Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If people were honest we wouldn't need hotel room closed loop hangers

• 23-05-2015 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

As I sat in my hotel room the other day my little daughter asked me why we couldn't take the hangers out of the wardrobe. You all know the type, I understand they are called closed loop hangers designed to stop people stealing them.

This got me thinking and you know if people were honest there would be no need for their existence. But then taking this a step further what about the people who made those hangers it would put them out of work and have an impact on the economy.

The implications are far reaching if people were honest there would be a raft of things we wouldn't need, locks on doors, gardai, judiciary. Etc and therefore more people on social welfare. I'm sure there are many other things that would be affected which I haven't thought about if you also want to give examples.

My heart says there shouldn't be a need for those closed loop hangers but my head says maybe there is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Cash in transit vans or security anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Whenever I book into a hotel,I make sure to have my trusty Angle Grinder.

No closed loop hanger is safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Them hangars come off easy, you're either the world's worst thief or the world's laziest handyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Them hangars come off easy, you're either the world's worst thief or the world's laziest handyman.
    Of course he could own a closed loop hanger factory or is simply trying to keep the closed loop hanger workers in a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I don't consider taking anything from a hotel room 'stealing'. In fact, that's why you don't pre-pay for hotels, because they don't know how much to charge you. If you take something from the room, they'll charge you for it.

A lot of hotels even have giftshops now where you can purchase a lot of the same items found in your room. Other hotels have a price-list for items in your room available too. Fancy hotel on your honeymoon with nice slippers and robe - makes a nice keepsake, call the front desk and they'll tell you the price.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't need traffic wardens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

What?

Wouldn't need traffic wardens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wouldn't need a key or lock for anything. No car keys or door keys.

catallus wrote: »
    Wouldn't need traffic wardens.
    Thank you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

If my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle

UCDVet wrote: »
    I don't consider taking anything from a hotel room 'stealing'. In fact, that's why you don't pre-pay for hotels, because they don't know how much to charge you. If you take something from the room, they'll charge you for it.

A lot of hotels even have giftshops now where you can purchase a lot of the same items found in your room. Other hotels have a price-list for items in your room available too. Fancy hotel on your honeymoon with nice slippers and robe - makes a nice keepsake, call the front desk and they'll tell you the price.
    I take ALL the toiletries and any edibles. That's all. :) I don't take slippers or anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

If my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle

A snip, a snip there, Bob's your uncle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

pavb2 wrote: »
    As I sat in my hotel room the other day my little daughter asked me why we couldn't take the hangers out of the wardrobe. You all know the type, I understand they are called closed loop hangers designed to stop people stealing them.

This got me thinking and you know if people were honest there would be no need for their existence. But then taking this a step further what about the people who made those hangers it would put them out of work and have an impact on the economy.

The implications are far reaching if people were honest there would be a raft of things we wouldn't need, locks on doors, gardai, judiciary. Etc and therefore more people on social welfare. I'm sure there are many other things that would be affected which I haven't thought about if you also want to give examples.

My heart says there shouldn't be a need for those closed loop hangers but my head says maybe there is.

The theft of clothes hangers is one of the great challenges facing mankind

Cienciano wrote: »
    Wouldn't need a key or lock for anything. No car keys or door keys.
    That's my point locks are everywhere in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Does anyone living in a town or city go a whole day without coming across a lock.

So if people were honest how many people would be out of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

In the event the world suddenly becomes more "honest"... hangers in a closet might be the least of our concerns!

It's all the skeletons in there next to the hangers that start coming out we'll need to worry about! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭The Masculinist

Prostitution would probably be legal/less frowned upon as no women would be trafficked and women in the business would be doing it out of their free will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

The euro for the trolley thingy in the supermarket. The man who invented it deserves a Nobel prize

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

The euro for the trolley thingy in the supermarket. The man who invented it deserves a Nobel prize

yes, but a special edition one, that was chained and he had to put a euro into to collect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

If people were honest...

Fúck that, I'd be unemployed & I'm too old to retrain at this stage of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

It's all tragic, absolutely tragic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i worked in a hotel in my younger years, the things people would steal were incredable,

we were prepared for stolen towels/bedclothes/soaps/tea/coffee/tea-spoons...etc

once somebody stole the iron, literally cut the wire connecting it to the wall now you might think they will add a plug to said wire at home but they cut it closest to the iron so there would have been no cable left :confused:

another time i was in reception late at night when this guy was checking out with a large box shape in his bag, after the receptionist called security to search the bag it turned out he had tried to take one of the old crt portable tv's from one of the rooms yet to have the tv upgraded, this thing was tiny even at the time it was a rubbish tv so why he wanted it we could never figure it out! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭The Masculinist

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i worked in a hotel in my younger years, the things people would steal were incredable,

we were prepared for stolen towels/bedclothes/soaps/tea/coffee/tea-spoons...etc

once somebody stole the iron, literally cut the wire connecting it to the wall now you might think they will add a plug to said wire at home but they cut it closest to the iron so there would have been no cable left :confused:

another time i was in reception late at night when this guy was checking out with a large box shape in his bag, after the receptionist called security to search the bag it turned out he had tried to take one of the old crt portable tv's from one of the rooms yet to have the tv upgraded, this thing was tiny even at the time it was a rubbish tv so why he wanted it we could never figure it out! :D

Were there a lot of prostitutes using the hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

Its all about how much people think they can get away with.
    You've reminded me about a guy I recently read about in the local newspaper- Google "Donegal Walter Mitty" and you'll find it.

