Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending dog off To School

Options
  • 05-08-2009 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi guys

Heading on holidays soon, and sending my puppy off to training school while we are away

Just wondering, if he will loose his personality as a result of this and just become a "robot" and wait for your command for everything ?

I hope not as I like when he goes off about his own around the house/garden and plays away!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Personally i would never send my dog away to be trained, most of the training is involving the owner and training them too and bonding with the dog.
    You also dont know what they will do to your dog and how they will reprimand them etc so i would never, ever send my dog away to be trained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I would never send my dog to Doggy school .

Dog Training is not just about the dog its about training you and the Dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Have to agree with the above posts. I brought one of my dogs to training and it was as much about my handling as it was about him learning. Not only do you learn together but you bond much better, and you learn that obedience is not about punishments and strict rules but about understanding your dog and making it fun to learn.
    It's so easy to let them slip back to old bad habits if you don't maintain the training. You need to be present there to learn too.
    Sending him away seems a bit like military school to me and I wouldn't reccommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

Is there anyone that would recommend it ???

I'm really begining to have 2nd thoughts now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

To be honest, I really can't see how it would work. I've found with my dog (a basically good but sometimes stubborn terrier cross) that the way to best way to train him is by finding out how to motivate him. Most of training is building up that bond between human and owner and is as much about teaching the owner how to read the dog etc. as it is about getting the dog to do as it's told.

I'd also be very reluctant to send my dog to someone when I couldn't be sure if his methods were positive or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    Is there anyone that would recommend it ???

I'm really begining to have 2nd thoughts now!

Its got to do with pros and cons and to be honest bob I can only think of cons. Do you mind me asking how much this will cost?

You dont know what they are doing to your dog when you arent there, god knows what they could do to him and how they are treating him, that would be my main worry. Id never give my dog to anyone to train while i wasnt there and no one would be ever able to convince me otherwise.

Why not wait til you come back from your hols and enrol in a class when you can both enjoy it and learn together and know your dog is in safe hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Maria3

I agree with this article i sent my dog to school and he greatly improved he now understands every little gesture or sign i make.I am happy coz it seems i am living with a human being

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Never done it myself, but i'd have to say dog training is 50-50 no? You have to learn how to command, they have to learn to obey. How will you know what he's learnt if you're not there? He may be great at school and do what they say but who says he'll do what you say when he comes home? You have to think of the mindset. The trainers will be the pack leaders but you might not be. Have you had recommendations from friends of this place? Personally I would rather go with my dogs to class then send them off

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

I have to agree with the majority above.
    Training a dog - particularly a puppy, as you state - is just as much about training you as it is training the dog. I bring mine to school every week, and every week I learn something new (maybe I'm a bit thicker than the dog though eh!).

What breed is the pup and what training is it that he will be getting? Is it basic commands or is it obedience/agility/schutzhund etc?

Interesting to note that some guard dogs are trained to their lead, ie, because they are hired out to different sites/clients the dog needs some sense of who is in charge, so as long as you have their lead in your hand all the time they are fine with you, will take commands etc. Forget the lead and they treat you as, an intruder, so no nice dog anymore!

• Advertisement

He's a red setter

7 1/2 months old

Major problems are jumping up on people in the house/not coming when called/running off after other dogs/pulling on the lead

Also the fact that we are away and have peace of mind that he is being looked after as well is a bonus

its going to cost 400 euro for the 2 weeks, but im seriously considering cancelling it after all these positive comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Have you gotten recommendation of this place? Have you walked around the premises? Seen things in action so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Personally I wouldn't, but I have no experience of sending a dog away to be trained so can't comment on the methods. Are you happy with the methods they use? Have they explained their methods and reasoning to you?

I'd keep my €400, put him in kennels and buy him a nice big juicy bone for when you get back from your hols!

The problems you mention are not serious issues. Bit of training (yourself) and he'll be as good as gold... hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

He's a red setter

7 1/2 months old

Major problems are jumping up on people in the house/not coming when called/running off after other dogs/pulling on the lead

Also the fact that we are away and have peace of mind that he is being looked after as well is a bonus

its going to cost 400 euro for the 2 weeks, but im seriously considering cancelling it after all these positive comments

he is the perfect age for training , after a few lessons he will do all of the above .
    Lead training only takes 5 mins a day and after the forth day you should really see a change .
    If you have a local dog training club nearby i would advise to go to one , it will save you money as well.

I would only send a dog away to be trained as a last resort and if the behaviour was much much worse .

He's a red setter

7 1/2 months old

Are you mad? 400 euro? there are plenty of dog training classes that are on that cost way less than that are much better and at least you are learning with the dog and YOU are training the dog and not some stranger.

Ill say it again, you dont know what these people are doing to your dog to train it, ie certain methods, are they physical etc. I certainly would not leave my dog unattended with people ive never met and dont know what they are up to while im not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have to agree, he'd be better off in a good quality kennels for the two weeks. They are used to all sorts of dogs and a good kennel will probably automatically have him sitting and behaving a lot better. Esp. if he's worn out with lots of walks. Ok you have to pay extra for the extra attention but on avereage a kennel costs at the most around €21.00 a day some are around €17.00 depending where you go.

Visit the kennels first before bringing the dog there to be sure you are happy with it.

Training classes can be as little as €75.00 to €80.00 for four to six weeks as in you go once a week for an hour or two. So each lesson costs approx. €15.00 a session. Only use a trainer that uses humane methods of training no shocks, no shouting and no smacks etc.

You would be suprised what you and your dog will get out of even one lesson.

Red setters are a handful, someone we know is training a young on at the moment (to point or whatever you call it) because the elderly owner can't cope with his bouncyness. Red setters are a lovely dog but nutty as fruitcakes and total Houdinis so training with the owner one on one is so important.

Are there any training classes in County Louth ?

I think i have decided against the school now, everyone has had very fair points and I thank you for the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Was the training school in Louth?

Is it run by a guy who has trained as a dog trainer in Germany and USA?

I was considering sending my dog to him next time I am going away.

My dog is currently half way through obedience classes at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Maureen is located in Louth and is excellent highly recommend her she really knows her stuff.
    http://www.dogsbehavingbadly.ie/

Advertisement