Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"God is always faithful to his promises, but he often surprises us "

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

dcmraad wrote: »
    Which branch of the 35,000 different sects of christianity do you support.

I'm Reformed for the most part. I support Jesus, and His word. I think Christmas is important because of Him, and I share that with the Pope even if I disagree with him on many other things.
    My problem is the quote

Jesus is Lord. He was a real person we have an abundance of evidence for this.
    This is pure BS, what does it mean. I do not mean to be offensive to people, but how can someone who exists only in the minds of those who believe they exist, (without proof=faith) rationally understand this.

Jesus did surprise many of the people of His age. Jesus was the Messiah and fit all the Messianic categories, except many of the Jews expected Him to be a warrior who would overthrow the Romans. Jesus was a different type of Saviour. A Saviour who would save mankind from the blight of sin.

I'm not surprised that many think the Gospel is BS though. Christians aren't always the best representatives.

If you're going to criticise the Pope, criticise the Pope. If you're going to criticise Jesus, do that too. Criticising Jesus != Criticising the Pope.
    Jackass maybe you can explain this quote please, you seem to have an excellent knowledge, (are you a phil student perhaps?)

I do study Philosophy, but I'm a Christian and I really believe in Jesus and all that took place in Bethlehem at that time.
    Read the very last quote again.

I'm not surprised that Terry Anderson from the National Secular Society is ticked off with the Pope.
    Why isn't the pope getting hauled before the international media the way wiki leaks is.

I'm not defending the Pope on this. I'm criticising the way you've dealt with what is normal Christian belief. The Pope and I share a lot of disagreements, I've expressed my own annoyance at the child abuse scandals.
    Mr Assange has the world after him after 2 possible sex cases, whats the popes current tally.

Again, I'm not on this thread to defend the Pope on child abuse.
    Which branch of the 35,000 different sects of christianity do you support.

I support Christianity as a whole. I'm a member of CofI. I have a lot of friends of many different denominations and I've learned a lot from all of them.
    Christmas has very little to do with religion. My issue is that the leader of a murderous, incestous, paedaphillic cult is allowed to air his BS views on national television, without the internal abuse scandals questioned.

Christmas has to do with Jesus Christ as I see it. What you quoted is the Pope talking about Jesus. Anyone could do this. The Archbishop of Canterbury, Nicky Gumbel, Rick Warren, Gene Robinson, any Christian would say the same thing for the most part about the amazing Christian narrative about Jesus' birth. It's simply one of the most spectacular things that happened on the face of the earth for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dcmraad

TheZohan wrote: »
    I have a problem with the pope, the catholic church do a lot of good and have the potential to do a lot more good, however I believe that Benedict should be removed and himself and anyone else that was responsible for the cover up etc. should be held accountable so that credibility can be restored to the organisation.

Great post, only problem is, EVERY priest, teacher, garda, politician that was serving in the last 30 years is guilty and should go too.

Advertisement