Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA Corruption and FAI Hypocrisy re Denis O' Brien

• 29-05-2015 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭

FAI chief John Delaney has condemned FIFA president Sepp Blatter over corruption allegations involving the use of bribery to win contracts.

Is it then appropriate for the FAI to accept money from Denis O' Brien to pay for the management of the Irish soccer team?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    FAI chief John Delaney has condemned FIFA president Seth Blatter over corruption allegations involving the use of bribery to win contracts.

Is it then appropriate for the FAI to accept money from Denis O' Brien to pay for the management of the Irish soccer team?

No it is not!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Awaits stampede of government apologists and vested interests in to defend fine Gaels Denis o Brien!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well seeing as he moved to Malta to avoid paying tax here, we might as well get something out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

As much as i hate DOB and his disgusting litigation over anyone talking about him i fail to see where the corruption or hypocrisy is here with him donating money to the FAI to get a better manager. Is there evidence DOB got anything out of the deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

The FAI aren't the only ones. DOB had a hand in the deal that is bringing Jonathan Sexton back to Leinster next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

FAI chief John Delaney has condemned FIFA president Sepp Blatter over corruption allegations involving the use of bribery to win contracts.

Yes it's ok. However it wouldn't be ok if in return for these salary contributions the FAI were allowing O'Brien to host lucrative international matches in his village, which is effectively what the FIFA bribes are.

There are allegations against O'Brien. However its not up to the FAI to be the policeman. So they should continue to take the money, as long as its being used for the stated purpose (to pay Trappatoni and now O'Neill, with nothing expected in return) then there nothing corrupt about it.

VinLieger wrote: »
    As . Is there evidence DOB got anything out of the deal?

REALLY?

REALLY?

Well? Did he get anything from the FAI? if you have proof provide it, I have never heard that he got anything from them though.

Understand im not saying hes not a corrupt coniving asshole, he is, but i was not aware he got anything in this specific deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

As much as i hate DOB and his disgusting litigation over anyone talking about him i fail to see where the corruption or hypocrisy is here with him donating money to the FAI to get a better manager. Is there evidence DOB got anything out of the deal?

Is it not hypocritical for the FAI to criticise Blatter for corrupt payments when O'Brien made a $50,000 payment to the minister responsible for awarding a mobile phone contract which he subsequently won.

Is it not hypocritical for the FAI to criticise Blatter for corrupt payments when O'Brien made a $50,000 payment to the minister responsible for awarding a mobile phone contract which he subsequently won.

No its not hypocritical, it would be if they themselves were also involved in such corrupt dealings but they are not as far as I know.

Does the mobile phone deal have anything to do with the FAI? no it doesn't

• Advertisement

Well? Did he get anything from the FAI? if you have proof provide it, I have never heard that he got anything from them though.

al

Just stop, after all that come out you should know how powerful these people are and have a fair idea without need for proof from a forum poster that there are many many ways favours can be paid back to the elite so please open your mind a bit more ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

The fact that he was allowed to retain ownership of most of the radio stations and newspapers in the country, means that they are not going to speak out against him.

Look what happened to Sam Smyth.

Dennis O'Brien is our own very own Robert Maxwell.

No its not hypocritical, it would be if they themselves were also involved in such corrupt dealings but they are not as far as I know.

No corruption in the Fai bahahaha

Murt10 wrote: »
    The fact that he was allowed to retain ownership of most of the radio stations and newspapers in the country, means that they are not going to speak out against him.

Look what happened to Sam Smyth.

Dennis O'Brien is our own very own Robert Maxwell.

He doesn't own community radio stations ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Does the mobile phone deal have anything to do with the FAI? no it doesn't

They were not involved in the corrupt FIFA payments but have no difficulty in criticising those. I think it is extremely hypocritical. Corruption is corruption.

Just stop, after all that come out you should know how powerful these people are and have a fair idea without need for proof from a forum poster that there are many many ways favours can be paid back to the elite so please open your mind a bit more ;)

So you have zero proof then? That means your claims have no basis in fact, hear say and assumptions mean nothing.

Again i think DOB is scum but your being ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Don't need proof to fling around vague accusations though .........

They were not involved in the corrupt FIFA payments but have no difficulty in criticising those. I think it is extremely hypocritical. Corruption is corruption.

What business do the FAI have in criticising DOB? They are a sports governing body and have never taken a political stance on anything and should stay well away from it.

