Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Double Sided Stove with Back Boiler

• 23-08-2011 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

We are in the process of designing our house and have decided to look at a Double Sided Mulitfuel Stove with a Back Boiler. We hope this would heat an open plan living space Kitchen / Dining Room / Living Space Area and use the back boiler to heat the Radiators downstairs and possibly upstairs.

Has anyone out there any experience with one of these stoves?

Its difficult to find many options, one that i have come across is this type of stove.....
    http://www.woodburningstovesni.co.uk/products/boru-stoves-with-back-boiler

Any Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Anyone ???

Mods: can you move thread if you think it might get more responses there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Heat Distributors up in Finglas do them.

Pic of this little mosnter I saw a while ago up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

paddy147 wrote: »
    Heat Distributors up in Finglas do them.

Pic of this little mosnter I saw a while ago up there.

Thanks Paddy,

I have seen a few of those 2 sided stoves, the question is are they any good?

Im particularly interested in the Boiler versions and how they perform!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Mcorriga

Hi duffer,

Wondering did you end up finding one of these. We are also in the process of designing a kitchen with one of these

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kevin cronin

I am also intrestedin get a doublesided stove but not sure where to get a good one. all ideals????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Diamond Dust

A

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The answer to the 2 posters above,is in post number 3.

Have a read of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭New build in sight

I am exploring stoves that can be double sided and with a back boiler too, i have only found the Boru one, and we visited a store today that said that he thinks the Boru one only comes in a 20kw one rather than their 30kw one which is probably what we would need. Has anyone found any other stoves that can be double sided and with a boiler?

There are a few double sided boiler stoves around but they are not going to be greater than 20kw. The problem with boiler output from double sided stoves is the very fact that they are double sided. this means that the actual boiler area is greatly reduced. the 2nd door basically removes what would have been the whole back of a normal stove. and with out this boiler area the heat transfer to the water is greatly reduced

• Advertisement

TPM wrote: »
    There are a few double sided boiler stoves around but they are not going to be greater than 20kw. The problem with boiler output from double sided stoves is the very fact that they are double sided. this means that the actual boiler area is greatly reduced. the 2nd door basically removes what would have been the whole back of a normal stove. and with out this boiler area the heat transfer to the water is greatly reduced

Thank you for your post, I went into a Stove and Fireplace store the other day and they had a Boru in store which was 20kw and he said it could be got in double sided. But I asked him to check if the 30kw one could come double sided and I have since received a call from him to say that it can be done, they said it is a custom made type of situation and it works out at about €400 euro more. I reckon money well spent. But we will continue to look to see if there are any others out there first before we take teh plunge, I would just love to hear from someone who has one and used one to see just how good they are.

Thank you for your post, I went into a Stove and Fireplace store the other day and they had a Boru in store which was 20kw and he said it could be got in double sided. But I asked him to check if the 30kw one could come double sided and I have since received a call from him to say that it can be done, they said it is a custom made type of situation and it works out at about €400 euro more. I reckon money well spent. But we will continue to look to see if there are any others out there first before we take teh plunge, I would just love to hear from someone who has one and used one to see just how good they are.

You should check the figures for that before you consider it, I would imagine that the most of the 10kw increase would be to the room rather than the water, this may or may not suit your needs. But if it is going to be custom made it might be difficult to get the actual figures

I realise that, and we would be anxious about taking that gamble, i am hoping someone on here has used one or has some experience with them before we take the plunge.
    But surely a 30kw stove with a boiler is a decent stove?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

I expect nobody will listen but here goes:

I can assure you that no reputable manufacturer will make a double sided stove with a boiler because they can't rate the heat output and the fact that the boiler is across the top of the stove means it will constantly be suffering from carbon build up.

Very few recommend a stove with an output capability above 15Kw because they need constant refuelling, almost to the point where you need a wheel barrow to bring the fuel to it.

If you think you need 20Kw plus and have a sufficient supply of good dry wood (could be as much as ten tonnes per year) think about a wood gasifying boiler complete with buffer tank.

The dedicated boiler will perform as expected, be a lot more efficient, keep the mess out of your house and with the buffer you can add other heat sources should you wish.

I cant comment about why manufacturers do or dont make double sided boiler stoves, but personally I dont see the merit in them.

A stove burns fuel in relation to the heat demand and yes a 30kw stove running flat out will require much more fuel that a 15kw unit, but if you periodically require more than 15kw a larger stove can provide this at those times and still burning almost as efficiently at lower outputs as smaller stoves.

