Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Danger781 wrote: »
    What are you on about? :confused: I paid like €50 or something

I rang the HMRC in England and was told it could be anywhere up to £200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Sarz91 wrote: »
    I rang the HMRC in England and was told it could be anywhere up to £200.

That's a load of bollocks anyway I'd say.. Sure it's only 20% in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

This calculator suggests £25 for a monitor marked at $200 - http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

You could have a look through this thread on overclock.net and see what UK importers were charged. The highest I noticed was £40, I don't remember reading anything as high as £200.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭The Red

I was charged €60 for my Qnix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭PatL23

Should i go for a Qnix pixel perfect model or a evolution II model? Theres a difference of about 30-40euro in the price.
    I think id have more peace of mind with the pixel perfect model. But nothing to say it wont be trouble free. Some models are 419usd, others 359 and 339usd.
    Im soo confused :s

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

PatL23 wrote: »
    Should i go for a Qnix pixel perfect model or a evolution II model? Theres a difference of about 30-40euro in the price.
    I think id have more peace of mind with the pixel perfect model. But nothing to say it wont be trouble free. Some models are 419usd, others 359 and 339usd.
    Im soo confused :s

I heard that pixel perfect is pointless because if there is a problem they just refund you the difference between the pixel perfect and the non pixel perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Decided to take a leap of faith and join the club. I paid on 24 November by paypal and card is already debited, I've also received positive feedback from the seller. No tracking number yet though.

PC components should be here on Friday, and I was hoping that all my toys would arrive at the same time. It is supposed to be courier delivered, so (when they do load the van) it shouldn't be that long should it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Ninjah Tigah

druss wrote: »
    Decided to take a leap of faith and join the club. I paid on 24 November by paypal and card is already debited, I've also received positive feedback from the seller. No tracking number yet though.

PC components should be here on Friday, and I was hoping that all my toys would arrive at the same time. It is supposed to be courier delivered, so (when they do load the van) it shouldn't be that long should it?

Depends on the courier. If it's UPS..... :P

Depends on the courier. If it's UPS..... :P

Worst case scenario, I suppose, is that the monitor arrives first and my pc components are delayed. I've nothing else around to test it with, whereas at least I can use a tv with the pc for a bit.

CORSAIR 16GB (2X8GB) 1600MHZ ZWART
    MSI GTX970 GAMING 4G
    SCYTHE MUGEN 4 PCGH EDITION
    INTEL CORE I5 4690K
    CORSAIR 650W RM650 RM SERIES
    WESTERN DIGITAL 2000GB WD RED
    SAMSUNG 500GB 2.5 INCH 840 EVO SERIES
    SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV05 BLACK WINDOWED SST-RV05B-W
    ASUS MAXIMUS VII RANGER DDR3 SOCKET 1150 INTEL® Z97

are still to arrive also. (I know..the 16Gb and the 650W are OTT). The mouse and keyboard are waiting on the desk. The wifi card and a USB satellite card from amazon france. Speakers to follow.

This is what Christmas used to feel like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

Worst case scenario, I suppose, is that the monitor arrives first and my pc components are delayed. I've nothing else around to test it with, whereas at least I can use a tv with the pc for a bit.

CORSAIR 16GB (2X8GB) 1600MHZ ZWART
    MSI GTX970 GAMING 4G
    SCYTHE MUGEN 4 PCGH EDITION
    INTEL CORE I5 4690K
    CORSAIR 650W RM650 RM SERIES
    WESTERN DIGITAL 2000GB WD RED
    SAMSUNG 500GB 2.5 INCH 840 EVO SERIES
    SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV05 BLACK WINDOWED SST-RV05B-W
    ASUS MAXIMUS VII RANGER DDR3 SOCKET 1150 INTEL® Z97

are still to arrive also. (I know..the 16Gb and the 650W are OTT). The mouse and keyboard are waiting on the desk. The wifi card and a USB satellite card from amazon france. Speakers to follow.

