Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me economically equip my new tank!

Options
  • 21-08-2015 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭

I currently have a fairly clapped out 180l tank, with bits and bobs of equipment from all over the place. Some cheap crappy LED lights that I inherited, a biobox internal filter, a small internal filter (can't remember the brand), a small pump for running an air curtain and a 200w heater.

I'm collecting a new tank tonight, (second hand but new to me I mean). It's a 370l tank with a 100l sump. The seller is keeping all the equipment for his new tank so I'm starting from scratch. It's also my first time using a sumped tank.

I need a heater, return pump for the sump, lighting unit, and filtration media for the sump. I know that the all those run up the electric bill, and I believe that the heater is the heaviest user so not much I can do about that.

I've had 2 recommendations for filter, the Jebao DC-300 and the Eheim 3000. I'm told that the Jebao is much more economical, but the Eheim is the better pump. Is the reduced power consumption likely to make much difference?

Using this calculator, it looks like the lighting is a fairly small power compared to the filter or heater, so is it worth trying to save by going LED?

Also, how many units per day would people estimate that a tank of that size uses? I'm considering a night meter anyway (I have an electric car) so I'm wondering how many units the tank would contribute to my total during the night.

Thanks!

Comments

Advertisement