Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Web Development Camps? (Ireland)

Options
  • 25-05-2009 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey, i'm 13 years old and i know HTML and CSS. What I want to know is are there any camps for this summer in Dublin that would tutor young students Javascript, PHP, MYSQL , GFX (Graphics,logo's) and more! Because I want to improve my web design and GFX skills in a much faster way!
    Please post any usefull info because web development is my dream!!!
    If you want to have a chat with me you can talk to me on msn or yahoo. look at my profile for the links....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭corkie

Keitho_D wrote: »
    Hey, i'm 13 years old and i know HTML and CSS. What I want to know is are there any camps for this summer in Dublin that would tutor young students Javascript, PHP, MYSQL , GFX (Graphics,logo's) and more! Because I want to improve my web design and GFX skills in a much faster way!
    Please post any usefull info because web development is my dream!!!
    If you want to have a chat with me you can talk to me on msn or yahoo. look at my profile for the links....

Have you tried your local youth club?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Keitho_D

That's the problem! I know youth clubs but they do sports none do technology that is why i posted here for some info and advice !

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

Does it have to be a camp setting? I'm wondering, if you're going to spend several hundred euro on a week or two in a summer camp, would it not be a more effective use of the cash to sit a course that would have certification at the end (many of which will cost a similar amount to a summer camp, but will span a number of weeks instead of just one)?

For example - http://www.nightcourses.com/search.html?op=showcourse&row_id=1009718&coll=Senior-College-Dun-Laoghaire&id=336

I haven't checked in depth for age requirements or anything, but I'm sure there are courses of a similar nature in other schools and colleges - perhaps provided by local authorities or adult education boards (I know they're called Adult Ed but they often provide courses that are open to all - for example, I learned, and was certified, to touch type while I was in secondary school as part of a programme provided by Adult Ed).

You could try www.nightcourses.com or www.qualifax.ie to find courses that are available.

(Re: summer camps, I couldn't find any info, sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

As I posted, I remembered reading something about a CS summer camp in NUI Maynooth.

Info is here: http://www.cs.nuim.ie/summerschool2009/ it says that it's for age 14-18, not sure how flexible that is. It may be worth checking out. Also worth seeing if other colleges have similar programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Check out CTYI in DCU. It's a cmp that covers some tech stuff. Don't know what though. I think there's a CTYI board here on boards, so maybe you can ask them:

http://www.dcu.ie/ctyi/sitemap.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭justforgroups

Don't want to burst your dream kid, but web design work is supremely suited to outsourcing.

A number of Irish companies have dropped their Irish web design partners in favour of companies from South America. The SA's can do the job for a fraction of the cost of Irish companies and standard of their work is very high.

As the ease of remote working increases, I can only see this trend accelerating over the next few years.

I've no doubt you know your stuff but unfortunatly quality doesn't matter in the world of business - only the cost! Welcome to life! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

that's nonsense, quality matters to those who can appreciate it. Best of luck with your studies.

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    that's nonsense, quality matters to those who can appreciate it. Best of luck with your studies.
    Couldn't agree with you more.
    But the people holding the purse strings do not appreciate the nuances of technical development. If something "is good enough" then the only consideration is cost.

Believe me, have been through it, trying to save Irish jobs. No use. They're not technical. They don't care - if they can click on something and it takes them to a webpage, they don't care whether it's written in CSS, HTML, PHP, or ASP! It's only cost at the end fo the day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

I haven't found that the case with people I deal with.

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    I haven't found that the case with people I deal with.
    Let's hope so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

My company outsourced some php work to uruguay and the standard
    was anything but high. Of course that may be the exception rather than
    the rule. The price was right but my company was somewhat chastened
    by the experience and now realize you sometimes get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Don't want to burst your dream kid
    Really? Cause from your post it seems like you relished the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

I was wondering the same thing myself dude!

I'm 16 and I've got XHTML, CSS, PHP, and MySQL under my belt.

But I want more experience with PHP and MySQL before I move onto JavaScript and other programming languages.

Mind you, the difference is that I don't want to be a web developer or anything, I'm into web startups. But all the same, I want to know more.

Advertisement