Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oft neglected tunings.

Options
  • 31-07-2006 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

You know, I've fallen into playing with the same few tunings as of late. It's mainly just standard E or on the 7 String, Bb. But just recently I've gotten back into playing with a larger variety of tunings, including D, drop D, C and so forth. Sometimes I think just playing in a different tuning can give you some fairly unexpected results.

Almost everything I've written lately has been while playing something fairly normal on a different tuning. String-skipping while tuned to drop D provided some extremely unique sounds and riffs that had never really come into my head before.

Anyway, just a different tuning can be quite inspirational, so if you feel stuck in a rut, try give it a go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Cgcggc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

John2 wrote:
    Cgcggc

Hmm, that's a bit odd alright! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

i never really experimented past dropped d or c# but i would like to try some wierd ****

its tough when your playing with people cos not everyone is willing to experiment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I tune down to B every so often, start playing away, and everything that comes to my head would have been at home in a Carcass song.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

GGDGBE, lovin' it lately!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

bass players should tune up more often....seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

i agree a lot of the nic little bass fills u hear are higher up on the neck and blend in much better as a compliment to he rest of the intrusments rather than accompanying them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

a bass tuned up 1 step just has a nice natual punch which is a welcome change

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

open g, open e, and everything tuned down 1 tone

i'm the blues nerd.

Musn't forget Lou Reed's ostrich tuning: all strings tuned to the same note :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

John2 wrote:
    Musn't forget Lou Reed's ostrich tuning: all strings tuned to the same note :D

that's not art, that's being a prat :D

Lou Reed's my favourite prat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

While we're mentioning people's tunings, Nick Drake had some wonderful sounding combinations (coupled with the fact he was a fantastic finger-picker as well, I suppose :)).

Apparently, he never wrote them down. Just kept them all in his head!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

CGCEGC ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

AAAAAA super!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

TBH, I'm having enough fun in E standard although I may tune one of the guitars to C just to see...

Advertisement