Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 Month Contract Problem

Options
  • 26-08-2015 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

My 24-month contract ended in May; all fully paid up. It was my daughter's phone and she is in the UK since before the end of the contract and has a UK SIM there. I then got an invoice for June "services" so I contacted them and told them that I hadn't asked for any extension and didn't want anything further. I got another invoice in July and then a letter from a debt collector in August.

The phone company agree that the contract ended in May but insist that I pay for the extension as I didn't tell them I wanted nothing further until end-June; they considered that to be a 1-month notice hence the July invoice. They say that this was "an option they give to customers" at the end of a defined period contract; but I never received any contact to ask what option I wanted to choose - they just stuck the account on an extension.

Does anyone know if this is legal?

What sort of wording should I use to inform the company why I won't be paying them?

Thanks in advance for any advice; I've never had an issue like this before and don't really know where to start finding info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mobile contracts have a minimum life span but not a maximum. If you don't cancel your contract after the minimum period (24 months in this case) it turns into a rolling contract at that price level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

As already said the contract doesn't stop and end at 24 months it becomes a rolling contract. If you want out sooner rather than later (without 30 days notice) then you can port off to a prepaid pay as you go SIM with who ever you like. When you do that you don't have to contact the company the original contract was with as the new company does that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Crippens1

Thanks; I wasn't aware of those details. What gets me is that they agree the contract ended but what I can't bend my head around is how I can have any obligation to them after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Crippens1 wrote: »
    Thanks; I wasn't aware of those details. What gets me is that they agree the contract ended but what I can't bend my head around is how I can have any obligation to them after that.

Apple music
    Spotify
    Netflix
    Sky
    UPC

The list goes on. Sign up for a free trial with some of the above and if you don't cancel they continue at full price. Same with sky and upc. Contract is up and you can leave but if you don't tell them it just keeps rolling every 30 days

Standard practice really and will be in the original contract. Sorry to give you the answer you don't want but the bills are valid and would have to be paid

The fact your daughter is in the UK makes no difference

If you read the contract you signed originally it's detailed in that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

But on the other hand customers would be rightly p!ssed off if after 24 months the contract ended and they lost their mobile number.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭jonny_b

It's common sense really... Standard practice. After your electricity suppliers contract ends do you expect them to cut you off? No how bad would that be? Same thing applies here... Don't mean to come across harsh if it sounds that way..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

The company should contact you really and ask if you want to remain on as a customer like your health insurance and car insurance does,or get a letter send out in post just like your tax etc,its another slimy money making scheme from networks who has comreg to back them up on such instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jimmynokia wrote: »
    The company should contact you really and ask if you want to remain on as a customer like your health insurance and car insurance does,or get a letter send out in post just like your tax etc,its another slimy money making scheme from networks who has comreg to back them up on such instances.

Load of horse sh1t.

After the contract ends you drop into a rolling 30 day contract. This allows the customer to remain uninterrupted service, allows them time to consider their options and prevents them rushing to find a replacement. Its the same with everything, unless you tell them you dont want the service they dont turn it off. OP clearly signed a contract with no concept of its stipulations, fool on him.

How is it horse.. If you forget to pay a bill they are quick enough to remind you.. Nothing wrong with a bit of good will and ethicate.

• Advertisement

jimmynokia wrote: »
    How is it horse.. If you forget to pay a bill they are quick enough to remind you.. Nothing wrong with a bit of good will and ethicate.

nothing wrong with reading a contract before you sign it either

And nobody has ever forgot when their driving license or passport has ran out, two year contracts are long, you can forget, and have you ever seen someone read two pages of small print in a shop cause I have never done so...
    All I'm implying is if insurance, health and car tax can do it why not mobile operators??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

And electric, gas, alarm monitors, bin collections and a lot of other services that don't send reminders.

As jimmy says above, of course people forget, especially after two years. Providers should send reminders. But then again the electric and gas providers rely on people "forgetting" for additional revenue.

I wonder if the monthly subscription doubled or tripled would people remember their contracts are finished?

Fyi, I was caught out years ago in a similar situation but learned from my mistake and set reminders on my calendar/email.

Advertisement