Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finglas men KIA in WW1

Options
  • 19-08-2009 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

being from Finglas i was interested to find that 22 men born in the area died in the Great War. and from what i have found out 2 of them are brothers . 1 died on the 1st day of the battle of the Somme and his brother was killed 4 days later both landed in France on 5/10/15 and both served in the Inniskilling Fusiliers.

i am doing some research on the above and would be greatful with any help from other posters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hello R.Dub.Fusilier,thanks for posting,have you checked your local newspapers that were in print during the war local to Finglas,if you haven't you'll most likely find more info regarding local lads who were mentioned there,you could also trawl through the casaulty list for Dublin(available on the links thread)and find more along the way.Getting info on any of the soldiers will be a matter of researching each one unless family members if known have anything in the lines of medals ,photo's or letters.You could also put an advert in the paper for anyone related to these soldiers to contact you to see if they have anything to add,a bit hit and miss but might be worth a try.What kind of details to you have already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

i've got a little bit of info on the 22 KIAs.i've used 'Irelands Memorial Records' Ancestry.UK from which i got medal index cards for all , the 1911 census and got some info from both of Patrick Hogartys books about the Dublin Fusiliers and the CWGW website. i'll keep on trying . two of the KIAs were Military Medal winners John Fields of the RFA and George Harborne of the 9th Inniskilling Fusiliers both killed on the same day 29/3/1918.

One would be amazed at how many local lads died to ones area,I've also been tracking down local casaulties for here in town and it currently stands between forty and fifty,I've gone out to the local graveyards and photoed any military graves related to the conflict and have come across a friend of my fathers who had two great grand uncle's and great grandfather in the war which survived,two of these got the Military Cross and one a Bravery medal so its been interesting and rewarding at the same tme looking into it,cross referencing shows details for some that they may of been from somewhere else and not the town or city there listed as been from,small things like they've married a local girl and so on.Its nice that you've been able to get the details for each one,the Military Medals those lads got will be in the London Gazette,have you found those mentions?,it may take a while but they should be in there.I have one Military Medal to a Dublin man and I'd love to know what he done to get this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In case you don't have him, this guy's grave is in Mount Jerome:

ROE
    Aircraftman 2nd Class
    DERMOT WILLIAM
    Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.
    5th March 1944.
    Age 42. Son of Henry William and Elizabeth Roe of Dublin; husband of Marcella E. Roe of Finglas.
    Grave A.C.57597/98.

The War Graves Photographic Project have a photo available.

edit***Oh I beg your pardon, he's from the Second War.
    If you want any help with photos of the guys from WWI, please get in touch.

edit***Oh I beg your pardon, he's from the Second War.
    If you want any help with photos of the guys from WWI, please get in touch.

no bother thanks for the info. i'm always intrested in history of my home town , city and country . i've sent an email to a site , the name of which i cant rember at the moment , to see if they can help me with photos . are you involved in that sort of thing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm one of the Irish volunteers with the War Graves Photographic Project.
    http://www.twgpp.org

When I get a chance I take photos of graves in various locations in Ireland. I have a spreadsheet of the graves for the Republic if I can look up anything for you.

some info an the lads from finglas KIA in WW1

Thomas Brien 9310 1st Batt Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Landed in Gallipoli 25/4/1915 ‘V beach’ . One of the ‘Dubsters’ Killed In Action 15/6/1915.

Bernard Connor 3129 Leinster Regiment. Landed in Gallipoli 5/8/1915. Died of wounds 20/9/1915. Son of Michael and Bridget of Convent View Finglas.

Francis Connell !8062 1st Batt Royal Munster Fusiliers. Landed in France 18/12/1915. Died of wounds 12/9/1918.

Charles Connell 9554 1st Batt Connaught Rangers. Landed in France . Killed in action 2/11/1914. Son of John and Kathleen.

Edward Costello 23610 13th Batt Essex Regiment . Landed in france 1916. Killed in action 12/10/1917.

