Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frontline????????

Options
  • 11-11-2010 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hi all.I need frontline and some flea powder. Where is the best (cheapest place) to get this on Dublin Northside?;) Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Frontline is only available from the vets, it comes in different doses for the different sized dogs. No need to see the vet, just ask in the office and they will give you the correct dose for your dog.
    Flea powder can be got on most supermarkets though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Spot on treatments are the best solution for fleas and the best way to prevent them - powders and shampoos need a lot of application and are generally a bit of a pain. The best stuff you can get for your money are the products that are sold in vet practices and pharmacies - Frontline, Advantage, ProMeris etc. They usually start at around €7-€10 (sometimes a little more) for a small dog (up to 10kg), but will last from 6-8 weeks and your pet is covered for a whole rage of external (and some cover internal) parasites. The stuff that you can buy at the supermarket is not as good as the products sold in vets or pharmacies (you can also buy some of the same products online!), even though it is initially cheaper you'll get more bang for your buck buying the better quality anti flea treatments.

If you have an infestation in your home - there are bug bombs available that will kill off anything in one room in one go. As far as I know, you can use a flea powder on carpets and such, and then vacuum if off. The vacuum will also need to be your best friend (vacuum everything and anything that could have fleas on/in it - including behind furnature, down the side of the couch and all crevices that the little buggers could be hiding). Dog/cat bedding should be washed in a minimum 60 degrees wash with bio washing powder to kill of any fleas in it, and anything else that can be washed a this temperature should be done also (sheets, pillows etc.). You'll need to vacuum like the bejesus for about 2/3 weeks after your dog/cat no longer has fleas to make sure the house is totally clear.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

If you have an infestation in your home then I'd recommend an environmental spray like Indorex or Acclaim, both will be available from your vet.

They are about €28 but it's a big canister and a little goes a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Thanks all. Brought my shih tzu to blue cross last night and he said she doesn't have many fleas. Told me to get frontline from normal vet. Going down now to get it and some flea powder for house just in case.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Sorry, misread many as any.

Ignore me :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Hi all. Got advantage (26 euro for 4 months supply) and emptied one vial onto the skin on the back of her shoulder blades as directed. O/H is vacuuming like a maniac and practically boiling her bedding etc in the washing machine. I have my little girl booked in to have her groomed and a major hair cut on Tuesday coming. Is this too early after applying the medication? Thanks. I booked this appointment about a month ago.;)

Advertisement