Sports and politics should never mix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

how are they not involved? They are a member of fifa and vote in the corrupted elections.

assuming the fai didn't vote for Qatar or russia then their vote was nullified by other people buying votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

But that's O'Brien and the minister being corrupt no?

I'm not a fan of the FAI, but I don't see a problem with them allowing O'Brien to donate money as long as the FAI isn't rewarding him in any other way.

• Advertisement

No, unless commercial and/or sporting decisions taken by the FAI are being influenced by O'Brien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Christ on a bike, does every 2nd thread in AH have to be about Denis O'Brien?

So you have zero proof then? That means your claims have no basis in fact, hear say and assumptions mean nothing.

Again i think DOB is scum but your being ridiculous

I'm being ridiculous? Do you know how the real world works at all our are you 5?

I'm being ridiculous? Do you know how the real world works at all our are you 5?

Yes I do and in the real world accusations require proof to be taken seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

He doesn't own community radio stations ;)

Correct, but the BAI still regulate them and if they piss DOB off he could haul them in front of a court, which could cost the station there revenue and then the BAI would terminate the license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

He's behind you!

Oh no he isn't!!

Oh yes he is!!

And the pantomime continues. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

To paraphrase a great man....

"There's 3 ways to lose an argument. The right way, the wrong way and the renegademaster way. The renegademaster way is the wrong way but just much more spectacular."

TallGlass wrote: »
    Correct, but the BAI still regulate them and if they piss DOB off he could haul them in front of a court, which could cost the station there revenue and then the BAI would terminate the license.

Well just don't piss dinny off so, the community stations are all trained up on libel and slander

DeanAustin wrote: »
    To paraphrase a great man....

"There's 3 ways to lose an argument. The right way, the wrong way and the renegademaster way. The renegademaster way is the wrong way but just much more spectacular."

You lot are gullible, while his legal teams make sure he "breaks no laws" and leaves little evidence everybody is wanting full disclosure before they get upset

• Advertisement

To be clear, I'm not completely comfortable with the (indirect) arrangements DOB has with the FAI and the IRFU. However both these organisations are not owned by the State so it is up to them (and the funded individuals) how they conduct their business. It is the members of these organisations that ultimately need to decide whether these arrangements are above board.

You lot are gullible, while his legal teams make sure he "breaks no laws" and leaves little evidence everybody is wanting full disclosure before they get upset

Ok, even without proof...in your opinion how is DOB benefiting from the arrangement with the FAI?

To say "he must be" isn't enough, you haven't even suggested a hint at any wrongdoing that would indicate any kind of corruption on the side of the FAI.

BizzyC wrote: »
    Ok, even without proof...in your opinion how is DOB benefiting from the arrangement with the FAI?

To say "he must be" isn't enough, you haven't even suggested a hint at any wrongdoing that would indicate any kind of corruption on the side of the FAI.

Christ almighty will to look at how big business works, then throw a football association with links to an internationally corrupt organisation and a known tax exile/briber into the mix and you think there a chance there's nothing to see here?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I'm not as wealthy as Denis O Brien, But if i was financially in a position to help my National football club to get a great manager or to get a new player or build a new stadium

Christ almighty will to look at how big business works, then throw a football association with links to an internationally corrupt organisation and a known tax exile/briber into the mix and you think there a chance there's nothing to see here?

You still are not providing any specifics just gross generalisations with zero basis in fact that are founded on a hell of a lot of assumptions and then asking us to do your work for you.

Again in your opinion how did DOB benefit from the FAI deal and in what way is corruption involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Good God. O'Brien's subsidising of Trap's wages is a completely separate issue from what's going on re IBRC and Anglo. I'm no fan of DOB because of the revelations in the Moriarty Tribunal, but if he wants to give the FAI a leg up what's the worst that can come out of it - a bit of good publicity and a few free tickets for him and Seanie Fitz to go to Poland on?

Personally I think people should be more interested in the reputed €5m payment the FAI trousered from FIFA and Sepp Blatter over the Henry handball incident, and why it was hushed up at the time.

• Advertisement

You still are not providing any specifics just gross generalisations with zero basis in fact that are founded on a hell of a lot of assumptions and then asking us to do your work for you.

Again in your opinion how did DOB benefit from the FAI deal and in what way is corruption involved?

Generalisations? Are you for ducking real? You are impossible. Take off your rose tinted glasses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

fullstop wrote: »
    Christ on a bike, does every 2nd thread in AH have to be about Denis O'Brien?

