Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

05 Avensis 1.6 using oil

Options
  • 31-10-2013 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,
    A friend of mine, has an 05 Avensis 1.6 with 50,000km. He bought the car from new. I know this is a common problem for certain models. They use a lot of oil due to poor engine design. I read this post here: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/138146-what-causes-high-oil-use-on-18vvti/ (post #5). Very informative. My friend tried contacting Toyota but they didn't seem to want to know. So, he is considering getting the piston rings done, from my understanding this is a waste of time as the problem will just reoccur. Anyone know the solution to this problem, what needs to be done? Does a short block need to be fitted or can a post 05 engine be fitted?
    Also, should he try Toyota again, has he got a leg to stand on?
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I don't know anything about this particular issue, but after reading post #5 in the thread you linked (and speed-reading the rest of the thead), this is what I would do:

1. Do an immediate oil and filter change (only use a Toyota genuine filter) using 5W30 fully synthetic oil. Lidl regularly sell a good quality 5W30 fully synthetic oil for €5 a litre. It comes in a gold-coloured bottle. Maybe add 0.25L extra?

2. Check the oil level properly (i.e. car level, allow enough time for all oil to return to sump before checking) once a week - or more often if clocking up high miles, and top up as necessary. Carry some oil in the boot for this purpose.

3. Consider fitting an oil cooler. This will probably require that more oil be added to compensate for the cooler/pipe capacity.

The above would seem to be the cheapest way to keep on top of the issue - much cheaper than fitting new rings (or a different block or a replacement engine).

Finally, if your friend has a proper service history, they might[/] be able to get Toyota to cover some/all of the cost of a more comprehensive solution (as mentioned in the thread you linked). This is probably a long shot though, but might be worth exploring. Although the car is 8 years old, the mileage is very low, and if they have a full Toyota service history (and a good relationship with the dealer) there might be a positive outcome. Even if the service history is not all Toyota, if the record is there (oil/filter changed as specified and using correct spec oil) that should be good enough.

If no joy from Toyota, if your friend has a good history with the dealer, they may do them a good deal on a trade-in against a newer model.

Final point - oil is cheap. Unless, of course, the car is absolutely drinking it, or the level of consumption is so bad that the emissions are affected so as to cause an NCT fail.

I'm sure you will get more knowledgeable replies from other posters later.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

how much oil does it use ? in car manual there is note about what is acceptable oil consumption , even my work colleague has 11 toyota, and pretty thirsty for oil, they carrying a bottle of oil, in case oil light comes up.

if car does not produce blue smoke (and pass nct), and consumes oil within manufacturer stated limits, then no need to worry.

usually on older models (pre 03) problems with stem seals, which need to be replaced, there is some techniques do this without removing engine head.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 my_self

Thanks for the feedback, I should have mentioned that it's using a considerable a amount of oil, it bellows out blue smoke, and won't pass the NCT. It has to be constantly topped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

ok, then there need to do some work on engine... oil rings wont be broken by that mileage, unless oil never been changed , oil have to be changed every 10 - 15 k kms, or once a year. so obviously car is 8 years old, it should have 8 oil changes by this time. i have done some other car piston ring replacement . it is not cheap work, as engine head has to go off, and then oil sump , then rods with pistons have to go out from cylinder block . i think piston ring set would cost around 150 , work on engine head ... skim and stem seal replacement would be around another 150 quid, and labor i imagine would be another 350 and + .... plus in same time proper oil and filters, car has chain instead of timing belt so no timing belt hassle, unless engine rattles when cold, then chain with tensioners has to be replaced. Maybe put on doneedeal for cheap price, might somebody will buy and will get repaired. i cannot image what that car cost, but wont be much with faulty engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Mar4ix wrote: »
    ok, then there need to do some work on engine... oil rings wont be broken by that mileage, unless oil never been changed , oil have to be changed every 10 - 15 k kms, or once a year. so obviously car is 8 years old, it should have 8 oil changes by this time. i have done some other car piston ring replacement . it is not cheap work, as engine head has to go off, and then oil sump , then rods with pistons have to go out from cylinder block . i think piston ring set would cost around 150 , work on engine head ... skim and stem seal replacement would be around another 150 quid, and labor i imagine would be another 350 and + .... plus in same time proper oil and filters, car has chain instead of timing belt so no timing belt hassle, unless engine rattles when cold, then chain with tensioners has to be replaced. Maybe put on doneedeal for cheap price, might somebody will buy and will get repaired. i cannot image what that car cost, but wont be much with faulty engine.

Changing piston rings alone is a waste of time for this problem. The problem arises from blocking of the oilways, and a failure to lubricate the lower part of the piston. A short engine is the only solution.

You might get an engine from a scrapyard which has the replaced short engine but I'd say they are in short supply and you'd be taking a chance.

As mentioned, Toyota had extended the warranty to 7 years and 100K miles for their engines affected by this issue. It's a pity someone didn't deal with it a year ago but as mentioned, if you have a good relationship with your dealer and a Full Service History, you may get some gesture of goodwill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 my_self

Thanks Avns1s, that's what I thought. But was hoping there might be a cheaper alternative. Do you know what type of money a short block is?

Advertisement