Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat lamp for kennell

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

slookie wrote: »
    Hi, our 1 year old boxer cross has his own dog run with a kennell. But for these cold nights, I wanted to have a bit of heat for him. I had an electrician make up a lead with a bulb socket at the end that I can plug in and out from the shed, and leave in his kennell when needs be. So what kind of bulb should I get...infrared or uv? Theres a good few on e bay...something like this?
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Reptile-Vivarium-Infra-Red-Heat-Lamp-Bulb-75W-ES-/400103881172?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item5d280cb9d4

Any help appreciated.

I wouldn't recommend a naked lightbulb like that for a dog, is there no way you could get a plug socket put in, and buy a proper heat lamp for the dog, with a cover over it? They're not that dear.

There are differing schools of thought on what type of bulb to use, some people think that there should be no light from it at all, just the heat, that the dogs needs a period of dark to be able to sleep properly, but then other people disagree, so its up to you really.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

No there's no way I could get a socket out to it. After reading some other threads, think i might go with straw bedding. My father in law is next door and had greyhounds and a few cattle, so can get it there.
    I have a couple more general questions if you dont mind me asking. Regarding fleas and worms etc. How often should I be treating him? Wheres the best place to get the products? Thanks for help

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

You should treat for fleas and worms every three months. I'd get the stuff from a chemist or vet as they're the only ones with licences to sell the real deal. Petshops are not allowed to sell drugs that are effective. I'd be wary of ordering online as you may get counterfeit stuff as the drugs that vets and chemists sell are technically by prescription only and therefore regulated.
    As for heat- could you not get a hanging red lamp like farmers use for calves? They come with long cables. I'd be careful using straw for bedding if this is the case though as you'd have a fire risk.

Ya it's either the lamp or straw...one or the other! Must get that stuff in Chemist so...any idea of rough price? He is a hyper dog, not so much around us, but when other people call to the house. He always jumps up on people, but doesnt bite. Our neighbours have a sheepdog roughly the same size and they literally spend all their time trying to hump eachother...the doggy lipstick is out contantly lol...both are dogs! Is now the right time to get him neutered? Thanks for replies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

He's plenty old to be neutered. Most vets will do it from 6 months on so please get him done asap.

Re the worming or defleaing please get the stuff from the vet and not from the supermarket. What have you been doing for the last year?

• Advertisement

I was using the stuff the vet gave me all along but its just run out. Wanted to know best place to get it, cos this particular vet is a rip off! €70 to get neutered...is that about right?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wetdogsmell

farm supply shops or some hardware shops will have them, i use them if one of my dogs was having pups, or if they had a hard day hunting, they are well worth the time and effort of fitting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

slookie wrote: »
    I was using the stuff the vet gave me all along but its just run out. Wanted to know best place to get it, cos this particular vet is a rip off! €70 to get neutered...is that about right?

Lol, that's very cheap for a boxer x. I paid €150 for a 9.5kg border x male.

There are alot of other threads on here about the price of neutering and I think you'll find that €70 is very good.

Advertisement