This is what Christmas used to feel like!
    Corsair rm650 os absolutely not OTT. I bought myself axi860 only because of zero fan mode. Atm with my overclocked 2500k i5 4.4 ghz, asus GTX970 STRIX slightly overclocked ,plus 4hdds, psu fan never ever bother to start. Not even when i run prime95 and heaven at the same time.
    I wish i could make my pc completely silent

• Advertisement

As above, I ordered on the 24 November and it is still to arrive.

26/11/2014 12:04 Item deposited Korea (South)
    26/11/2014 16:36 Arrival at facilities EMC
    27/11/2014 11:08 Departure from office of exchange
    27/11/2014 14:13 Departure from office of exchange Korea (South)
    01/12/2014 15:44 Arrival at international office of exchange

The bit that is concerning me is that it has arrived in the country but is sitting in a customs office for a week now. Is it just a Christmas backlog? Are the lads taking it apart to google what it's really worth?

My pc parts arrived and (for the most part) are working in blissful harmony and looking good on the Samsung tv. But I want my monitor now. :(

A further update on this. I had to email the customs office in Belgium who finally released it the day after I sent them my email. It was sent for delivery on 11 December and returned to depot as they claimed nobody was home (somebody was there all day and they said the doorbell never rang).

So the bill was €90, which seems absolutely extortionate. The packaging indicated that the monitor value was €200 and Belgian VAT is 21%.:mad: On the other hand, at the post office I just wanted to pick the thing up and get it home so this might be part of the cunning plan. The fact that it was held back for so long meant that I knew I could expect some form of an unpleasant surprise.

On the upside, it's beautiful and I haven't even bothered overclocking it yet. No dead pixels, no screen "bleed" that I can see and no loose casing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Hi guys, I've been trying to look at a 1440p monitor that can be overclocked to 120hz such as the Catleap Q270 2B Extreme but they don't deliver to Ireland.

Could anyone recommend a monitor that is both 1440p AND 120/144mhz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Look for them on ebay.ie (as opposed to .com).

A lot don't get up to 120Hz/144Hz, but most will make it to at least 100Hz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

To bump this, if you were to buy one now, ignoring the fact that 4K is looming, what would you go for?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/QNIX-QX2710-Multi-True10-27-Matte-LED-Monitor-HDMI-2560x1440-Virtual-4K-QHD-/231206106322?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_Monitors&hash=item35d4f534d2

QNIX_DeadPixel_Common.jpg

That image worries me. How much of a "panel lottery" is it?

Full desk setup will be changing in ~2 months so I need to get my parts down so I can buy the arms and desk.

Nobody?

Anyone who has ordered one, get stung for VAT/Duty?

Most people have reported very few dead pixels, if any. For standard orders even, not just ones with a 'pixel perfect' premium. However, there's been one or two stories of loads of dead pixels to the extent where it was returned.

4K is still a bit of a way off for mainstream. At least a year until we get some good options, so I think that these are still a valid choice. Keep in mind the amount of graphics power for 4K too. Mind you, there's more variations of these available in European shops now, so I'd take a look around to see if there's anything else more suitable.

Most people will get charged VAT. Could be €70. Less if you're lucky.

Even if the taxman gets me its ~€340 all in, most reports say 95hz easy, higher if you're lucky, and I dont even have the GPU for that yet (will still game in 1080 for now), will probably pull the trigger on an X-Star (AH-VA Panel) based on Logans recommendations soon. Real estate for PS and developing will be amazing.

Cheers.

Yeah, it's pretty damn handy when you have multiple windows open for viewing at the same time. Really thought it was a worthwhile upgrade from a 23'' 1080P IPS.

• Advertisement

Well, its part of a larger plan for me.

22" IPS vertical
    27" 1440p AHVA Horizontal
    22" TN vertical

Basically annihilating my retinas if anything wakes them during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

I have a Qnix as it as, but another would be too expensive with the awful Euro-pound conversion, so I'm considering getting a PLP setup of 2 24" 1080p? 1200p just seem to expensive for the little extra width.

Can you game on that kind of setup? Primarily I just like screen space, as 27" still seems too small.

Managed to get my QNIX QX2710 up to 110Hz and haven't noticed any issues the last few days :)

FYI I have the model with multiple connection types.

