Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iguanas - suitable pets?

Options
  • 19-07-2009 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Iguanas Living Like Dinosaurs
    This should show why iggys are not a suitable pet.
    Stress in captivity -small tanks suck and iggys die in 99% of pets!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Demonique

That programme mentions nothing about them being unsuitable as pets.

It's a documentary about wild iguanas.

If you want to stop people keeping them as pets then point them to relevant videos like aftermaths of green iguana bites, etc.

I tried to keep them before, i actually really enjoyed. But the byting was bad . To be honest i started seeing them as glorified decorations. You have to remember they get huge. Byting will always be there especially around breeding season . I still think they are a wonderfull animal .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

Yep I personally believe they should banned there import,there are hundreds of other lizards out there that make way better pet that green Iggy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

If you want a friendly lizard then get your self a Bearded Dragon.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭aboutimeilogin!

Demonique wrote: »
    That programme mentions nothing about them being unsuitable as pets.

It's a documentary about wild iguanas.

If you want to stop people keeping them as pets then point them to relevant videos like aftermaths of green iguana bites, etc.

it merely demonstrates their living requirements and unsuitability as
    "pets"
    how many iguanas die every month/year while being cared for by
    idiots who are oblivious to the animals needs?

• Advertisement

If you like the Iguana look and want a friendly pet. Go for a chinese water dragon .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

Hi, Green Iggys can reach 7 foot in lenght I sh*t you not. They bite (Hard) and whip their tales harder, they are rarely tamable and enjoy daily swimming, in a bathtub preferably. they usually come in riddled with parasites. If you cannot devote an entire room to an iggy with a bath tub or indoor pond then I suggest a different reptile. Iggys are NOT for beginners just ask any herper. Dont believe me ask in reptile havan yourself. sorry for being so direct but i'm just trying to save you from a potentially disasterous decision.

Advertisement