Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

benefits street ajyone watching?

Options
  • 01-06-2015 9:56pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone watching this and finding it very intrusive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

No and no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

It's a programme whose very existence is, I'm convinced, to exploit its subjects and to troll both Daily Express/Mail readers (who'll be enraged at the benefits but not the horrendous squalor) and ultra right-on types.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sure it is just to show all us tax paying idiots where are money goes and how they spend it oh and what they think of us by sh1tting on our doorsteps.

We don't need these shows to know what these places people and are like.

It's a programme whose very existence is, I'm convinced, to exploit its subjects and to troll Daily Express readers (who'll be enraged at the benefits but not the horrendous squalor) and ultra right-on types.
    I have never really felt I could look at the pain of vulnerable people with disdain and as entertainment.

You have to be really really insecure for that.

If right wingers want to waste their time watching this tripe and spend their money on it fine. I have to say I pity them.

It demonizes poor people.

I have never really felt I could look at the pain of vulnerable people with disdain and as entertainment.

You have to be really really insecure for that.

If right wingers want to waste their time watching this tripe and spend their money on it fine. I have to say I pity them.

It demonizes poor people.
    Some of them have a sh-t attitude in fairness (as with any group of people) but I just think that that sh-t attitude is being used to fill the DM/DE readers with rage, and ching-ching for Channel 4. A station that has become very trashy since 2000 (Big Brother started that off IMO).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Last time I watched it I got the feeling it's at best exaggerated (or selectively edited) and at worst, perhaps even staged.

There was a lad openly boasting about dealing and signing on. Would even a thick cnut really do that? Maybe I'm just not used to reality TV.

Some of them have a sh-t attitude in fairness (as with any group of people) but I just think that that sh-t attitude is being used to fill the DM/DE readers with rage, and ching-ching for Channel 4. A station that has become very trashy since 2000 (Big Brother started that off IMO).
    I don't like them showing kids in those situations. It's very stigmatizing. I have only caught ads. Never seen an episode.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I don't like them showing kids in those situations. It's very stigmatizing. I have only caught ads. Never seen an episode.

I was watching it in the background one parent had a severely handicapped child die during it, it was upsetting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

RIP Reagan
    rich or poor the pain never goes

Stheno wrote: »
    I was watching it in the background one parent had a severely handicapped child die during it, it was upsetting
    THAT is pure exploitation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Was watching it. Not sure what to make of it in fairness.
    Rather surprised at the amount the kids got for Christmas.

Probably a lot more going on than we've seen or was revealed.

kneemos wrote: »
    Was watching it. Not sure what to make of it in fairness.
    Rather surprised at the amount the kids got for Christmas.

Probably a lot more going on than we've seen or was revealed.
    I think it's sad to resent what disadvantaged children get at Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Hard to believe people live that that. Very saddening really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It's a programme whose very existence is, I'm convinced, to exploit its subjects and to troll both Daily Express/Mail readers

It succeeds...
    Sure it is just to show all us tax paying idiots where are money goes and how they spend it oh and what they think of us by sh1tting on our doorsteps.

We don't need these shows to know what these places people and are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Anyone watching this and finding it very intrusive?

I've always found it intrusive, exploitation television - people who think they're more clever than the people who are intelligent enough to exploit them for monetary gain.

One is as morally bankrupt as the other really, so it's very difficult to have any sympathy for the people who are being exploited when they have such a cavalier attitude to their own exploitation.

And stigmatizing people tells them they can't get out of there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

THAT is pure exploitation.

What was worse was they seemed to hound the bereaved mother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

To be fair theyre livin in the first world, they could be doing worse.

Old Perry wrote: »
    To be fair theyre livin in the first world, they could be doing better
    Fixed your post.

Old Perry wrote: »
    To be fair theyre livin in the first world, they could be doing worse.
    It's the fact they're living in the first world that makes it so striking IMO; that a place could be so disenfranchised. I know there's personal responsibility too, but they're immersed in a community with virtually no work/opportunities. Better off leaving but a lot want to stay near their families/friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I think it's sad to resent what disadvantaged children get at Christmas.

Only thing he didn't get was a surface to air missile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

It's the fact they're living in the first world that makes it so striking IMO; that a place could be so disenfranchised. I know there's personal responsibility too, but they're immersed in a community with virtually no work/opportunities. Better off leaving but a lot want to stay near their families/friends.

youre dead right. this is what i am thinking. Personal responsibility aside, their situation says a lot about how certain westrrn societies operate and who takes the spotlight or blame when problems arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

There are certain people within decision making positions that should be absolutely ashamed of themselves.

They would want to have a very long and hard think.

Truly felt for that lady, Julie, on the loss of her son. A true credit to what a mother is, a true credit to the strength of the human spirit. I do hope she is ok with how this was played out by Channel 4 because I am aware that if they let it at that, they are at most making a lazy and disingenuous political point, and unfortunately just plain taking advantage.

I hope this engages people, there absolutely needs to be a public debate, and leaders need to emerge. They 1 million percent can do better than this. 1 million percent there can be better outcomes and paths for these people. Some of this stuff is so wrong. I draw comparisons with some corners of the public service on this side of the Irish Sea in saying they've some neck, eating lobsters and smoking cigars, sabre rattling about bonuses and pay increases they never, ever deserved, totally oblivious to the plight & lives of others or funding realities. Sickening. F#cking sickening.

anncoates wrote: »
    Last time I watched it I got the feeling it's at best exaggerated (or selectively edited) and at worst, perhaps even staged.

There was a lad openly boasting about dealing and signing on. Would even a thick cnut really do that? Maybe I'm just not used to reality TV.

Maxwell.

He got a 2 year sentence for stabbing someone while they were making the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

The look of utter devastation and heartbreak on this lady's face in the clip below, it is going to stay with me for a while. Just donated this morning to the charity fundraiser.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/benefits-street-finale-heartbreaking-scenes-5802820

Didn't see last nights episode, knew he passed away alright.

The scenes with him and his mother all along were very moving. She was wonderful with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

What was worse was they seemed to hound the bereaved mother

I disagree. Shots of the funeral seemed to be taken from a distance and any interviews with Julie were done recently (several months after the death) and obviously with her permission. In fact, the episode went from the funeral to recent months. To me, it would appear that the camera people actually left the area in the immediate aftermath of the funeral to give the residents some space and then returned to finish off the series.

Have to say, I watched the whole series and people who feel they can give an opinion on something because they saw an ad or read about it in the paper should really sit down and actually watch it for a while first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Is this not Jeremy kyle's dream area where he goes around with a net ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Maxwell.

He got a 2 year sentence for stabbing someone while they were making the series.

Will they have to train up another circus act now, I wonder.

Maybe they can follow him around prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Caught an episode of this, couldn't stop laughing at the hypocrisy of the "Journalists" asking the tv crew not to film them as they would prefer not to be filmed.

Advertisement