Looking for a decent stand for my monitor if anyone has any recommendations. My setup of placing the monitor on stacked boxes isn't ideal. Would like a stand that can adjust in any direction I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Anyone have experience with the CrossOver 2795QHD? Just ordered one last night, should be here in a couple of weeks. I went for this over the QNIX QX2710 as it is claimed to be PWM flicker-free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Anyone have experience with the CrossOver 2795QHD? Just ordered one last night, should be here in a couple of weeks. I went for this over the QNIX QX2710 as it is claimed to be PWM flicker-free.

I had the qnix, she decided to blow her brains out and keep flickering to death. I am looking to buy another, but I think I really need a proper IPS monitor, the difference in image quality is just unreal. But 144hz and IPS.. hurts the wallet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Apologies if there is a better thread for this but wasn't sure. Basically I have a QNIX Q2710 II Thin and am on the lookout for an adjustable monitor stand for it.

Was curious if there was any other owners who may have fit an adjustable monitor stand I'd appreciate any specific model etc cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

MarkJD wrote: »
    Apologies if there is a better thread for this but wasn't sure. Basically I have a QNIX Q2710 II Thin and am on the lookout for an adjustable monitor stand for it.

Was curious if there was any other owners who may have fit an adjustable monitor stand I'd appreciate any specific model etc cheers

I just used the standard stand that came with it. There are vesa holes, but be very careful, I don't think they are properly supported on the inside. I think there is a guide on the QNIX owners thread on overclock.net

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Well i got an arm that connects to the desk and my monitor so it floats tehre and can move about, if that is of interest? https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Single-Monitor-Display-Mounting/dp/B00MIBN16O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467288354&sr=8-2&keywords=monitor+arm+amazon+basic

Are there any updates with these monitors, any new ones/ I have the qnix for years now and it's class but just wondering what i would get next.

Cheers for the responses. Ye had the standard stand with it but decided with a new build I'd try get a stand.

Thanks for the arm suggestion. Will check it out and similar. Seems pricey for an arm but seems good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Very good arm, think it was 60 when i got it. Sure have a look around for a cheaper one but they are so much better than a stand imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I can't find any mention of that specific model... do you mean the "QNIX QX2710 27″ Evolution II"?

Pictures seem to show a VESA Mounting holes so any VESA compatible stand should work.
    http://techx1.thessdreview1.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/QX2710-Ports.jpg

(Edit: Forum derped super hard for me which is why this looks to ignore all the previous responses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Looks like I was wrong the VESA mount should be ok. I did have to take mine to bits though and I was a bit concerned at the time about the mounting holes on mine though, Id keep an eye on it

Yea sorry its the Evolution II was gonna type that in but phone was derping in the initial post. Iv already removed the actual stand and taken the bezel off so its primed just need to pick something out. Ill check out any 27" compatible VESA stands too.

I'm using an Ergotron LX desk mount stand with my CrossOver 2795QHD (I did buy one in the end). The stand wasn't cheap (I paid about €130) but it's decent quality.

Not sure if the construction of the CrossOver is any similar to the QNIX monitors but the VESA mounts were out of spec in terms of depth - the standard screws are too long so I had to put some washers in-between the stand and monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Long time no see, Catleap thread.

I've got mine in my attic gathering dust since I tore down my gaming PC. Was thinking of getting it out again as a second monitor for a laptop.

I know that to get 2560x1440 you need an active DVI-D to * adaptor, but is it possible to run it at lower res (1080P) without buying an expensive adaptor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Depending on the brand you have, don't most need a dedicated GPU to run these ?

Not sure a laptop can display on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Of course a laptop can display on a high-resolution monitor - just not with VGA or DVI-I (these connections don't have enough bandwidth). It doesn't matter what convertor you use if there is still an obsolete vga port at the end. Yes you could drop the resolution to 1080 and vga would work (but what is the point?).

Modern laptops come with DisplayPort/HDMI usually, which can handle high resolutions fine.

Problem is if you try to play demanding games on laptop, will probably get low framerate at high resolution but this is to be expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

It's not for gaming, just displaying text. Might be hooked up to an iMac either, would that work with a Thunderbolt to DVI cable? Cheers for the replies.

