Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof boxs

Options
  • 01-05-2014 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

That time of year again. Planning summer holidays and need to buy a roof box for the car. Something around 450 litre. Looking online at different brands. Exodus, farad, Antares etc. I don't know much about them but hoping to buy a box that wouldn't rattle or flimsy. Any feedback would be appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Try halfords.ie and micksgarage.com.
    Also try adverts.ie or donedeal.ie - you might pick up a bargain!

The design of roof box will depend on whether you also want to get bikes on with the roof box. If you do, you are limited to the longer narrow design. If not you are open to all designs.

I seem to remember hearing that Thule make the Halfords own-brand grey roof boxes (not the Halfords Exodus range) but at a fraction of the Thule cost. But I could be wrong on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Cheapest i know of is:
    http://www.team.ie/roofbox/price-comparision/

I seconds adverts, donedeal, I paid a pittance for a 740l thule.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Thanks guys, those were the places I was looking alright. I think the trick with buying second hand is to get one clean , but not located in the other end of the country. Thule appears to be the rolls Royce of boxes, but as new is pricey. Quality wise I don't know now good or bad the other ones are, feed back from people that have one of these brands is always helpful. I'll keep the eyes peeled !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Personally, for something that's used a handful of times a year I wouldn't overspend on one. Much of a muchness between them.

Main issue with people damaging them is opening them in a high wind a letting go if its really windy get someone to hold the lid or try to face the opening side away from the wind . Ive used the thule straps around the girth to take the strain off when opening in gusty conditions Long narrow ones are better in the wind and less flexure and leverage but if you have saloon car you'll want a shorter box. Which ends up being wider for the same liters and the leverage is much greater.

Older cheap ones didn't have enough iv stabilisation and got brittle with age they all seem to be similar uv stabilised hdpe now.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, I'd be stereo typical mpv guy with a wagon of kids on boat to france. The long ones look better alright for aerodynamics. Ill avoid ones with dodgy wind damaged lids

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Nautilus72

Hi how are things just a quick one try contacting a guy Gavin, he runs a roof box rental out of his house in newcestown. He had a few for sale at summer end last season, a buddy of mine was offered a 470ltr karrite (economy thule box) along with roof bars and foot kit to secure to roof for €310. Same box as myself and cannot fault it. These boxes normally cost 300+ and you have the roof rack and fittings extra about another 200. Worth a call here's the number below.

(021) 733 8381

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

Thule make all halfords Exodus roof boxes, Bars and Fitting Kits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I've a secondhand Fiamma one to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I just got a set of bars from micksgarage, they've the lowest prices I could find online at 100 euros, Google discount codes and you can get a further 10% off

• Advertisement

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    I've a secondhand Fiamma one to sell.

What size one is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I'm not sure tbh , the sticker is gone off it. I'll tape measure it if you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I bought one new in France last year.
    in a auto L'Eclerc (supermarket car section)
    Its 450 Litres and was 120€ and is much better than a lot of the flimsy stuff ive seen here.

The main thing is to make sure you close them properly.
    Also measure the distance between your roof bars before you commit to buy ione.

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    I'm not sure tbh , the sticker is gone off it. I'll tape measure it if you like?

Cheers just roughly trying to figure out fitting a kayak with a roofbox. <ight end up putting the kayak on the side.

Anybody buy or have experience of the crowd in Kildare that are advertising roof boxes on donedeal. The brand box is Antares 450 litre for €220 . The appear to have the TUV stamp on it ??

Anybody buy or have experience of the crowd in Kildare that are advertising roof boxes on donedeal. The brand box is Antares 450 litre for €220 . The appear to have the TUV stamp on it ??

You could ask them for the tuv certificate number and look it up in certipedia. Everything from china claims to have tuv, ul and ce these days.

Advertisement