bit thin now but there seems to be alot more talk of side effects on the internet now than there was when I was first talking it. Its making me a bit hesitant to go back on it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

I'm on finasteride and rogaine and they work. Fighting hairloss is about 70% prevention and 30% regrowth, you have to act as soon as possible.

Most people take 1-1.25 mg of finasteride (proscar), but at your age and developmental stage that may be too much. The response isn't linear though. Even 0.25 mg a day will have almost as much affect as 1 mg a day, and may be safer at your age and developmental stage.

You can also try topical S5/Spiro lotion for blocking DHT.

Minoxidil is a must for regrowth, but won't prevent future hair loss. Go to a GP, say you want to try 0.25-0.5 mg of finasteride for hair loss and minoxidil. Don't take any bull**** answers, tell him how much fighting hairloss really matters to you.

What effects did you get with Finasteride BrianG? I was on it for about a year 5 years ago. I didnt see any side effects but stopped taking it cause I moved country.

I have some stock of Finasteride I got prescribed from black rock and was thinking of starting to take it again because my hair has gone a bit thin now but there seems to be alot more talk of side effects on the internet now than there was when I was first talking it. Its making me a bit hesitant to go back on it. :confused:
    I believe ALOT of people experience the side effects. I also believe the serious ones that don't go away is overblow. I actually got the bad ones, as in it was harder to keep it up and could never get a full on bone. And my nipple got very sore to the touch. Scary ****. However if you've been on it for 5 years clearly you can handle(which I am jealous of haha) it man. It worked completely for my hair anyway. Stopped any loss at all. I was on it for about 6 months at 1.25mg.

After the side effects started to take place I cut Finas off completely, few months later I tried lower dosages, same thing again and agaiin. I simply cannot handle the drug. :pac:

I'm completely recovered from the side effects anyway, the nipple thing stopped as soon as I stopped taking the Finas, and penis recovered from it's harsh lifestyle a few months later.

In my experience, even with the sides...give Finas a try. If you are getting Side effects that are too much for you, just stop. If you are lucky enough to be able to handle it, you get to keep your hair.

Icarian? Where to get Topical Spiro? My hairloss is slowed down ALOT with just Nizoral and Minox alone. I also use Coconut oil to stop the dryness Minox seems to give. I'd wager Topical Spiro would throw me another bone towards keeping my hair longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

I don't know where to buy it, don't use it myself, I've only read about it. Just google spironolactone S5 cream, I'm sure there are some reputable and reasonable sellers out there

Just ordered Spiro S5 6 months supply, let yous know how this stuff turns out :D Prolly with pics too. Seeing as Finasteride worked so well for me before(Besides my temporarily broken penis :P) i'm hoping for this to work as well as it.

Advertisement