Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming rig

Options
  • 31-03-2015 2:37pm

1. What is your budget? [€1500]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming and Internet]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [n/a]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes, not crucial however]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card]

9. When are you purchasing? [Within the next month]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Unlikely I'll need help]

Okay so I threw something together last night and I just wanted some feedback as I'm a relative beginner at this. There's so much choice out there that I'm really unsure about the small differences:

First of all, will these parts definitely fit together? AFAIK they will.
    Is i7 overkill?
    Is 16GB of that kind of RAM sufficient? 32GB seems silly from what I've read.
    Should I possibly get a better motherboard so I could upgrade to DDR4 RAM in the future?
    Do I need a separate cooler? I just threw that in for the sake of it. No idea how to install it at present.
    GFX card seem okay?

Name: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport CL9 DDR3 PC3-12800 1600
    Article number: HV20MJ32DE
    Stock balance: ready for dispatch
    Quantity: 2
    Price per unit: 62,23 €
    Price: 124,46 €

Name: ASRock Z97 Extreme3, Sockel 1150, ATX
    Article number: HV1138RODE
    Quantity: 1
    Price per unit: 118,64 €
    Price: 118,64 €

Name: ASUS PCE-N15
    Article number: HV25APC2DE
    Price per unit: 14,90 €
    Price: 14,90 €

Name: be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 7 600W - bulk -
    Article number: HVR601SBDE
    Price per unit: 76,31 €
    Price: 76,31 €

Name: Cooler Master Hyper TX 3 EVO - Intel/AMD
    Article number: HV30CM34DE
    Price per unit: 19,49 €
    Price: 19,49 €

Name: Crucial MX100 SSD 256GB (2,5", 7mm)
    Article number: HV12Z741DE
    Stock balance: ready for dispatch from 2015-03-30
    Price per unit: 95,99 €
    Price: 95,99 €

Name: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 Gaming 4G, 4GB GDDR5
    Article number: HV1034IMDE
    Price per unit: 280,73 €
    Price: 280,73 €

Name: Intel Core i7-4790K Box, LGA1150
    Article number: HV20479KDE
    Price per unit: 365,99 €
    Price: 365,99 €

Name: Nanoxia Deep Silence DS 3 Dark Black, ohne Netzteil
    Article number: HV203HSCDE
    Price per unit: 68,96 €
    Price: 68,96 €

Name: WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's
    Article number: HV13W1CBDE
    Price per unit: 57,23 €
    Price: 57,23 €

Subtotal: 1.222,70 €
    Shipping costs by UPS-Standard + 11,99 €

Total: 1.234,69 €

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

Everything seems compatible to me, Skt1150/DDR3 motherboards are very well standardised at this stage

Is i7 overkill?
    For gaming no, for most other things yes - CPU is something you shouldn't cheap out on when gaming matters 4790k will do well.

Is 16GB of that kind of RAM sufficient? 32GB seems silly from what I've read?
    Nothing over 8 is ever really used by most games and applications 32 is indeed silly unless you have a very specific need for RAM - I think you have room to spend on 16gb RAM with a higher clock speed - mostly important for overclocking though (although these can easily be upgraded later if it becomes an issue)

Should I possibly get a better motherboard so I could upgrade to DDR4 RAM in the future?
    If you are willing to wait for DDR4 to be more mainstream/affordable you should wait, at the moment the pricing is a little targeted towards "enthusiasts" and represents bad value. Then again you can pay the PC part waiting game forever and never build a PC if you kept waiting for things!

Do I need a separate cooler? I just threw that in for the sake of it. No idea how to install it at present.
    Get an AIO water cooler like the coolermaster nepton 120 - they are piss easy to install and offer solid performance with minimal effort - Stock coolers are almost exclusively rubbish and are worth replacing for numerous reasons.

GFX card seem okay?
    I don't like the "x60" branch of Nvidia cards as they almost always have to be replaced after a year or two. I would only ever buy them if I had the intention of moving to the next series of cards and needed a cheap stop-gap for a few months. I would definitely recommend going with a GTX970 or Radeon 290x over a GTX960 (even with the 970 VRAM marketing issue that flared up recently) - These cards are better all round and offer a real SLI/Crossfire option in a year or two (as opposed to a 960 which would better off being replaced outright)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

If your not video encoding or using programs that can use all the cores/threads i would stick with an i5 over the i7.You wont see any difference in most games atm with the i7 over the i5.

That saving could go towards a bigger capacity ssd or a better gpu.
    That 960 is a bit weak for the cost of it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Get the i7

8 gigs of RAM.

Gtx 970. Don't get the 960

Cheers for the feedback.

I literally picked that gfx out of a hat. I don't know what to look for. Is there anything better than the GTX 970 but still reasonably priced?

I do a bit of amateur video recording and editing so I'd prefer 16GB over 8GB. Should I go for 2x8 or just 1x16? You're saying I should go for higher clock speed RAM? I'll stick with DDR3 as I'll keep the mobo

What about the PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Cheers for the feedback.

I literally picked that gfx out of a hat. I don't know what to look for. Is there anything better than the GTX 970 but still reasonably priced?

I do a bit of amateur video recording and editing so I'd prefer 16GB over 8GB. Should I go for 2x8 or just 1x16? You're saying I should go for higher clock speed RAM? I'll stick with DDR3 as I'll keep the mobo

What about the PSU?

The psu swap for a be quiet system 7 700. Not much in the difference Price wise.

Get the coolermaster Hyper eve 212 30 euro. More expensive but a great cooler.

Personally I'd Get the 2x8 in case one gets shot. So at least your pc still run perfectly fine.

With gtx 970 closest to it is r9 290x. I'd rather the 970 just for less power usage and shadow play( what can I say alot of funny shhit happens when I'm playing) .

• Advertisement
Advertisement