Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your favoruite band & why?

• 16-03-2014 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭

I was 12 when John Lennon was shot. I had only a vauge idea of what the Beatles were. I knew they were a big thing but....

In the weeks & months that followed, I found out more about John Lennon & the Beatles. The more I found out, the more I was impressed.

I still listen to them. Nobody comes close. They were the best, no question in my mind.

In '88 I discovered The Who. I was 19 then.

When I heard The Who, I identefied with it totally & was pleased & relieved that there were fellahs just as screwed up as me in this world.

This is why The Who is still my favorite band.

Supertramp; I bought a Greatest Hits tape from this crowd in the mid '90's.
    Thought it was great at first. Nice well crafted melodies & all that...

After a week of it, I was sick of them. Like loving Jaffa Cakes, eating a load of them & puking.

Supertramp illustrates, in my mind the difference between good music & GREAT music.

So. To me, The Beatles are the best, The Who are my fave.

What are yours & why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

As a wee'un in my teens, The Doors & Zeppelin were the be all and end all of music. The Doors for their subtle brilliance, musicianship and down right wondrous coming together of talent. I even went out and bought an SG with the 'simple' goal of teaching myself guitar and to be able to play Five to One note perfect. Zeppelin had and do still have a place in my heart for the absolute rock & roll madness linked with beautiful poetic charm.

I've had Beatles phases, then preferred The Stones (Oh, controversial!), got into 60's Garage, surf, punk, hit a major Stooges phase etc. but although I don't listen to them as often, I still swing back around to The Doors. I don't know if it's because it reminds me of the feeling of being a youngfella just out of school with freedom everywhere but isn't that why music is important? It brings emotions and ideas to the surface, even sometimes without words which is something special.

-Funk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I don't really listen to anything that would fit in this forum but grew up on the Stones, Purple and stuff. Mostly stuff like Lamb of God these days.

However, last Fri night I traveled out to the sea with some friends and got stoned in a parked car listening to Hendrix. Aint done that in 35 years and it felt great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Achtung Maybe

U2 ... been a fan since War in 1983, watched them become one of the greatest live acts ever IMHO and release two albums in The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby that stand amongst the greatest of our (my) generation.

Any band with a collection of songs such as Where The Streets Have No Name, One, Bad, Sunday Bloody Sunday, etc etc

On a separate note they have been good to me (I have an inoperable brain tumour ..and they have sent letters, goodies etc into me in Beaumont Hospital)...you don't hear about those stories in the press

ps even I can concur that Bono can be an ass at times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Queen was always my favourite band when I was growing up, and as I got to see them in Wembley and Knebworth in 1986, no other concert has come close since (although Rush in the O2 was a close one)

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

The Beatles for me. I remember the very first time I heard "A Day in the Life". By accident, in a friend's house: his older sister was playing it. That was 40 years ago. I was 8. Got into the usual suspects. Dylan, Neil Young, The Doors. Found my way to Pink Floyd and King Crimson. I also - like a poster above - got into Supertramp for a time (Even in the Quietest Moments is a very good album, and "Child of Vision", from Breakfast in America, is a great track) - damn it all, I even liked America for a time... But the bands that have stayed with me:
    The Beatles
    Fairport Convention
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Pink Floyd
    The Allman Bros. ("Whipping Post", man...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nigelo2222

I was 3 when John Lennon was murdered. As such I don't remember much about that tragic day itself but THAT was the truly day the music died.

Yes I absolutely agree. The Beatles were (And still are) the greatest band ever in the history of modern popular music. Their influence is still being felt now 50 years later! Their music is still being played. That's an amazing legacy to have left behind.

So yes. The Beatles are definitely my favourite band even though I'm a 80's kid.

