Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Supercar Driving Experiences

Options
  • 13-11-2006 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Has anyone ever done a supercar driving experience? I'm turning 21 in a few months and I was thinking about doing this as part my present:

http://www.thruxtonracing.co.uk/ultimatesupercar.html

I'm just wondering if its worthwhile and if you get moneys worth? €700 is pretty expensive! Does anyone know how long you get and if you can actually drive the cars hard or do you have an instructor making sure that you crawl around the track?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

I did one of these last, year but would say the full €700 day is not the way to go. You will get a warm up lap or 2 driven by an instructor in something like an Impreza WRX and they show you the line of the track etc and how & where to brake.

After that its 4 or 5 laps in each car and foot to the floor! Instructor sits in with you, but encourages you to push the car. I got up to 200mph in a lambo in the wet!

My package was a warm up in the track car (driven by the instructor) then 5 laps in the lambo, worked out at £99, well worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

My wife did something like that a few years ago and she i still talking about it. She drove a few ferrari's, lotus elise, Evo and a few others (she didnt remember the makes\models!!!), she said the ferrari's were brilliant but the evo and cheaper cars were far more fun, they had a few big engined rear wheel drive cars on a gravel track and they didnt care what you did to them, she said that was the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

bf wrote:
    I got up to 200mph in a lambo in the wet!

:eek: are you sure it was MPH and not KMPH

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Have done the Palmer Sport day and the Bedford Autodrome - I thought it was great value as I wasnt paying however I would struggle to justify the £1000 !

http://www.palmersport.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

yep i did it, was good fun, drove a 430, porsche turbo, slk 350 and a Murcielago. It was nice to drive these cars, but i dint really get to push them too hard and you always feel that you didnt get enough time in them

theres photos in the throxton gallery under photos here
    click here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

bf wrote:
    I did one of these last, year but would say the full €700 day is not the way to go. You will get a warm up lap or 2 driven by an instructor in something like an Impreza WRX and they show you the line of the track etc and how & where to brake.

After that its 4 or 5 laps in each car and foot to the floor! Instructor sits in with you, but encourages you to push the car. I got up to 200mph in a lambo in the wet!

My package was a warm up in the track car (driven by the instructor) then 5 laps in the lambo, worked out at £99, well worth it!

Can you confirm where this was and in what car? There are not too many tracks where this would have been possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

bf wrote:
    I got up to 200mph in a lambo in the wet!

Bullsh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

Turbo, I saw the pictures on your bebo, they look absolutely class!! What speed did u hit in the Murcielago? I'd say that I will go for it, does it take a full day or is it just half a day or how is it set up? How many laps did you get in each car?

SGKM wrote:
    Turbo, I saw the pictures on your bebo, they look absolutely class!! What speed did u hit in the Murcielago? I'd say that I will go for it, does it take a full day or is it just half a day or how is it set up? How many laps did you get in each car?

thanks

the day started off with a briefing
    then 3 laps in a rx-7 with the instructor driving
    then 3 laps in the rx-7 with me driving
    then 4 laps in the SLK 350
    then 4 laps in the Porsche Turbo
    then 4 laps in the F430
    & finally 4 laps in the Lambo!

Top speed for the day was just over 140mph in the Ferrari, it was just under that in the Lambo. I thought the Ferrari was the best car and had a good bit of fun in it. I didnt really enjoy the lambo, werent really allowed to push it and have fun.

I think now they should have the new Porsche Turbo and the lp640 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

bf wrote:

Were did you do it for 99 quid? Would be a brillaint present for my dad for xmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

turbo wrote:
    yep i did it, was good fun, drove a 430, porsche turbo, slk 350 and a Murcielago. It was nice to drive these cars, but i dint really get to push them too hard and you always feel that you didnt get enough time in them

theres photos in the throxton gallery under photos here
    click here

I was looking into doing this myself maybe next summer, whats the best why to get there? fly & hire a Car? or ferry over with your own car maybe with 2 other 3 other friends?
    What about Full Irish Driving Licence, it this enough? or do you have to have UK licence?

Mc-BigE wrote:
    I was looking into doing this myself maybe next summer, whats the best why to get there? fly & hire a Car? or ferry over with your own car maybe with 2 other 3 other friends?
    What about Full Irish Driving Licence, it this enough? or do you have to have UK licence?

i went with 2 of my friends, we flew to southampton in the south of England in the morning and then rented a car to thruxton, the drive took under a hour.
    The experience started at about 12.30

Then after the experience ended at about 4, we drove back to the airport and caught a 6.30 flight and we were home for 8pm. It cost us just under 800 euros each for flights, renting the car and the supercar experience also.

Advertisement