Patrick Emmett 15058 7th Batt Royal Dublin Fusiliers .Landed in France 20/12/1915 age 30 . Killed in action Egypt 8/11/1917. Father Patrick of Main Street Finglas.

Patrick Emmett 8216 2nd Batt Royal Dublin Fusiliers . Landed in France 9/10/1914 . Killed in action Maine 7/12/1914 . Husband of Jane of Main Street Finglas.

James Field MM Sergent 772935 Royal Field Artillery . Landed in France 11/1/1914 Killed in action 29/3/1918 age 26 . Son of Simon and Jane .

James Finnegan 12535 9th Batt Royal Dublin Fusiliers . Landed in France 20/12/1915 . Died of wounds 2/8/1916.

George Griffith 4457 1st Batt Irish Guards. Landed in France 13/8/1914. Killed in action 1/11/1914 . Son of James and Anne

George Harbourne 13523 9th Inniskilling Fusiliers . Landed in France 5/10/1915 . Killed in action 29/3/1918 . Military Medal with bar.

James Maher 2637 2nd Batt Royal Irish Fusiliers . Landed in France 16/2/1915 . Killed in action Egypt 7/11/1917.

John Markey 21373 8th Batt Royal Dublin Fusiliers . Landed in France 20/12/1915 . Killed in action 9/91916.

George McDonagh 20811 Inniskilling Fusiliers . Landed in France 5/10/1915 . Died of wounds 5/7/1916 age 19 . Son of Alexander and Julia .

John McDonagh 13543 Inniskilling Fusiliers Landed in France 5/10/1915 . Killed in action 1/7/1916 (first day of the Somme) . Son of Alexander and Julia . Brother of George McDonagh 20811 Inniskilling Fusiliers .

Patrick McEvoy 6317 6th Batt Connaught Rangers Landed in France 1916 . Killed in action 7/6/1917.

James McKenna 61382 Royal Field Artillery . Landed in France 16/8/1914 . Killed in action 4/11/1918.

Patrick Moran 21814 8th Batt Royal Dublin Fusiliers . Landed in France 1916 . Killed in action 12/8/1917 age 23 . Son of Michael and Mary .

Patrick Mulvany 12616 landed in France 20/20/1915 . Killed in action 7/9/1916.

Patrick O’Dowd 8791 9th Batt Royal Dublin Fusiliers . Landed in France 1916 . Killed in action 29/4/1916 . Son of John and Hannah and husband of Kathleen .

John Sloane 11547 2nd Royal Dublin Fusiliers . Landed in France 23/8/1914. Killed in action St Julien 25/4/1915.

Patrick Tallon 30046 1st Batt Royal Dublin Fusiliers . Landed in France 1916 . Killed in action Kaiser’s Battle 21/3/1918.

Its sad looking at a list like that,James Mckenna there for example having survived for four years then been killed only a few days before the armistice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

What's the "Died of wounds" stand for ? I've seen it on headstones where it was a euphemism for something else.

What's the "Died of wounds" stand for ? I've seen it on headstones where it was a euphemism for something else.

as far as i am aware it's exactly what it says on the tin .

• Advertisement

Died of wounds simply means that the soldier in question died from his wounds maybe say in a field hospital or even at home for example and not killed on the battlefield.I think its a term used to differentiate the two KIA, DOW,sometimes soldiers lasted not even a day and others years before they sucummed to there injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Connell research

I have been doing a fair bit of research on my grandfather from Finglas, James Connell. He was in the Royal Munster Fusiliers and survived the 1st World War, he went missing at Gallipoli in August 1915, but later turned up. He joined the Free State Air Corps in 1923, but sadly died of TB in the May of that year. His brother Simon, joined the British Army in his brother James' name, as his mother had got him out with being too young previously. Simon joined the Connaught Rangers and was involved in the Indian Mutiny in 1920, he was convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment commuted to 10 years, he was released in 1923 after independence and joined the Free State Army for several years. Simon is listed as James Connell on the Glasnevin memorial. However Simon seems to have disappeared after about 1937, he didn't die prior to 1958 but no one knows where he ended up.
    Paul.

Advertisement