Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vitae and TR Cassette Stoves

• 29-07-2015 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

I am looking at replacing 2 fireplaces with stoves.

It was suggested for the main fireplace which is lit most often to consider the Vitae 6kW.

http://heatdesign.ie/vitae-6#.VbiaL_lViko

rsz_vitae_6kw_lifestyle_new-960x395.jpg

For the 2nd fireplace which is lit less frequent the TR 5c was suggested.

http://heatdesign.ie/tr5c#.VbiEnvlViko

TR5c-Stove-960x395.jpg

I am interested in peoples experiences or opinions on the above as I know practically nothing about stoves. :o

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

The Vitae is a decent stove.
    Riddle system can jam a bit with coal but if you burn it correctly you should be ok.Overall a good choice.

However the TR 5C I would not put in the same category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    The Vitae is a decent stove.
    Riddle system can jam a bit with coal but if you burn it correctly you should be ok.Overall a good choice.

However the TR 5C I would not put in the same category.

Any better/alternative suggestions to either?

As I said I would consider a Vitae for myself.
    Good stove at a good price.

Alternative to the TR 5C.
    In cassette very little in that price range.
    Up on price would be the following-
    Stovax Riva 40
    Contua i4
    Henley Faro/Lisbon 400

In insert however there is a lot of option similar in price with better quality.
    Henley Achill 6.6 would be a popular choice.
    Sperrin 5kw inset looks decent quality.
    Inis Boffin Insert is a safe bet.
    Apollo 5kw is another along with Precision insert 5kw.

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    As I said I would consider a Vitae for myself.
    Good stove at a good price.

Alternative to the TR 5C.
    In cassette very little in that price range.
    Up on price would be the following-
    Stovax Riva 40
    Contua i4
    Henley Faro/Lisbon 400

In insert however there is a lot of option similar in price with better quality.
    Henley Achill 6.6 would be a popular choice.
    Sperrin 5kw inset looks decent quality.
    Inis Boffin Insert is a safe bet.
    Apollo 5kw is another along with Precision insert 5kw.

Thanks for the feedback! We are actually now thinking about removing the mantle and surround from the room where the fire is lit less often.

We want to place the TV on the chimney breast so want a stove to look something like this:

BURCOTT-IMG_4725_CAP_2012-960x395.jpg

Note: We do not want the TV mounted to high up the chimney where you would have a creak in your neck trying to watch so ideally we would want it as close to above the stove as possible within a comfortable field of view when seated.

Any recommendations on such stoves? Also what options exist to put a sort of "heat break" above the stove to stop the bottom of the TV melting?

This is the fireplace we would be removing:

356871.jpg

Look for a stove with a low distance to combustibles so overhead.
    That would require a good bit of research.
    I wouldn't know all stove combustible distances off the top of my head I am afraid.
    The lower the KW the likelyhood the lower the distance to combustibles.

• Advertisement

For the installation of the Vitae stove in existing fireplace, liner, terminal, adapter, backfill, black granite back panel including fitting I am getting a price of around €2k inc vat.

How does this compare to what people have paid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭RonnieL

eddiem74 wrote: »
    For the installation of the Vitae stove in existing fireplace, liner, terminal, adapter, backfill, black granite back panel including fitting I am getting a price of around €2k inc vat.

How does this compare to what people have paid?

I'm looking at the same stove. Haven't figured out yet if I'm going to need the flue lined, but to your question, the prices in the linked page would indicate you're in the right ball park at 2K

http://www.bpmsupplies.ie/vitaestove6kw.html

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mick23

can this stove be installed with a 4 sided frame ie like a hole in the wall look?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭RonnieL

mick23 wrote: »
    can this stove be installed with a 4 sided frame ie like a hole in the wall look?

I'm not expert but I'm pretty sure it can. I got a 3 sided one, but I noticed on the site of the crowd I bought it from that there was an option of a 4 sided model. http://www.naturalgreenenergy.ie/catalogue/heat-design-vitae-6kw-p_446-/

Advertisement