Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas Cards

• 24-12-2010 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

Pighead and his lady have received about 27 Christmas Cards this week. Have just gone through them and 23 of them are written thusly:
    "Dear Miss Piggy and Pighead........"
    Only four of the cards are written properly with Pighead's name first.

Thought it was something of an unwritten rule that the stronger, dominant, masculine, half of the relationship got to have their name first in all written correspondence. How do you address couples when speaking about or writing to them? Like, if you knew a Colm and Cindy would you say "We're going to Colm and Cindy's tonight or "We're going to Cindy and Colm's" Do you have a set rule or is it just whichever combination rolls off the tongue better?

To be honest Pighead's a bit miffed at this whole Christmas Card fiasco lark but would like hear if he's being unreasonable to expect top billing before he totally loses the plot and burns the cards in a fit of rage.

I address couples as 12 votes

Dear Male and Female.
    0%
    Dear Female and Male.
    41%
    Pigheadi_love_toastQuazzieWolfe ToneAnneElizabeth 5 votes
    Depends on the rhythm of the sentence.
    8%
    Noreen1 1 vote
    Don't bother with Christmas cards or couples.
    50%
    stovelidScrambled eggMcGarnagle92Cook my sockcocoshovelNadser 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

This means Mrs Piggy has 23 friends and Pighead has 2, not including the credit union and the local knocking shop.

Happy Christmas Mrs Pigheads husband. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

tell the lazy fcukers to send one each to mr and mrs pighead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Depends on the rhythm of the sentence.
    For Christmas cards, I apply a "ladies first" criteria. Anything else, and there's no set rule.:D

Noreen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Depends who I knew first or am closer too basically. If they're related it'd be the blood relative first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Dear Female and Male.
    This means Mrs Piggy has 23 friends and Pighead has 2, not including the credit union and the local knocking shop.

Happy Christmas Mrs Pigheads husband. :P
    Your wrong Cheap Thrills. Pighead has planty of friends. Think of all the snow that has fallen this week. Imagine counting every single snowflake that has fallen across the country since last Monday. Count them all up and you have a rough estimate of Pigheads friend quota. No, it's definitely not a friend issue. Maybe a respect issue or a vendetta issue but definitely not a friend issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

It depends on which one i know better/knew first. So yeh, im agreeing with Cheap Thrills....you've no mates Pighead. Awww...Happy christmas though.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

miss piggy is obviously the stronger and more dominant person and you pighead are not as masculine as you thought.

not forgetting Ladies first :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Dear Female and Male.
    anniehoo wrote: »
    It depends on which one i know better/knew first. So yeh, im agreeing with Cheap Thrills....you've no mates Pighead. Awww...Happy christmas though.:D
    A bit of a double edged Christmas message there anniehoo. On the one hand you wish me a Happy Christmas whilst on the other you do your very best to ensure Pighead doesn't have a Happy Christmas by implying he doesn't have any pals. That's a bit like bringing food to a hungry housebound elderly persons house and eating it all in front of them giving them none of it.

Anniehoo, happy Christmas to you too. Hope you have a great day and slip on the ice and hurt your knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

some of the cards that came to our house were addressed to "irishbird and Des", some were addressed to "Des and irishbird".

My friends say "Des and irishbird", irishbird's friends call us "irishbird and Des".

It kind of depends on who you know more. I'd say "Pighead and Miss Piggy" because if I was sending a card to The Pigsty, Dundalk, Co Louth I'd address it to Pighead because I "know" you, but not Miss Piggy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Pighead wrote: »

Anniehoo, happy Christmas to you too. Hope you have a great day and slip on the ice and hurt your knees.
    Aw i was bein sarcastic...thats...just...downright mean sob :(

Now i know why you've no friends :p

/takes christmas wishes back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Which ever I know better or which half I'm related to. Envelope I put as Mr and Mrs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Don't bother with Christmas cards or couples.
    If the couple are living together, whoever was my primary friend (as who I knew first) goes first I think.

Usually just address it to them by their first name, never Mr and Mrs/Ms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Dear Female and Male.
    It should be addressed to Mr and Mrs (Blokes full name)

Advertisement