Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Advice For Semi-Experience

Options
  • 23-02-2015 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭

Sorry for yet another career advice thread but I appreciate people's experience here.

I've been working as a technical analyst in the IT dept of a financial company for the last three years. Prior to that, I had a business role in another company but developed a lot of MI VBA solutions.

My current role is a mix of problem analysis, small scale VBA development, ETL development, and the odd small scale PHP/Java development.

I'm currently working through a nighttime degree course in Computer Science and will finish May next year. I have a number of personal projects lined up for myself which are partly to learn new technologies and partly to help me keep track of hobbies/finance etc. These include Java Spring, ASP.NET, WPF and PHP; using of course design patterns where applicable. I'll be adding these to a GitHib account. I also have numerous college projects and my grades have been strong. My final year project is a deliberately substantive (probably Spring) web application and will involve batches, web services, etc..

So by the time I graduate in May 2016, I hope to have a somewhat decent GitHub portfolio. I also have plenty of experience in work communicating with the business, extracting requirements, release management and documentation.

So that's my current and expected experience by graduation. I'm trying to make myself as employable as possible as a developer when I graduate given my relative lack of industry experience. Although I'm not an experienced developer, I don't consider myself at a graduate level either. Does anyone have any further advice for someone in my situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭NinetyForNone

Have you got a blog?
    Do you want to work in a large or small company?

I'm not sure if a hiring manager in a small company would bother looking at your github code but they may take a look at your blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Not too fussed about size of company at this stage of my career. Getting experience is my main focus so I won't be picky.

Haven't thought of a blog. What would I write? My experiences of learning new technologies?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭NinetyForNone

What would I write? My experiences of learning new technologies?
    Yes and maybe details some aspects of previous IT development you've done and also some updates on how your project is progressing etc.

Advertisement