Edit: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/m11x-r1-to-yamakasi-catleap-or-any-other-korean-1440p-monitor.698443/#post-8980245
    This is discouraging!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Thunderbolt supports hdmi 1.4 so should work fine. Note there are 2 types of DVI, only DVI-D works for high resolutions. Normal DVI will not work.

Necro again.

Getting annoyed watching my 22" from a distance, probably time for a 27". Anyone recently purchased?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I've had the Qnix 2710 for a while now. Overclocked to 115Hz without Artifacts. Small artifacts start to appear at 120. Still a great a monitor once you download a proper calibrated ICC profile to match your refresh rate and using Color Sustainer to keep the profile active through all applications.

There is a small light bleed issue which is noticeable on dark backgrounds around the bottom where the stand attaches to the frame. The housing ain't the best but the panel is great.

Not sure what the newer ones are like though.

Qnix, one of my best purchases. Have it on an amazon adjustable arm for for varying height/rotation.

As graphics cards are moving away from DVI outputs I couldn't recommend one of these DVI-only models anymore (IIRC converting DVI-DL to DisplayPort is very tricky or impossible with these).

As graphics cards are moving away from DVI outputs I couldn't recommend one of these DVI-only models anymore (IIRC converting DVI-DL to DisplayPort is very tricky or impossible with these).

Oh thats interesting, hadn't considered that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

My Yamakasi Q270 was giving issues the last few weeks, flickering with artifacts when first turned on.
    After a few seconds it would stabilize and I could work away but it was steadily getting worse and now it won't turn on at all. (Tried different Dual-link DVI's etc)
    (Can't complain really, I got 5 good years from it and it was/is an amazing monitor.)

Anyone have any experience with changing the TCON & Power PCB like this kit on ebay?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-IPS-27-Overclockable-LM270WQ1-PCBs-w-Cables-Main-Board-DVI-Monitor-Input/162739455139?hash=item25e40704a3:g:svUAAOSwRJ9XhTAb

I'm tempted to try it as my panel is perfect, zero dead pixels, and this kit would allow overclocking.
    Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Moon54 wrote: »
    My Yamakasi Q270 was giving issues the last few weeks, flickering with artifacts when first turned on.
    After a few seconds it would stabilize and I could work away but it was steadily getting worse and now it won't turn on at all. (Tried different Dual-link DVI's etc)
    (Can't complain really, I got 5 good years from it and it was/is an amazing monitor.)

Anyone have any experience with changing the TCON & Power PCB like this kit on ebay?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-IPS-27-Overclockable-LM270WQ1-PCBs-w-Cables-Main-Board-DVI-Monitor-Input/162739455139?hash=item25e40704a3:g:svUAAOSwRJ9XhTAb

I'm tempted to try it as my panel is perfect, zero dead pixels, and this kit would allow overclocking.
    Any thoughts?

I don't have one of these monitors but changing the PCB would be pretty easy if you take your time and make sure all ribbon cables are correctly seated.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭laneooo

I got the Crossover 34U100 for just 460 and around 124 customs and I'm super impressed with it just incase nobody has came across these yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

laneooo wrote: »
    I got the Crossover 34U100 for just 460 and around 124 customs and I'm super impressed with it just incase nobody has came across these yet.

Damn that does look impressive for the money.

It's a Samsung VA panel as well which is really hard to get normally. VA has the best picture quality I've seen from any LCD display and they got the response time down to 3ms which is great for a VA.

It's just a shame AMD don't really have a great high end card on the market to make use of the Free-Sync. Vega 56-64 aren't bad, just over priced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

laneooo wrote: »

I've had my Catleap about 4 years now and it's served me very well. I also have a 24" 144 Hz monitor for playing CSGO on.

Would love to upgrade to the 34" curved instead of having two monitors on the desk, very tempted.

Is this the one you got? Or where did you get it from.

• Advertisement

Have my QNIX @ 110hz (120 had a few artifacts so dropped it 10) in perfect condition nearing 5 years, one of the best purchases I've made!

Advertisement