Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first 4x4

Options
  • 30-11-2015 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

So with a big trip in the pipeline I took the plunge and bought this bad boy today.

2008 4.5 V8 turbo diesel. Dual diesel tanks, heavy duty parabolics on the rear and updated coils on the front.

Custom 3" exhaust gives it a monster roar on full noise but it's fine down low.

I'll be fitting roof racks and extra storage boxes to it over the next few months along with another spare etc
    A651BC38-5635-4EEB-B09A-16CA19CD9B2C.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Twin recovery shackles as well.
    Looks well prepped, enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Slideways

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Twin recovery shackles as well.
    Looks well prepped, enjoy it.

Let's hope they are just used for towing nissans out when they get stuck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Nice, proper Land Cruiser with a big engine!

So after 160ks of mostly city driving and a lot of it rather spirited I refilled it. The main tank needle was putting the fear of God into me as it rapidly descended to just over half full.
    22 litres to fill it gives a rough 12.9/100k or about 23mpg I think in old money
    Once the hoon in me subsides it should go up a bit haha

I have my private plate SLIGEACH on my car, do I transfer it or can someone suggest a catchy one for the ute and I'll check availability :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

23 mpg ?
    I hope your right but my 2.5 td5 will only get 28 mpg unless I keep her under 60 (33 is the best I've got in 9 years )
    Well ware its a fine machine,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Nice Cruiser. The 4.5 V8's will do about 12L/100km regardless of how you drive them really.

I've an old 75 series with the 4.2 n/a straight 6 and get about the same...less on hilly terrain as it doesn't have the power your V8 has. It's brought to some remote places still.

When you are going remote, make sure you are equipped. I have 2 snatch bags for emergencies (1st aid kit, survival kit, knife, torches, spare batteries, laser pen, personal water filter thats good for 1000L etc). And if you aren't going with another vehicle, a personal locator beacon is a must. Any trouble out there and hit the button and wait for the helicopter!

I would recommend doing some sort of 4WD course where they teach you proper recovery methods. I've done 2 of them through work and its invaluable for safe recovery.

pete4130 wrote: »
    Nice Cruiser. The 4.5 V8's will do about 12L/100km regardless of how you drive them really.

I've an old 75 series with the 4.2 n/a straight 6 and get about the same...less on hilly terrain as it doesn't have the power your V8 has. It's brought to some remote places still.

When you are going remote, make sure you are equipped. I have 2 snatch bags for emergencies (1st aid kit, survival kit, knife, torches, spare batteries, laser pen, personal water filter thats good for 1000L etc). And if you aren't going with another vehicle, a personal locator beacon is a must. Any trouble out there and hit the button and wait for the helicopter!

I would recommend doing some sort of 4WD course where they teach you proper recovery methods. I've done 2 of them through work and its invaluable for safe recovery.

Cheers Pete.

Defo will get an EPIRB thingy. Slowly will build my kit up as the price of some of the kit scares me!

Looking at getting a waeco or Engel fridge this break. Gumtree getting a good check out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

My best ever drunken Saturday night ebay purchase was a 40l Engel fridge!! Reduced from £800 to £400 at MPS in the UK :D

Keeps my beer and packet of bacon at 4C all weekend at shows on a leisure battery no problem. Suspect you may need to keep it charged a bit more at 40C in the outback though!! :rolleyes:

Slideways wrote: »
    Cheers Pete.

Defo will get an EPIRB thingy. Slowly will build my kit up as the price of some of the kit scares me!

Looking at getting a waeco or Engel fridge this break. Gumtree getting a good check out

At a minimum a set of Max Tracks are really useful although I've been bogged in work twice the past few years and they didn't help (wet soft soil with mulched bark...so impossible to dig down). For sand they are pretty good.
    A long handled shovel is a must too.