Gasification boilers are a very efficient way of burning good quality dry wood. they have yet to become as popular as they deserve to be here. I think this is due to the initial cost of the boiler and the need for a buffer tank and the required work and storage to maintain wood in the required conditions, plus the fact people like the versatility of multifuel stoves, burning dry and wet wood(regardless of efficiencies) coal and turf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

Part of the problem is a stove does not automatically modulate, if you have a stove twice the size of what you really need you have to control the air input to reduce the output.

This causes incomplete combustion which can lead to chimney problems from condensate build up, there is also the danger of carbon monoxide, a smaller stove firing properly is the most efficient and safe way to burn fuel.

Any stove depends on good quality fuel to achieve the stated output, the stove is just a steel box it is the fuel that provides the heat, all fuel is too expensive to waste so I suggest careful planning of how to get the best out of the stove and the fuel.

Burning wet wood is a total waste as the majority of the energy is used to dry the wood, water does not burn however it does turn to steam and cause creosote build up in the flue, the same can be said of turf its all down to the quality of the fuel.

Coal should only be used in stoves designed for the higher burning temperatures.

I always advise customers who are considering installing stoves with boilers to ensure they have a reliable source of good quality fuel, as I stated earlier fuel is not cheap so why not get the most out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PippyKG

New Build in Sight / Duffer .... dying to know if you went ahead with the double sided stove?

We're thinking of getting one in between our sitting room and dining room and we are just starting to research it when I found these posts. would love to know if you progressed with it, where you bought it and is it as successful as you hoped?

Feel totally out of my depth on this one as I know nothing about stoves, wattages, fuels, etc so any advice in relation to it these double sided stoves would be really appreciated.

thanks in anticipation!

Pippy

PippyKG wrote: »
    New Build in Sight / Duffer .... dying to know if you went ahead with the double sided stove?

We're thinking of getting one in between our sitting room and dining room and we are just starting to research it when I found these posts. would love to know if you progressed with it, where you bought it and is it as successful as you hoped?

Feel totally out of my depth on this one as I know nothing about stoves, wattages, fuels, etc so any advice in relation to it these double sided stoves would be really appreciated.

thanks in anticipation!

Pippy

Hey Pippy, yes we did! I can't comment yet on how wonderful it is as we havent moved in yet, but we went with the Boru one in the end and we didnt go with a back boiler with it, as we are putting a back boiler on the other stove in the other room which is not double sided. I cannot wait to see it in action and i will try and remember to post here when i do :)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PippyKG

Thanks New Build .... good luck when you move in! exciting times! Pippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11 Cass007

Hi Guys,

Any more updates on how your double sided stove performed? any Pictures? I am beginning a new build myself and really would like to put in a double sided stove with a back boiler. But i have heard reports that they are hard to keep going with fuel?
    any help or info would really be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Shelly2013

Hi all,
    Researching the double sided stove myself for a new build in the new year. Any update or feedback on how you got on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 phour

Hi, I'm currently in the process of a self build & am hoping to fit a double sided stove with a back boiler, it will be in between an open plan sunroom & kitchen. I would love to hear from someone who has this fitted & functioning? How efficient is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

Double sided free standing boiler stoves are a waste of time.
    The water jacket is not physically large enough to provide sufficient hot water to heat a large number of radiators.
    A cassette double sided boiler with a top boiler would be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 phour

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    The water jacket is not physically large enough to provide sufficient hot water to heat a large number of radiators.

Thank you. I'm hearing so many mixed reviews, to hear from someone who actually has one is a great help ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eastsuper

Sanchez83 wrote: »

Having spent lots of hours reading up on double sided stove boilers I still am not sure of what I need. Of all the information given I feel that your answer makes the most sence to an amature like myself. A question for you please, can you recomend such a boiler to me please the kitchen/dining room is 20 X 25 ft, 11 radiators (presently running on oil) and an electric Hotpress boiler the work will be done in Waterford. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭HelenV

Eastsuper wrote: »
    Having spent lots of hours reading up on double sided stove boilers I still am not sure of what I need. Of all the information given I feel that your answer makes the most sence to an amature like myself. A question for you please, can you recomend such a boiler to me please the kitchen/dining room is 20 X 25 ft, 11 radiators (presently running on oil) and an electric Hotpress boiler the work will be done in Waterford. Thank you

Hi Eastsuper, I'm wondering how you got on with your double sided stove search and if you've had one installed how successful it was.

I'm seriously considering going with the Boru Carraig Mor boiler version but would really appreciate the views of others first.

Advertisement