Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating gas

Options
  • 30-10-2013 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi folks

Looking for a little help and advice here.

Recently moved into a house we're renting between Virginia and Ballyjamesduff. The house has gas central heating which is fed from a Calor Gas tank. The previous tennants moved out leaving a €900 bill outstanding with Calor Gas which means they won't now deliver anymore gas until that bill has been settled.

Our landlord has been onto Calor Gas several times but they're not moving and have referred the bill to their legal department.

Due to the weather at the moment (and what's to come) we need gas for the heating & hot water - the house is freezing and we're having to use the immersion for hot water. We don't want to use what little gas is left in the tank until the really bad weather comes in case th edispute carries on for months.

Can anyone point me in the direction of another company who supply home heating gas in the Cavan area? Or has anyone else had this kind of problem witj Calor gas and if so what did you do?:confused:

Any helpfull advice appreciated. :D

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I don't think anyone else can fill the tank with gas! Hence why its a bad option to have when renting.

You should really get the landlord to get a move on with either paying the bill or switching the house to oil. I would certainly be expecting not to pay full rent until the matter is fixed.

I've had issues with unpaid bills but Calor have never screwed over new tennants and would chase the outstanding bill. So something was/is not right with your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mercfisher

Hi Freezingcold, I agree with unclebill, LPG (Liguid Petroleum Gas ) is a bit tricky for rented accommodation, cos with bord gais gas and electricity there's meters and you can ring up and they should tell you if its paid up to date maybe/hopefully!, I say should, my friend had an apartment in Cork rented out, tenants did a runner and didnt pay him rent, he assumed they didn't pay Electricity Service Provider either, so he rang up the "ESP" amazingly they could not discuss the bill as the account wasn't in his name as it was in the tenants, (if there was a bill he wanted to pay it as he knew what might happen down the road) he rented out the apartment anyway to a new tenant and surprise after a week they got cut off from the ESP ! My mate then had to pay the bill , the disconnection/reconnection fee aswell.
    Back to you and the gas, the responsibility here lies with your landlord, he should pay the Calor bill, and should have a clause in his contract with the previous tenant that they are responsible for utility bills during the tenancy.I wish him luck, if he can find them.
    My advice to you is to put in writing to the landlord that you are not paying rent due to having no heating, inform him that you will be be telling the Private Residential Tenancies Board about the situation.

Good luck

Advertisement