Got me to wondering just how often people go out without paying/ take something extra because they think they can justify it by saying: "sure its a busy hotel/ shop etc, they make loads of money and this entitles me to just take stuff" /rant over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I take ALL the toiletries and any edibles. That's all. :) I don't take slippers or anything like that.

I don't go to nice hotels very often - but a few months back I went to a hotel that had like a whole plate of really fancy looking cakes/sweets. They also had a mini-fridge with drinks and snacks.

I've always heard everything in the mini-fridge is really expensive - so I assumed they'd charge me if I ate the cakes/sweets too? I should have just asked, but I didn't want to sound as cheap and ignorant as I am :)

Does that mean I passed on those edibles for nothing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Whoa , just hold on a minute ... who on earth hangs up clothes in a hotel ?

Last time I stayed in a hotel overnight , I don't even remember taking my shoes off , let alone hang up clothes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Those hangers are a bitch when you're drunk.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    The theft of clothes hangers is one of the great challenges facing mankind
    I know think we need a referendum on their very existence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

redbel05 wrote: »
    Its all about how much people think they can get away with.

Got me to wondering just how often people go out without paying/ take something extra because they think they can justify it by saying: "sure its a busy hotel/ shop etc, they make loads of money and this entitles me to just take stuff" /rant over :)

I work in Dublin airport and caught a fella with 2 life jackets in his bag, ya know the ones were all told are under the seats in case of emergency landing on water? Well when we questioned him about why he had taken them he simply said "I paid for the seat so thought I was entitled to take them" Some people eh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

galljga1 wrote: »
    A snip, a snip there, Bob's your uncle.
    Ah, Dessie Curley...is it yourself?

Worked in a place where the security guard got sacked for stealing tea bags out of the office canteen.

Gamekeeper turned poacher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Hangers are crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Steve_Carella

Yep, it's Saturday again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hate them hangers.
    You bring your hanger to your article of clothing, you don't bring the article of clothing to the hanger ffs.
    I don't use them in protest.

Went to America 2 years ago with Mr M, it was a special treat for my 40th, but not really near the date. We toured around, he's well used to that (musician), so he had told all the hotels it was my birthday the night we were staying, so we got Strawberries dipped in chocolate and Champaign, various treats, upgrades to rooms with jaccuzzis etc... that was so great.

I never steal from hotels, but I do take all the toiletries.
    Himself always leaves change on the table for the maids, in every well kept hotel, so I do it too now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

I never steal from hotels, but I do take all the toiletries.

Still stealing and some hotels charge for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Cool, I'm a thief :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Myself and herself were in The Dawson last year - lovely hotel but bloody noisy thanks to the nite club below our window. Anyway, on the second day, the maids came to service the room eventually (7PM). Herself didn't want them to come in so I made the excuses at the door. All we needed was more coffee but the maid gave me a big handful of toiletries saying "Madam will like...take, take". Was never so happy to leave a tip in a hotel room :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

What's even better is when you come across the cleaning trolley in the hallway and you can stock up on your favourites :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Unfortunately some people tell themselves they have a right to things.
    "I paid dearly for this hotel room, of course I can take some things with me"

It is petty theft, and as can seen above opportunity makes the thief.
    I do it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,525 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Don't know why anyone would want to steal hangers, you can get them free and anyway...I store my clothes on the floor.

• Advertisement

I would't stay in ones that do. :rolleyes:

I would take stuff you are allowed use free like shower caps and shampoos and stuff. I also use the heck out of the bath. I would never take a face cloth or anything. I would take the free stuff but I wouldn't abuse it i am not going to take the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I take everything that will fit in my bag. Tried robbing the duvet in one of the fancy hotels I stayed in. It didn't work out. :(

Next time I'll be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Shur its not stealing if you leave a ****e in the cistern. You bartered for those good with that ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

pavb2 wrote: »
    Of course he could own a closed loop hanger factory or is simply trying to keep the closed loop hanger workers in a job

In which case would he not be better off stealing them to encourage the production of more closed loop hangers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

cbyrd wrote: »
    What's even better is when you come across the cleaning trolley in the hallway and you can stock up on your favourites :D

I love when this happens. Stayed in a hotel a few years ago for a few nights. After the first night while they were cleaning the rooms and putting tea milk sugar etc back into the rooms I came across this trolley. Asked the nice man pushing it could I have an extra towel, milk and tea bags. He came to my room about 20 mins later with the stuff I had asked for. (my room had already been cleaned). Gave him a tip for his assistance. Also left a note for him at reception when I was checking out to thank him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

go to penneys or whatever similar store if you need hangers they gonna throw them at you,now back to the topic-always pack some extra towels and what not after staying in 5* hotel before leaving :D

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

I once spent five nights a week for six months in Glasgow whilst on a course.

One of the people studying with me was your typical chancer, always trying to wrangle a better deal and who had no shame about being cheap.

Every day he would ask the hotel reception staff for new toiletries and tea/coffee/buscuits for his room. Some days he'd ask more than once and if he seen the cleaning trolley unattended he'd grab as many bottles and sachets as he could.

At the end of every week he would have a sports holdall filled with with little bottles of shampoo, biscuits and Nescafe sachets.

He bagged them up and sold them on Ebay and somewhat surprisingly people actually bought them.

Advertisement