Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importation questions.

Options
  • 28-11-2013 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I bought a bike n West Africa which was originally French registered i and I have it booked it in for the VRT inspection. Someone mentioned to me that I may have to pay customs on it because it came from outside the EU but I was of the understanding that as it was originally French then duty was paid?

Also, I went over the 30 days I had to register it as the engine wasn't running (it came into the country in a van), I can't find anywhere how much I'll be charged for this. In 1 month time it will be over 30 years old and VRT would be zero, would I be financially better waiting the month and paying the fine or should I just get it in there?

I called in to the VRT centre and didn't get much help, was told to look up "VRT Calculator" online! :(

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

Theoretically, I'd leave it in the back of the van for another month, and then produce a ferry ticket, and a handwritten receipt (in french bien sûr) from the week before when you go register it then

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Wossack wrote: »
    Theoretically, I'd leave it in the back of the van for another month, and then produce a ferry ticket, and a handwritten receipt (in french bien sûr) from the week before when you go register it then

Like a boss

What bike is it out of curiosity? Pure nosiness like:D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hardwood

Unfortunately I already booked it in for the VRT last month not knowing it had to be running - thought they just checked VIN + paperwork so I guess they know it's already in the country! VRT calc says I'd have to pay 94 euro, not much I suppose, probably similar to the fine I'd get for not registering it! I'm more worried if they try to hit me for customs too!
    cantdecide wrote: »
    Like a boss

What bike is it out of curiosity? Pure nosiness likebiggrin.png

1984 Yamaha Tenere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

I think you should be fine as long as it was registered in france at some stage I think - they'll only chase you for VAT if it was never paid in the EU at all (afaik)

aye, for the sake of 94e, its probably not worth the cloak and dagger :p dont know anything about fines either - I'd be very surprised if they stung you with anything. Can always fall back on, 'it was planned to be in the country in time for that other VRT test, but it missed the boat' / 'that was a different bike'. To be honest, I dont think there exists such joined up thinking in Irish bureaucracy, and you'd get away with it

I think you should be fine as long as it was registered in france at some stage I think - they'll only chase you for VAT if it was never paid in the EU at all (afaik)

I was thinking (hoping) that alright, well I've gone and booked it in for VRT again any so I'll post back what happens for someone else's future reference.

• Advertisement

Even though the bike was brought into the country more than 30 days ago I wasn't fined or charged anything for being late. I had had it booked in for VRT previously and cancelled while I got the bike up to scratch and the VRT guy knew that so I'd say he used his discretion as he knew I wasn't just taking the piss.

Bad news is I got charged VAT as even though I have all the old French paperwork (original logbook, cert of sales, some tax discs) apparently these don't count! He needed a SAD number not even sure what it is but think you get it at the port when you arrive. I had to pay the VAT based on a printout I made that day converting the price I paid in West African Francs to Euro. I can now appeal directly to revenue to get that back.

Called to Revenue, they say I need proof that VAT was paid in the EU. I was told the French logbook, French certificates of sales, French tax discs do not prove that VAT was ever paid in France! Guy in Revenue was helpful but was basically telling me don't hold my breath! I'm going to make my appeal anyway so will report back when they deal with it, could be about 8 weeks I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Alfonzito

Just looked what a SAD form is and looks like a form completed in the exporting EU country stating taxes have been paid in the exporting EU country.

From UK revenues website:

Importing previously exported vehicles

You don’t pay duty or VAT on vehicles imported from outside the EU if the vehicle was previously exported out of the EU. This is known as ‘returned goods relief’. To qualify you must meet these conditions:
    you exported the vehicle outside the EU within the last 3 years
    the taxes were paid on the vehicle in the EU and not refunded when it was exported
    the vehicle hasn’t been altered outside the EU, other than necessary running repairs

To get the relief, drive your vehicle through the ‘green channel’. You must have proof that:
    the vehicle was exported
    you were the person who exported
    it

I would imagine that Irish VAT legislation is similar and the SAD stuff looks like it was created to harmonise VAT treatment within EU countries. No harm in appealing if it costs you nothing, but think that you would need to tick all of the above to be successful.

Alfo

Advertisement