Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Limerick Group

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

im going to give you some very constructive criticism now........ive been producing music nearly 6 years so ive a fair idea......1st & foremost drop the accent clear your vocals & try & stay away 4rm ''limerick slang''............2nd broaden your vocabulary & tighten your flow up...some tracks have gaps where clever little words could be inserted........lines like '' i didnt sit the leaving'' should be replaced with the likes of '' dropped out of school'' because this is music you want to get noticed so no person outside of ireland can relate to that.........overall the concept is pretty cool though..keep at it man and keep the few pointers in mind ;)...overall not bad.......also unrelated to lyrics the eq'ing could be better

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ItsNugget

pecker1992 wrote: »
    1st & foremost drop the accent clear your vocals & try & stay away 4rm ''limerick slang''because this is music you want to get noticed so no pers
    So they should put on a fake accent and not speak like someone from limerick? Thats hardly what hiphop is about. Does jay z stay away brooklyn slang so that everyone knows what hes talking about? If he used a fake accent and started speaking like someone hes not he'd lose any fans he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Yeah using your own accent for the win. Unintelligible parochial slang and references are what hip hops all about. Delivery reminds me of Lineage, the Kerry hip hop group.

Pulling off a guitar/hip hop hybrid is tricky to make sound natural. Not quite there yet but a decent start I'd say.

criticism is what he asked for..criticism is what he got.......look do you think if jay-z or the likes didnt rap about what everyone can relate to he'd be famous?? tell me gmc tried that whole 'irish' thing and how far has he got??? not very!!......ive been listening to hip hop since 8 years old my man ive seen trends come & go from west coast to dirty south etc.....but the irish thing just dosent fit into todays hip hop...theres 4 million ppl in ireland..im guessing approx 3-400,000 listen to hip hop properly....from that 95% probably wouldnt listen to irish rap so that leaves him with what? about 20,000 people that would..keeping in mind todays current climate how many of those would buy an album?? maybe 1,000 max..there just rough estimate figures but you get the pic i think??........im not hatinf on the guy i love anyone that takes a serious interest in rap its been my passion for 13 years!!

Jay z isnt famous cos he says stuff everyone can relate to. He's famous because he's american and blew up there first. I think GMC would rather how far he has gotten than to make an absolute thick out of himself like your suggesting. Your passionate about hiphop yet still dont understand what its about at all. If you were passionate about hiphop you wouldnt tell someone to do something so ridiculous. Fake accents? Seriously? GTB

• Advertisement

you think not.....look into the rhymes a little closer man...if you ask me some people that rap in ireland make a thick outta themselves for putting on them accents...now im gonna say this once more ive been producing 6 years almost..ive recorded vocals ive every aspect of it covered i freestyle write etc.....unless your deeper into this than a fan im not gonna argue with you any further....and im giving honest criticism not only from what i hear but what people in general say......haha me not passionate :O dude i srpend all day everyday with my neck deep in it.........look what he said let the criticism begin.......i like their concept i honestly do.....but real lyricists need to step past that dirty slang or at least use slang relevant to everyone!!........theres a difference between people doing this for fun & doing it for serious,...by the sounds these lads are serious and want some advice thats what im giving...tell me what kind of advice did you give besides finding an argument in mine??......all i said was..... in a nutshell if not remove the accent then clear it up a little...tighten the vocab & improve the flow.....on the production side the eq could be better but overall not bad!!...its not like i told them they sucked...and furthermore for that matter people like gmc never get anywhere the refuse to wise up to the game...they just think talking like a clown will get you somewhere when infact its only laughed at.....and on the same note ive heard plenty of irish rappers that have accents that fit well...but i just felt not this time!!!!...now tell me where I told this lad to make a thick outta himself??? seriously???

