Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody know of any good rat exterminators in Clare? Rats in attic-ahhhh!!

Options
  • 13-02-2015 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all. Unfortunately for me, I've rats in my attic and haven't been able to get rid of them myself with traps- it's really doing my head in Does anybody know of any effective, decent rat exterminators in the Ennis area? I've heard that some pest control people just lay out bait and don't fix the problem permanently. I need somebody who will find and block off the rat entry points and then trap and kill the rats- sort them out good and proper for good!

Anybody who has hired pest control people out there, how much does this usually cost? I can bet this doesn't come cheap and I don't have heaps of cash to spend on this. I must get a cat as well in the hopes of controlling the problem a bit.

I'd really appreciate any information and tips on how to get rid of these rats in the attic from fellow sufferers.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ClareGal2015

Has anybody hired Pest.ie, Pest Patrol, Pest-A-Tac or Zero Pest Control?

Really hoping somebody has had experience with a pest control company and can recommend one. Any info would be greatly appreciated- a.s.a.p. please.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

I had a similar problem a few months ago and priced Rentokil, was very very expensive! Ended up buying poison and traps myself and setting them, thankfully have been rat free for 6 weeks or so!!

I used http://www.verminstop.ie/ worked out way cheaper than Rentokil and I have traps, bait boxes and tons of poison left for any future 'visitors'. Also I called the owner of the website (in Limerick if that helps), he gave me some advise about amount of poison to use, etc.

Good luck, don't mind the mice but rats are a different story....

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ceo

I've also had the problem in the past. I bought the blue block type poison (it comes in a white bucket). What I did though was, while wearing gloves, I broke into smaller pieces and put them on an upside down lid of a biscuit tin.
    It say you should provide water as by drinking water after taking the poison it will kill them. I didn't do this as I didn't want them dying in the attic. They had to make there way out to find water. Thankfully never returning!!
    I used only a handful of blocks to do this. They returned a few months after and I did the same again. Now I just leave some on the lid just in case they return. Horrible things to be listening to as they move around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

Might only be mice op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

glue traps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gallee

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    glue traps

Effective but illegal (Section 34 (6) of the Wildlife Act 1976 and Section 42(F) of the Wildlife Amendment Act 2000) so you cant buy them anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Another win for the "catch-the-darlings-and- set-them-free brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

Snakes eat rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭malinheader

OP Friend of mine was saying years ago when he was a child a neighbour of theres had the same problem in the roof space. At the time the neighbour got a friend of theres who kept ferrets and weasels to leave them in his roof space for a couple of days. apparantly once the rat picks up there scent there history and will leave. Might be worth checking this out. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭bigtomm

stay away from rentokil....poor service i thought for a friend of mine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Poison is great for getting rid of them, but God help you if they curl up in a place you can't get to and the smell can be unreal and last for an age. Plus you will then get the blue bottles when it starts to decay.

If you do use poison try and see where they are getting in and block any future access. But always try traps, use melted chocolate on the trigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭bigtomm

mad m wrote: »
    God help you if they curl up in a place you can't get to and the smell can be unreal and last for an age. Plus you will then get the blue bottles when it starts to decay.

you have a career in writing horror my friend! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Get a cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭daveob007

poison in the attic is a bad idea alright as said by previous poster,,the ferret idea is the best get someone who keeps them to give you the old bedding from the cages and place it in the attic every few weeks,rats wont be long getting out of there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

CptSternn wrote: »
    Get a cat!

Few cats will willing go after a rat. Mice yes but a rat can be quite a risk for most cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 car0line

Hi ClarGal2015, you posted your message in February 2015, re rats in the attic, its now October 2015, did you get it sorted out, if you did how did you do it? I have a similar problem, i don,t know anyone that could give me a loan of a ferret, am wondering is it worth paying rentokil to do a proper job, any advice would be appreciate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

Don't bother with Rentokill, paid a fortune for them to come 3 times and they only came twice. I rang them to complain, said they'd schedule a 3rd visit but heard nothing. Wouldn't go near them again.

thanks very much for that info, i actually cancelled a visit from them a few days ago after i read some of the reviews on them. I put down a bit pot of the storm pellets in the attic, the pellets disappeared, all of them overnight, scary, but there has'nt been a word since, here's hoping..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

The poison is supposed to make the rat / mouse thirsty and they head outside to find water.

Theoretically they shouldn't die in your attic etc, but it's not unheard of :(

One thing you do need to do is to find how they are getting in. In my case I discovered the extension foundation to our kitchen that abuts our neighbours property was not back filled so the mice / rats where getting in through the cavity, then climbing upwards until they reached the attic.

Go around the entire outside of the house and look for any small holes. Mice can get in where a pencil will fit. Rats will get where you can fit your thumb.

Put more pellets down too. Keep putting them down until no more disappear!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

We have placed poison in old jamjars, lying on their side, outside where we think they would more likely run.
    We haven't had any in for the past few years.

The size of the jars prevent pets from accessing the poison while keeping it dry.

• Advertisement

thanks for all that info., appreciate it, think we have got rid of the blighters now, 2nd lot of storm pellets were not touched, found a hole near the pipes on the ground where mice/rats had been getting in, so hopefully since that has been cemented in, the furry creatures will stay away, all quiet now so hopefully it will stay that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Sir montygom

this what i use ......no mess no blood and guts and no smell....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEAMT7eU35k

Advertisement