Long live the beatles!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dptcoyle

Rainbow. Going through my dad's vinyls when I was younger I kept coming back to Rainbow Rising and Long Live Rock N Roll. No other band has had such an influence on me, Dio's lyrics introduced me to the world of fantasy and Blackmore's guitar playing made me pick up the instrument myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

Led Zep , Rory , Rush + ACDC.
    All been haunting me for 30+ years. When I was a lot younger I did think one day I might "outgrow" them but not so far !
    If anything ACDC saved there best till last with Black Ice ( well hopefully not absolute last )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Hard to choose, Queen and Pink Floyd both great but I have to say either The Who or ELO for me. Not many songs from both I don't like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Big Cheese

Can never choose as it depends on my mood or whats happening in my life. Zep, Sabbath, CCR, Queen, ACDC. If I was pushed I would sat I listen to more Zep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Aerosmith - My first gig in 1990
    Rolling Stones
    AC/DC
    Black Crowes
    Led Zep
    CCR
    New York Dolls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

David Bowie

As a solo artist, there are very view acts that can match his back catalogue in terms of quality, impact and diversity. While some of his peers such as Elton John or Rod Stewart have sold more records than him, its Bowie's influence on the world of music and indeed popular culture that sets him apart.

Not only can his influence be found in acts from every decade since he came to prominence, but it is still very apparent in current artists today.

His diversity also sets him apart. From the glam rock of Ziggy Stardust to the soul of Young Americans, from the Berlin based Electronica of Low and Heroes to the dance fuelled Lets Dance, from the drum and bass of Earthling to ...well, who knows where he'll take us next.

His place in the hierarchy of Rock and Roll is assured. He stands shoulder to shoulder with the Beatles, The Stones, Elvis Presley, Dylan, Hendrix etc. While other peers such as Prince and Neil Young have also had long and influential careers, they simply haven't released a quality album in decades.
    Bowie's latest album The Next Day was a triumph and was hugely succesful with no TV promotion and no supporting tour, its success was simply down to the massive appeal the man still holds.

Bowie's output hasn't always been top notch, by his own admission the mid 80's were a low point in his career. However, his resiliance is another reason why he is still a force. Having seen him live 10 times over the years, I still pine for one more tour to cap off a glittering career.

As one person put it when interviewed for last years "David Bowie is..." exhibition in London, "its incredible to believe that one man can have such and incredible body of work and influence over such a long period......and he's still not dead yet!"

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭s.m

Queen or The Cars
    Queen for their class music and don't think there'll ever be another singer like Freddie Mercury. The Cars because their music is easy listening to and very catchy I still think Heartbeat City is one of the most underrated albums of all time. I'm also a fan of the Who, Led Zep and Phil Collins

• Registered Users Posts: 4 booklove72

Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA is 30 years old this year
    U2 classic alubum 'The Joshua Tree' Where the streets is the best song IMHO, saw them in 87 when tickets were 15 pound.
    Bon Jovi
    Billy Joel
    iron maiden Classic songs, run to the hills, the trooper, brillant in concert
    The who i hope to see the remaining 2 memebers in nov when they play
    The Doors mr morrison was an rather interesting chappie
    GNR
    Metaillica the song 'One' is brillant
    Beatles
    60's -80's music

I could go on :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Taajsgpm

I was 12 when John Lennon was shot. I had only a vauge idea of what the Beatles were. I knew they were a big thing but....

In the weeks & months that followed, I found out more about John Lennon & the Beatles. The more I found out, the more I was impressed.

I still listen to them. Nobody comes close. They were the best, no question in my mind.

In '88 I discovered The Who. I was 19 then.

When I heard The Who, I identefied with it totally & was pleased & relieved that there were fellahs just as screwed up as me in this world.

This is why The Who is still my favorite band.

Supertramp; I bought a Greatest Hits tape from this crowd in the mid '90's.
    Thought it was great at first. Nice well crafted melodies & all that...

After a week of it, I was sick of them. Like loving Jaffa Cakes, eating a load of them & puking.

Supertramp illustrates, in my mind the difference between good music & GREAT music.

So. To me, The Beatles are the best, The Who are my fave.