You told him to drop his natural accent and stop using his own slang. Then he would be making a thick out of himself.
    Deeper than a fan? Im a lot deeper than a fan man. I've been into hiphop since i was a kid. I've been making it for years, i've performed in a lot of venues around dublin, performed in scotland, battle in the uk a couple of times, been a **** load of radio stations here and abroad, done a track with one of hiphops most famous producers, been on widely distibuted mixtapeetc. Not once has anyone said i should use a fake accent and slang.
    I didnt give him any feedback on here. I came into the thread and seen you tell him to be something hes not so i commented on it.
    A real lyricist is someone who raps in fake slang? Well done. I suppose fifty cent is the best rapper and 2 pac is 2nd is he?
    By the way GMC had a top ten single, an ablum on major label and a **** load of fans. And you are? Exactly. 6 years of work and some clown has done better than you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

ItsNugget wrote: »
    You told him to drop his natural accent and stop using his own slang. Then he would be making a thick out of himself.
    Deeper than a fan? Im a lot deeper than a fan man. I've been into hiphop since i was a kid. I've been making it for years, i've performed in a lot of venues around dublin, performed in scotland, battle in the uk a couple of times, been a **** load of radio stations here and abroad, done a track with one of hiphops most famous producers, been on widely distibuted mixtapeetc. Not once has anyone said i should use a fake accent and slang.
    I didnt give him any feedback on here. I came into the thread and seen you tell him to be something hes not so i commented on it.
    A real lyricist is someone who raps in fake slang? Well done. I suppose fifty cent is the best rapper and 2 pac is 2nd is he?
    By the way GMC had a top ten single, an ablum on major label and a **** load of fans. And you are? Exactly. 6 years of work and some clown has done better than you.

I think you should start using an accent Nugget :D

But seriously, MC's should deliver naturally or be as comfortable as possible in thier delivery.

As for Campaign, i think it's a great start, very varied sound and not trying to conform to a genre.

By the way GMC had a top ten single, an album on major label and a **** load of fans. And you are? Exactly. 6 years of work and some clown has done better than you.

man yes a single which everybody took as a joke and probably the biggest fail at an attempt of hip hop in history....thats not rap music you & I both know it.......yes ive seen that you've done your bit i actually decided to check out your youtube channel and fair play..you do your thing im not hating on anybody..i never said be something your not i said if not eliminate clean the accent up!!......no 50 cent is not the best rapper i despise the man...im actually listening to alot of jay electronica at the moment and some raekwon too......yes my man hey may have ''done well'' but i dont aim for irish territory its not my scene... im currently producing a track for an album thats hopefully headed to contacts of lil boosie with the right drive :)..ive never released anything over here except a few previews to friends & contacts..im not a lover of the irish scene but i respect it all the same......and i never told you to change your accent did i?? i said for the music in question tidy it up...expand the vocab & delievery a lil bit and it'll be of much better quality and production wise eq could be better...so are you telling me that this man asked for honest opinions and rather than give him yours you decided to twist what I said and feed off of that...there is no negitivity in my original post nor was any intended......im sorry if you decided to take what i said to the extreme but i never ever ever told im be something he's not where exactly did you get that from??:confused.................and also by the way GMC'S a fake thats clear fact & what money he's made off of music ive more hanging round my neck in a chain alone..i dont need to be someone im not to succeed

Telling him to change his accent is telling him to be something he's not. GMC's fake? In what way? In that he raps in his own accent?

• Advertisement

Telling him to change his accent is telling him to be something he's not. GMC's fake? In what way? In that he raps in his own accent?

nono i believe telling him to say things in his raps that arent true,telling him to wear things that he wouldnt normally wear and maybe start playing a guitar & singing would be telling him to be something he's not!!.... my statement was to basically say tidy up the vocals and deliver a little better.....man i just gave my honest opinion.......lets not go there but simple fact 110% bull****ter ive known that for years & ive plenty of people in cork that back that statement..actually just to mention i liked them battles you did they were kinda cool some very witty comments there ;)

Cheers man. Changing his accent would be being something hes not though. Thats just fake to me. I've always known garry to be a sound bloke. Any of the cork heads i know think the same.

no bothers ;)...well i mean jsut clear up a lil more so than change.....accents can be the track's highlight at times too :)...i dont personally know him nor have im not a fan I ive jsut been told he's messed people about and whatnot dont know the full story..ive met some lads from cork that said he;s a1 too so ya never really know....ill have a listen over some of your tracks now man ;) see what there like ;)..do you produce?

Ill clear up your accent! No man i havent really got the patience for the production side of things. I dont even like reocrding my own stuff i have to get other people to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭permangulator

Love the songs...........but WAY too complicated. All over the place in terms of genre....sounded like i was listening to a different band every song i listened to. And don't really know if thats a good thing. But as i said, loving the songs.

Advertisement