Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

08 Mondeo bonet open alarm

• 19-10-2011 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi,
    Yesteday evening when I went to start my car it displayed a message saying that the bonet was open, which it wasn't.
    I opened and closed the bonet to see if this would fix the problem and it didn't. I also tried turning on and off the car and taking out the key.
    I noticed then that I couldn't double lock the car because it obviously thought the bonet was opened. I could only lock it once. Then the car alarm started to go off because it was locked only once.
    This morning then it seemed to fix itself overnight.

Anyone come across this before or does anyone know why this might have happened? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

sflemings wrote: »
    Hi,
    Yesteday evening when I went to start my car it displayed a message saying that the bonet was open, which it wasn't.
    I opened and closed the bonet to see if this would fix the problem and it didn't. I also tried turning on and off the car and taking out the key.
    I noticed then that I couldn't double lock the car because it obviously thought the bonet was opened. I could only lock it once. Then the car alarm started to go off because it was locked only once.
    This morning then it seemed to fix itself overnight.

Anyone come across this before or does anyone know why this might have happened? Thanks.

Not sure about the new Mondeo,but the bonet switch on the older mondeo's gave a lot of trouble;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭Damien360

Your bonnet is not down fully. My mondeo had this problem and I had to get the bonnet release cable replaced. From the catch in the engine bay, it goes to the right and down taking a sharp right angled turn back towards the release catch in the cabin. This last turn causes the cable to fray. It is the same as the cable on your bikes brakes.

When it frays it causes the bonnet catch to remain in the open position. A quick fix, until you get it replaced, is to remove the plastic surround that is around the switch. twist lock screws, half turn to open. This exposes the entire switch. Now get a long screwdriver and push the jammed part back to home position. You can now lock the bonnet correctly. But, every time you re-open, you will have to do the same trick. Do not move the cabin side release catch as the end of the cable will pop out and it is a pig to get back in as it remains under tension.

It is a cheap part but a pain in the ass to repair according to my mechanic. They will try doing a cut of the existing cable away from the fray and then mate the new cable to it. Failing that, they change the entire cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Damien360 wrote: »
    Your bonnet is not down fully. My mondeo had this problem and I had to get the bonnet release cable replaced. From the catch in the engine bay, it goes to the right and down taking a sharp right angled turn back towards the release catch in the cabin. This last turn causes the cable to fray. It is the same as the cable on your bikes brakes.

When it frays it causes the bonnet catch to remain in the open position. A quick fix, until you get it replaced, is to remove the plastic surround that is around the switch. twist lock screws, half turn to open. This exposes the entire switch. Now get a long screwdriver and push the jammed part back to home position. You can now lock the bonnet correctly. But, every time you re-open, you will have to do the same trick. Do not move the cabin side release catch as the end of the cable will pop out and it is a pig to get back in as it remains under tension.

It is a cheap part but a pain in the ass to repair according to my mechanic. They will try doing a cut of the existing cable away from the fray and then mate the new cable to it. Failing that, they change the entire cable.
    Yeah I done a few of them alright. Bit of a pain, lots of work involved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭mark085

can you please tell me were the bonnet switch is on 02 mondeo zetec

Advertisement