You sound exasperated. Are you one of his lawyers?:D

Generalisations? Are you for ducking real? You are impossible. Take off your rose tinted glasses

Only if you take of your tinfoil hat

Seriously though you are useing a huge generalisation by assuming all big business behave the same

So far you have provided zero specifics when asked for proof and don't seem capable of even providing an opinion on what you think he has gained from this deal or how it was corrupt.

Nobody is disagreeing with you that he is corrupt but you have to meet us halfway here and give some examples otherwise your just nonsensically ranting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Renegademaster has Boards in his pocket.

He's been banned several times, but always gets his bans lifted- not sure exactly how, but the dogs in the street know it goes on.

He's also given carte blanche to start multiple threads on the same subject, without any sanctions. Again, I've no actual proof, but any gobsh*te can see it goes on.

See how this works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

topper75 wrote: »
    You sound exasperated. Are you one of his lawyers?:D

Ah sure I'm probably a blue shirt apologist or whatever the muppets on a crusade against the establishment are calling it this month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

WealthyB wrote: »
    Good God. O'Brien's subsidising of Trap's wages is a completely separate issue from what's going on re IBRC and Anglo. I'm no fan of DOB because of the revelations in the Moriarty Tribunal, but if he wants to give the FAI a leg up what's the worst that can come out of it - a bit of good publicity and a few free tickets for him and Seanie Fitz to go to Poland on?

Personally I think people should be more interested in the reputed €5m payment the FAI trousered from FIFA and Sepp Blatter over the Henry handball incident, and why it was hushed up at the time.

That's the sound of the nail being hit firmly on the head.

With regard to football the only thing DoB has to answer for is that his cash kept Trap in charge of Ireland longer that he should have been.

People say there's no smoke without fire, but right now your saying he's provided firewood so there must be a fire despite there being no smoke.

So far you haven't stated anything but your distrust of DOB, which I'm not saying is wrong, and are making the FAI & IRFU guilty by association only.

Either it's free money from a wealthy fan of Irish sport, which is how the FAI and IRFU potray it, or he's benefiting in some way in the background.
    If you're not even capable of speculating as to how he might be benefiting, then how can you expect anyone else to take you seriously.

People say there's no smoke without fire, but right now your saying he's provided firewood so there must be a fire despite there being no smoke.

So far you haven't stated anything but your distrust of DOB, which I'm not saying is wrong, and are making the FAI & IRFU guilty by association only.

Either it's free money from a wealthy fan of Irish sport, which is how the FAI and IRFU potray it, or he's benefiting in some way in the background.
    If you're not even capable of speculating as to how he might be benefiting, then how can you expect anyone else to take you seriously.

Nothing to see here folks, dinny is only corrupt in certain instances and a modern day saint/good Samaritan the rest of the time, ask the Clintons, they'll tell ya all about his philanthropy;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Nothing to see here folks, dinny is only in certain instances and a modern day saint/good Samaritan the rest of the time, ask the Clintons, they'll tell ya all about his philanthropy;)

No one is saying that though. Except you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Jimoslimos wrote:
    The FAI aren't the only ones. DOB had a hand in the deal that is bringing Jonathan Sexton back to Leinster next season.

He's got my vote so!

Nothing to see here folks, dinny is only corrupt in certain instances and a modern day saint/good Samaritan the rest of the time, ask the Clintons, they'll tell ya all about his philanthropy;)

TBH you're just coming across like a conspiracy loon now, I'd have a more interesting discussion with a wet sponge.

If you can't even pull out a hypothetical benefit then you're just blowing air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Jimoslimos wrote: »

goodness, are there any pies he doesn't have his fingers in ??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I find it funny when John Delaney talks about mafia and corruption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I read yesterday that the FAI got a 5 mill loan converted to a grant in order to wind their neck in over the Henry Handball and Blatter sniggering episode. Hypocricy indeed.

The thing is though I did always see it as philanthropy for the sake of our sports, (possibly stupidly) because I could never see a direct relationship how he could benifit financially. But the Irish Water thing has thought me you might not always see how he benifits but he is there pulling a lot of strings.

One potential way in which DOB could benefit would be through preferential and/or exclusive media rights to the individuals involved, but that's not too dissimilar to numerous off-field sponsorships and earnings that supplement the incomes of most high-profile sportspersons (Ronaldo with Nike, Messi and Adidas, etc)

• Advertisement
Advertisement