Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidls Deluxe range for Christmas

Options
  • 11-12-2014 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else getting excited about this ? Lidl seem to have pushed the boat out this Christmas stocking a range of game meats that are pretty difficult to source on the Irish market otherwise. I'm really looking forward to trying their offerings, on my radar is their
    -Argentinian Hare Fillets
    -Leg of Wild Boar
    -Kangaroo steaks
    -Ostrich steaks

Link here
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/4795.htm

Anyone know any tricks with these meats? I was thinking of just doing the kangaroo and ostrich on a griddle pan like steaks, I'm not aware that they are typically matched with a specific sauce or jus? The others I'm not so sure what to do. I know in Tuscany a local speciality is wild boar wrapped in pasta and its absolutely delish so I'd love to give that a try if anyone knows any recipies ?

Also for anyone interested they've got a really superb range of pates for Christmas, also small bottles of truffle oil for only €1.29 and 0.1g of saffron strands for €1.29 too, might be handy for people who use saffron only a few times a year but don't want to spend €9 on the saffron available in Dunnes/Tesco. On the Lidl shelf they had the saffron listed as €12,900 per kilo :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Kangaroo is great....huge pouch for the stuffing. Watch the ostrich though, has a tendency to put it's head in the stock. Watch the hare too actaully....cook it wrong and you might just give everyone the trotts.
    :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The kangaroo is bound to be nice. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I always found kangaroo a bit bouncy in texture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Kanga and Ostrich are both delish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Muahahaha wrote: »
    and 0.1g of saffron strands for €1.29 too, might be handy for people who use saffron only a few times a year but don't want to spend €9 on the saffron available in Dunnes/Tesco.

Ooh, might avail of this. And the crab meat, I always baulk at buying it as it's so expensive but god is it is ever nyommy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I cooked the ostrich steaks recently. It's a 300g pack and it contained 3 individually vacuum sealed medallions. So each piece was small. I bought them up to room temp, season and quickly fried (like a steak). Managed to get them medium rare (Andy more and they'd have been dry!).

I've tried several other things from the range. Dried hams are lovely, not crazy on truffle spread. Maple fudge and baklava also lovely.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone else getting excited about this ? Lidl seem to have pushed the boat out this Christmas stocking a range of game meats that are pretty difficult to source on the Irish market otherwise. I'm really looking forward to trying their offerings, on my radar is their
    -Argentinian Hare Fillets
    -Leg of Wild Boar
    -Kangaroo steaks
    -Ostrich steaks

Link here
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/4795.htm

Anyone know any tricks with these meats? I was thinking of just doing the kangaroo and ostrich on a griddle pan like steaks, I'm not aware that they are typically matched with a specific sauce or jus? The others I'm not so sure what to do. I know in Tuscany a local speciality is wild boar wrapped in pasta and its absolutely delish so I'd love to give that a try if anyone knows any recipies ?

Also for anyone interested they've got a really superb range of pates for Christmas, also small bottles of truffle oil for only €1.29 and 0.1g of saffron strands for €1.29 too, might be handy for people who use saffron only a few times a year but don't want to spend €9 on the saffron available in Dunnes/Tesco. On the Lidl shelf they had the saffron listed as €12,900 per kilo :eek:

Joking aside I'm definitely going to have a look at this. Seems like they have nice, unusual things alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Oooh! I've always wanted to try hare! Ostrich is yummy, but I find kangaroo is quite tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Initially I was put off by the hare, as it was being imported from Argentinia, and the food miles seemed a bit excessive, but after a bit of Googling it appears they were introduced there in 1888 and within 2 decades the population had exploded and declared a pest. Same thing in Australia as well. So the hares are wild and hunted rather than farmed as I initially expected. Also apparently Germany imports about 50% of the hare meat produced in Argentinia. I always wondered where all those "Hasenruckenfilets" on German menus came from, now I know!

Ostrich and Kangaroo is fair game (!), but I still have a bit of a problem with their New Zealand venison. Living in a county where there is apparently a plague of Sika deer, it seems daft to be importing the stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've sometimes been by their range, but honestly have not idea what to do with ostrich, kangaroo, etc.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the thread OP. Went to Lidl on Friday and really stocked up! Got lobster, crab claws, scallops, some of that saffron and a few other bits & bobs.

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

If you're unsure what to do with ostrich - bought them a fortnight ago, defrosted them in the fridge, then cooked them for two minutes (turning every 30 seconds) on a blazingly hot pan with a dash of oil. Phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Loire wrote: »
    Thanks for the thread OP. Went to Lidl on Friday and really stocked up! Got lobster, crab claws, scallops, some of that saffron and a few other bits & bobs.

Loire.

You should look out for their €10 off a €50 shop vouchers running in the Sunday Independent and Sunday World most Sundays lately. It makes a €50 shop into a €40 one which means with Lidls already low prices and a further 20% off you get a lot of food at bargain prices.

I filled the freezer there on Friday, the leg of wild boar was reduced from €13 to €9.99 so I picked up two of them along with the beef bourginon pies, ostrich steaks and venison medallions. I also got the Three Bird roast for €13, just cooked it there this afternoon and it was delish. Looking forward now to cooking the other meats over Christmas, I'm planning another swoop with their voucher to pick up the quail, lobster, crab claws and a few joints but for now I gotta get eating to create the space in the freezer for them :D
    If you're unsure what to do with ostrich - bought them a fortnight ago, defrosted them in the fridge, then cooked them for two minutes (turning every 30 seconds) on a blazingly hot pan with a dash of oil. Phenomenal.

Sounds great, will report back=)

Advertisement