Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling - Anyone Else Not Like it?

• 02-06-2015 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

As per the title does anyone else out there not particulary like travelling?

Some people travel to other countries to unwind.... I'm the opposite, I just get stressed. I'd prefer to spend my time off relaxing at home.

I'm relatively young and I've been on a couple of holidays, and a few breaks away, nothing long term although I had the oppurtunity to do the J1 at the end of college I didn't bother.

I'd like to see some countries but personally I don't find it worth the stress as I said I end up not enjoying the time in the other country due to thinking about flying home, what will happen if etc.

The only break I enjoyed was to Manchester but it was a short weekend away to see a concert and a premiership game.

I don't like going on a sun holiday for the sake of it just to get pissed somewhere with a nicer beach, probably costing near €4,000 when all is said and done.

Anyone else feel the same? (I know the majority will probably disagree)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Depends if you are a traveller or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

Try visiting Islamic State. I found it to be a perfect place to relax and unwind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I like seeing new places but I hate travelling too. If I could just teleport wherever I wanted, cut out all the hassle, wouldn't even have to pack.
    Or put up with airport gob****es. Life would be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I really like traveling but it's a leisure pastime. I'm not tortured by the thought of places I haven't seen yet. To be honest, I find the more fervent niche travel types a bit morto: the types that give soulful rhapsodies about escaping from Ireland etc. For some reason, I equate it with being very young. Each to their own, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

chops018 wrote: »
    I don't like going on a sun holiday for the sake of it just to get pissed somewhere with a nicer beach, probably costing near €4,000 when all is said and done.

You're doing it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The only break I enjoyed was to Manchester but it was a short weekend away to see a concert and a premiership game.

Anyone else feel the same? (I know the majority will probably disagree)

Why not just look into places an travel to those you think you'd enjoy? Any amount of time in a place like Magaluf would constitute my idea of hell.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Jaysus!! 4000 euro on a holiday? Monte Carlo, 5 star holiday?!

You could get a nice weekend stay or a 4 day break in a city for under 800 euro, that'd be a decent hotel + flights and spending money. That could be made 300 euro cheaper if you go for hostel options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I haven't been out of this country in (brace yourselves!) 15 years! :eek: :D and then it was for a training course in the UK for a few weeks.

It's not that I don't WANT to travel, I just never seem to have the right combination of time and money when I might want to go somewhere.. and when I do have spare cash there's usually something more tangible that I would rather spend it on.

I'm also the type of person that wouldn't go travelling alone and most of my mates are long since settled down so the idea of a lads holiday never really happened.

Ah well.. maybe someday! :) Besides, at this stage I am probably better staying put anyway.. watching me wandering around Dublin Airport looking lost and confused would probably make me the suspicious type under the post-911 security rules and who needs a full cavity search before you spend a few hours strapped into an airplane! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Emsloe

I used to enjoy it more back in the days when it was a more relaxed affair. Now having to arrive a bajillion hours before the flight and every other misery that goes with that makes me shudder. Nothing enjoyable about it these days until you're in the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

What makes travelling annoying is Other people..

• Advertisement

Emsloe wrote: »
    I used to enjoy it more back in the days when it was a more relaxed affair. Now having to arrive a bajillion hours before the flight and every other misery that goes with that makes me shudder. Nothing enjoyable about it these days until you're in the sky.

Unless you book with Ryanair and have to listen to them try and sell you stuff until you land. Other flights it's like "Would you like something off the trolley?"
    Ryanair "Would you like something off the trolley, maybe some Ryanair lotto tickets, enter the raffle etc. waffle waffle waffle".

Though that was a few years ago, maybe they've gotten better or worse since then.

Unless you book with Ryanair and have to listen to them try and sell you stuff until you land. Other flights it's like "Would you like something off the trolley?"
    Ryanair "Would you like something off the trolley, maybe some Ryanair lotto tickets, enter the raffle etc. waffle waffle waffle".

Though that was a few years ago, maybe they've gotten better or worse since then.

Don't forget it's an unprecedented event a plane landing safely and has to be celebrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

syklops wrote: »
    You're doing it wrong.
    Pyr0 wrote: »
    Jaysus!! 4000 euro on a holiday? Monte Carlo, 5 star holiday?!

You could get a nice weekend stay or a 4 day break in a city for under 800 euro, that'd be a decent hotel + flights and spending money. That could be made 300 euro cheaper if you go for hostel options.

Ok maybe I overestimated a bit.

But still, it's an expensive affair if you're not really into it.

I wouldn't be a huge fan of flying either (not necessarily the flying that bothers me but more so the lack of control in the air and then the build up to the flight), which does play on my mind when I'm away.

The worrying about things like wallet, cards, cash etc.

I'd love if there was a proper bridge connected to Britain and you could just hop in the car and see placed like Paris etc. for a couple of weeks and come and go as you please.

Well that didnt take very long to turn into a ryanair bashing thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Emsloe

Unless you book with Ryanair.....

Haven't flown with them in years since they left me stranded abroad with a cancelled flight and a gaggle of third party ground staff who couldn't help because they weren't actually employed by Ryanair. Or so they said. Best decision I've ever made.

syklops wrote: »
    Well that didnt take very long to turn into a ryanair bashing thread.
    Well it would be weird to bash a company I haven't flown with wouldn't it? :p

Ok maybe I overestimated a bit.

But still, it's an expensive affair if you're not really into it.

I wouldn't be a huge fan of flying either (not necessarily the flying that bothers me but more so the lack of control in the air and then the build up to the flight), which does play on my mind when I'm away.

The worrying about things like wallet, cards, cash etc.

I'd love if there was a proper bridge connected to Britain and you could just hop in the car and see placed like Paris etc. for a couple of weeks and come and go as you please.

Why dont you get the ferry? You can come and go as you please.

Do you not worry about your wallet at home?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Paris is in France...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

irish_goat wrote: »
    Paris is in France...

Britain is connected to France via the channel tunnel.

Any more Geography lessons?

irish_goat wrote: »
    Paris is in France...

Would be in relation to driving the whole way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I only get pissed off with travelling when I try to do it too cheaply.

e.g. thinking .. oh that flights much cheaper ... then I get totally annoyed with myself having to get up at 5 am to go to the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

There's Two seasons of a great Travel Show on Netflix called 'Departures' OP, you'll never have to travel again. Them guys have you covered from the comfort of your own house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Done my share of travelling so I'm couldn't careless if I never did again. Backlogged airport terminals with their ott security checks, only compounds how I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I did a fair bit of travelling in my hair-oil days - some business, some pleasure and some both - but for me the air-travel end of it isn't as much fun as it used to be. Too many smelly, braying proles are at it these days, and these minimum-wage oiks in uniforms who want to take my toothpaste off me and insert it in my bottom are rather tiresome. These days I much prefer the occasional jaunt to the Continong in the car or on a bike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Britain is connected to France via the channel tunnel.

Any more Geography lessons?

If you're driving from Ireland to southern England and then getting a train to France why not just get the ferry from Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

I love seeing new places and I don't mind travelling on trains or planes, it's just the hassle of getting on these modes of transport that do my nut in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

UpCork wrote: »
    I love seeing new places and I don't mind travelling on trains or planes, it's just the hassle of getting on these modes of transport that do my nut in.

You should try hopping on moving freight trains,quite a rush but equally as dangerous,I took an awful face plant one night when I tripped over a railway tie,plus the added buzz of trying not to be seen or caught.

Advertisement