What are yours & why?
    When my friends and I have this conversation we always say, "OK lets put the Beatles aside and then we can discuss music" theres just no one close Ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Queen.

Even as a wee kid I always seemed to like whatever they had in the charts. The earliest I can remember is Flash on TOTP when I was 6. Their music seemed to always have power and made me feel good. When I was 10 I saw the video of Hammer to Fall and thought this is awesome. When I hit my teens I started buying their albums. I wasn't interested in anyone else for about a year. I'll still never forget the first time I heard Live Killers.

I then started getting into harder rock and eventually metal and for long periods of whatever genre I was listening to I always came back to them and still do to this day.

One of my biggest regrets in life is passing up the opportunity to see them in Slane when I was 12. I was given a choice of Slane or a video game for the C64. I chose the fúcking game.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭corm500

The Rolling Stones. No other contenders really

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The doors for me. I think because I discovered them at that time when you're young, kinda between school and college and still growing your musical personality.

First time I heard soul kitchen I think was what really got me into it. That's just one hell of a song. The lyrics. "Your fingers weave quick minarets" etc. just made me think of that state of mind beckoning to people in a club or something, drunk and just loving it. Speak in secret alphabets. Learn to forget.

Saw the reformed D21C or Riders on the storm or whatever they were called at the time in Dublin and it was absolutely mind-blowing. Immense. Other clichéd words for good. Really f*cking good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Impossible to choose - depends on the day, depends on the mood. If I picked one, then I would immediately think of another.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 fayvirtue

Wow there are a lot to choose from! I personally like Beatles ,Stones, Led Zep, Jimmy Hendrix Who, Bob Marley , ELO ,Rascals, Doors , Bruce Springsteen , Velvet Underground - to name a few.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

If I were pushed then Deep Purple (MK II) Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix would be at the top most listened to by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 goldenshark

Queen & Pink Floyd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

I'm going to say, the pixies.
    Why? Their music has alot of the qualities I love. It's noisey, slightly weird, kind of dark humour, there's a unique mind at work in there but underneath, its pop music. The quality of their output from 1987-1991 is one of the most impressive runs in modern music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Stones/Zeppelin/Motorhead/Guns/Hendrix/Doors

20 years time they will all be gone:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

@ Sept 23 1989, 20 years? That's stretching it.
    3 of the 5 acts you mentioned are gone, actually 4 (Guns N Roses).

I've been very privileged to see every act I've ever wanted to see live(with one exception being a Freddie Mercury fronted Queen, that still hurts). Black Sabbath last year completed the list.

However I've always been aware of the lack of innovation and genuine quality that follows behind the bands/acts that have been mentioned throughout this post.

I'm very lucky to have seen James Brown twice and Michael Jackson 3 times, both are now gone. With most of my favourite artists at an advanced stage of their lives, Bowie, Neil Young, Roger Waters, BB King, Tom petty, AC/DC etc, I'm worried where we go from here.

Enjoy them while we can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

The rolling Stones
    Fleetwood Mac (Peter greens)
    The Beatles
    ELO
    bowie
    Pink Floyd
    The Elverly Brothers
    Bob Dylan
    The Band
    Jeff Beck
    too many :)

Fleetwood Mac are probably my favourite. I originally liked their earlier stuff and bought a Peter Green album thinking I was getting the stevie Nicks thing. Started listening to it and just loved the rock blues sound and crazy lyrics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention - because they're not bland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I'd probably go with Queen for their intensity and live performances. Their wide variety of sounds and tunes.

Nirvana and Guns n Roses and UB40 are up there.

Hard to luck past MJ as a solo artist. The greatest solo entertainer in history!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

AC/DC
    Stones
    Aerosmith
    Black Crowes
    Quireboys
    CCR

I'm sure you get the jist :)

Just love the groove of that big bluesy rock sound - it's gotta have a groove man !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

For me it's all about the diversity of melodies...

Def Leppard
    Tom Waits
    Joe Satriani

Advertisement