Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massey 135 QD Cab

Options
  • 26-11-2015 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi, new to the forum. I have a 1968 135 with sekura cab and purchased a later QD cab hoping it would be a fairly straight forward swap. I have since found out that it will take a lot of work to make it fit, most notably the difference in height of the bonnet (13" grille to 14" grille) leaving the dashboard rubber matting sitting about 2" too high and the threaded holes around the clutch housing required to carry the cab.

If I was to buy any later straight axle model with threaded holes in the housing could I assume that the QD cab will fit directly?
    Would it need the horizontal dry air filter or does this matter?
    Does the bonnet sit higher on all straight axle models?
    I have also seen an MF20 for sale that has all of the above, would it be an option?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Magpie1951

Hi, new to the forum. I have a 1968 135 with sekura cab and purchased a later QD cab hoping it would be a fairly straight forward swap. I have since found out that it will take a lot of work to make it fit, most notably the difference in height of the bonnet (13" grille to 14" grille) leaving the dashboard rubber matting sitting about 2" too high and the threaded holes around the clutch housing required to carry the cab.

If I was to buy any later straight axle model with threaded holes in the housing could I assume that the QD cab will fit directly?
    I have also seen an MF20 for sale that has all of the above, would it be an option?

Many thanks

I have a Massey Ferguson 20 Industrial and the only difference between it and a Agri spec MF 135 straight axle ( 14" Grille) is it has a dual drum braking system and an extra dial ( speedometer dial and a separate rev counter dial) in the dash. The dual brakes just mean you have a stronger handbrake because the handbrake has it's own set of brake shoes as well as the normal set for the pedals. Basically as you look at it there is a larger brake drum than normal and two holes in the backing plates for the extra set of brake adjusters (two on each side as opposed to one on each side!!).You should also see handbrake cable coming out of the backing plates but these could be removed or cut off!! Some lads convert these tractors back to agri spec brakes ( there is a kit you can buy) but I find the brakes fine and as I do some road work the stronger handbrake comes in handy.

None of this should make any difference for what you need and the QD cab should fit fine as it was designed to go on the later straight axle MF 135 which is has the same 14" grille and threaded holes as it's yellow cousin the MF 20.

PM me if you have anymore questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 1968massey135

Thanks for this

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

Yes it would

Not one bit

Not necessarily. Early straight axle models were 13 inch on the grill.

Nope as bonnet profiles are different.

You could however replace the gearbox with a new one that's thread right the way you want it.

If you give up the cab is worth a pretty penny.

Thanks marlyman, ive seen a good clean 1972 135 with flexi cab and horizontal filter that would do the job. when did the pto shaft change to the longer type and was there also a change in lift capacity at this time?

So i got the QD cab refurbed and on to another later 135 and she looks the part. Still looking to change the sekura cab on the older tractor. Was thinking of a c and g cab, theres a few older types about that could be got for decent money. Has anybody any thoughts on these, are the handy enough getting in and out off as doors look a bit narrower at the bottom. The window also seems to fit fairly snug to the steering wheel and worried about catching the fingers?

• Advertisement
Advertisement