Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'08 Car on a 10k Budget

Options
  • 25-05-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Okay folks, I'm looking for a '08 car on a 10k budget. Best I've seen so far is a 2008 Vauxhall Vectra with 72,000 miles that is £6450 (about €7465) & that will cost €2500 to VRT.

It's a 150bhp SRi CDTI, 6 speed gearbox.

Just wondering if anyone has a vehicle they've seen online that they'd recommend for my budget?

Car has to be:

1. fairly large with boot space as there'll be a car seat in the back and a buggy to go in the boot.
    2. '08 for lower tax.
    3. Good for motorway driving (6 speed) as I'm going to be travelling 120 miles a day for job, mainly motorway driving.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

I saw a Citroen C5 1.6HDi for a good price, gone now tho.
    VTX - english rep-tastic version with lower emissions. Dunno if it was 6speed. Wouldn't be my idea of fun but it should be very light on diesel and was priced well considering the current mania for 08 onwards diesels. There might be a few more out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I don't think all 2008 cars are on the new VRT system? So just be careful with that one.

Importing is probably okay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I don't think all 2008 cars are on the new VRT system? So just be careful with that one.

That doesn't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

that vectra really is probably the best you'll do. good solid car let down by a inexcusably dull interior

Any 2008 car can be if it's cheaper than the old cc system for that particular car :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭listermint

OP, if this is specfically for the change in tax, Its a false economy. Do your sums first on purchase / tax / running costs.

Buying a car just because it fits into the new 08 tax changes is madness.

sure its cheaper to tax an '07 M3 than it is the '08...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,542 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

08 Vectras can be had for buttons in the UK (£5k up for decent specced ones) and are possibly the best choice for someone trying to bring in a large family car on new tax, but on a restricted budget. Compared to 2007 cars anyway, it's probably worth stretching the little extra for an 08 because in many cases the difference in purchase price is only a few hundred pounds, easily offset by approx €300/yr lower tax and higher residuals.

Be careful though OP - make sure you check your CO2 levels. These changed at some points in the manufacturing history so it's essential to make 100% sure that you are getting a 154 CO2 car, and NOT a 159 (presuming you are going for a C band car). Do not necessarily rely on what the ad says - ask the seller to check the V5C! Pound for pound, my looking suggests that the best decent spec version (i.e. Design, SRi or Elite) for importing (i.e. lowest VRT) is the 150hp 1.9 CDTi Design version. A Jan 08 with 70k miles should set you back less than €2k VRT. Note SRi has windy up windows in the back if that matters AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Lemlin wrote: »
    2. '08 for lower tax.

Every time this gets posted in motors god kills a kitten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Lemlin wrote: »
    1. fairly large with boot space as there'll be a car seat in the back and a buggy to go in the boot.

Skoda Octavia. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, did you look at any Vectas here before making the trip across the Irish Sea? Vectras are generally unloved over here so they are going at reasonable prices these days.

An examples:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201106201176158

• Advertisement
Advertisement