I've got a Waeco CXF 40 fridge/freezer. Goes to -22c if you want it to. I've got a dual battery set up on my cruiser thats isolated from the starting battery.
    I've got a small trickle charger for my batteries too so if you are parked up it keeps either battery topped up for longer.
    A guy I work with has a small solar panel on top of his Hilux that constantly charges his 2nd battery for his fridge.

If you join BCF shop as a member they do good deals on fridges and shops like Anaconda always have specials on if you are a club member.

I've got a decent 4WD compressor on special from Anaconda too for airing back up my tyres after any sand driving too. Makes life easier than limping to a petrol station at barely 40kmh on low tyre pressure. KMart do cheaper compressors but with a 4WD it'd take a while for each wheel and might over heat the smaller compressor. If you have space you can get it fitted under the bonnet or if its small enough under the drivers seat.

A battery booster pack is really handy too. I got a decent 1900 amp on special in Super Cheap Auto.

It looks like you've got a UHF radio antenna so probably a UHF radio installed already. I got some small GME TX65 radios for about $115 the pair. Handy if you are out walking to keep in contact with somebody else.

I also bought a little 8L cooler for drinks/snack for about $60 with free shipping
    https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/waeco-tb08-cooler and its a good little unit.

Dick Smith also do a pretty good 12v oven/pie warmer that is surprisingly really good. It gets to about 150c. I've cooked chops, steak, bacon, sausages, toasted sandwiches, heated up pre cooked meals etc with it. Just don't run anything else through the 12v with the oven. It draws a lot of power.

http://www.dicksmith.com.au/navigation-travel/dick-smith-12v-dc-portable-stove-dsau-m4515

It looks like you've plenty of room in the back for carrying water. I've got a 40L water tank slung under the back (well, I did...it needs repairing/replacing right now). You can never have enough water.

Those V8's do have a fantastic rumble even at idle. I am jealous.

Great post Pete, thanks for that!

I've seen those drawers that are built into the tray chassis, will make one of those.
    The plan is to pack in this mining carry on once it all goes tits up, put the toolbox in the back and hit the road just working enough for fuel and the likes. The toolbox will take up some of my room unfortunately but it's a nonnegotiable. Well that and the scuba gear!

I've lots to do but figure I've nearly 6 months to decide on what's what

• Advertisement

I finished up my FIFO job yesterday with redundancy. I was thinking of doing the same thing. renting out my place and going to work rural on farms. decent enough money per hour, sometimes free accommodation and food provided too so your saving money the whole time.

Living the dream if you do it!

Sorry to hear that. I mightn't be far behind you. The mine I'm on is releasing a press statement on Monday.

42F027CE-E920-4255-8FE3-ED6D2F77FDBC.jpg

CF57F6C6-863B-497B-8591-55392D321B47.jpg

One for Sean101

More spamming pics...

Went diving the other day and took some pics in the good weather...

B3CFC6EE-27AE-4526-90A2-BBB38B316954.jpg

5056A89A-9DFF-4A2A-B89B-9B20EEA679A2.png

Looking good! My old truck is in getting repaired....22 year old electrics playing up and aircon to be fixed...then rear main seal and clutch to be done and new brake pads....it's an expensive month. Looking forward to getting it back and getting out again.

Took the cruiser out for a bash in the mud today.

Some awesome rigs out there including some massively jacked up patrols and a Suzuki vitara with full locking hubs

B7AC0F89-0353-4E76-B444-4663143D05B5.jpg

9BA37536-6374-4C3F-9B8F-10C1688EC8F8.jpg

B936DFE0-D47B-40C0-A912-5A30A4CFADB1.jpg

Of course there's always one Benny who bites off more than they can chew :pac:

A7A74593-5372-4FFB-9422-C350AC2A5567.jpg

It's because he's in a Patrol....Cruiser would get through there no bother!

So I kinda bit off more than I could chew a few weeks ago. Water in the cab was the only outcome.

So Slidey has learned. Lets others drive into the shyte and I rescue them. :D

rescue.jpg

A night under the stars with bae :pac:

14963551_10154793922677845_1462214666_o.jpg

Advertisement