Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Toll points proposed for M50

Options
  • 05-06-2013 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭

This won't effect everyone.

But has everyone seen the proposed tolls for the M50.
    MOTORISTS using the country’s busiest road face the prospect of having to pay up to €6.50 in tolls – more than twice the current rate – as part of plans to reduce overcrowding at peak times.

RELATED ARTICLES
    Paul Melia: It's not fair that just 40pc of motorists pay to use road

A major study carried out for the National Roads Authority (NRA) recommends says that five tolling points should be introduced across Dublin’s M50 to reduce demand from motorists making short trips.

However, the NRA faces a battle to implement the charges, as with Transport Minister Leo Varadkar has stated his opposition to the plans for now, warning that they would will push traffic into residential areas.

Capacity on the motorway is being severely reduced because of the numbers of people using it, often when there are alternative routes available.

Although the road was upgraded just three years ago at a cost of €1bn, the report says that “safe operational capacity” is being exceeded at peak times on some sections, including the connections with the M1 to the North, the N4 to Lucan and the West and the M7 to Cork and Kildare.

Unless demand is reduced, congestion will be “commonplace” within the next decade, it warns.

The report, which has been seen by the Irish Independent and which will be presented to local councillors today, also says:

- Journey times are becoming less reliable and traffic is moving more slowly because so many vehicles useare using the road.

- Motorists are being forced to queue to enter and exit the motorway at peak times.

- “Safe operational capacity” is being exceeded on some links at peak hours.

- A series of measures is needed to reduce traffic volumes, including varying the speed limit at certain sections and reducing the numbers coming on to the road at key times by having slower traffic signals at junctions.

- Five tolling points should also be introduced – between Ballymun and Finglas; the current point at Blanchardstown; at Parkwest between the N4 and Red Cow; between Firhouse and Ballinteer; and between Sandyford and Carrickmines.

- The tolls should be €1.30 each. The maximum charge would be €6.50 per car if all five points were passed, which would affect 4,400 drivers a day – 1.5pc of total users.

The study was a condition of planning permission for the upgrade, which was granted in 2008.

An Bord Pleanala told the NRA that it had to produce a plan to manage traffic volumes not later than three years after the M50 upgrade was completed to “protect the traffic capacity”.

It is expected that up to 81pc of all motorists will pay a toll if multi-point tolling is introduced. This compares with 39pc at present and it would remove one in 10 vehicles from the road.

The report will raise major difficulties for the Government, and in particular Transport Minister Leo Varadkar, who has already ruled out extra tolls on the country’s network.

This is because it cannot be seen to allow the motorway, which was upgraded at huge expense to the taxpayer, to return to gridlock with the knock-on economic impacts that would follow.

However, nor can it cannot be seen to penalise motorists who have already been hit with increases in motor tax, higher fuel prices, more expensive tolls and deteriorating roads.

Last night, Mr Varadkar ruled out the introduction of multi-point tolling for now, saying he did not think it was a “good idea”.

He said any hikes can only be in line with inflation.

The Minister for Transport and the Government have to give permission for new tolls, which means changes on the M50 are unlikely to happen while Mr Varadkar is minister.

“I do not think multi-point tolling is a good idea,” Mr Varadkar said when asked for comment by the Irish Independent on the NRA M50 report.

Mr Varadkar is a TD for Dublin West, one of the constituencies which the M50 runs through, and says a wider examination of congestion in the capital is needed.

He added: “It will only push traffic off the M50, on to other roads and through local communities,” he said.

“At present, congestion is not the problem that it was during the boom, but it will re-emerge as an issue as the economy recovers.

Upgraded

“At that point, we will need a joined-up solution to deal with congestion across the city – and not just on the M50.”

The report says there has been a 26pc increase in traffic volumes on the road since September 2008, with 320,000 trips a day made on the M50.

“If traffic on the M50 continues to grow, within 10 years congestion will again be commonplace,” it predicts the report says.

“Without the intervention of demand-management measures, the functionality and safety of the M50 would deteriorate, journey-time reliability would diminish and this would have negative consequences for economic activity.”

The NRA refused to comment on the report, saying it would be made public tomorrow.

A final version will be published in September.

They are claiming its an attempt to reduce traffic. So what do people use, our glorious public transport system.

What about couriers who are already to the pin of their collar trying to keep vans and trucks on the road.

I live in Dublin and go out of it in mornings for work via M50 and back in. By my calculations I would have to pay €7.80 a day on top of fuel to go to work.
    That's an extra €40 a week almost €2,000 a year on top of road tax , insurance and fuel costs.

I won't be paying it , even If I have to go to jail. That is a cert.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's not fair that just 40pc of motorists pay to use road

The majority of the motorway was built with taxpayers money, all motorists (and every other taxpayer) have already paid for the road.

The bridge was built with private investment which is why it was the only point tolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Get a motorbike. Don't pay toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

This won't effect everyone.

But has everyone seen the proposed tolls for the M50.

They are claiming its an attempt to reduce traffic. So what do people use, our glorious public transport system.

What about couriers who are already to the pin of their collar trying to keep vans and trucks on the road.

I live in Dublin and go out of it in mornings for work via M50 and back in. By my calculations I would have to pay €7.80 a day on top of fuel to go to work.
    That's an extra €40 a week almost €2,000 a year on top of road tax , insurance and fuel costs.

I won't be paying it , even If I have to go to jail. That is a cert.

Sad part is,your lordship,you WILL go to jail.

It's kinda odd that our assorted other Toll Facility Operators are being compensated by the State (us) for a shortfall in projected due to lack of traffic,whilst this guff is thrown out as a softner to fleece the ordinary tax-payer,yet again.

Given that the original M50 project actually saw an undercapicity road built complete with Toll-Booth Plinths in place at the on-ramps,I still await with bated breath,the dismissal of the entire NRA Board along with it's CEO......note that's "bated" breath,I'm not actually holding it....for obvious reasons....:o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

So,open a motorway to relieve traffic in citiy at rush hour,then push all that traffic back into the city to relieve the motorway?,some clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

stevenmu wrote: »
    The majority of the motorway was built with taxpayers money, all motorists (and every other taxpayer) have already paid for the road.

The bridge was built with private investment which is why it was the only point tolled.

Absolutely +100% .

This latest episode in a long-running saga represents crookery at its most blatant.

It is designed simply to put in place an income stream to the NRA,which in time would allow the Government to sell it off to Private Sector investors.

If Leo V wants to guarantee his re-election,he'd be well advised to face down whoever is peddling this shytt....and mark my words there will be some dubious creatures crawling all over this turd.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/politics/original-cost-of-m50-toll-bridge-unknown-126869.html
    THE Government did not even know how much it cost to build the controversial M50 toll bridge before it agreed to a €600 million buyout of the operation in 2008, it has emerged.
    The Department of Transport secretary general, Tom O’Mahony, has also revealed how the Government was at a loss as to how much the private company behind the project, National Toll Roads (NTR), had originally invested in the operation before agreeing to a deal which would ensure the company received a €1.15 billion return on its investment.

Under the 2008 deal, the Government agreed to a staggered compensation package which, when added to 18 years of toll revenues, will ensure NTR earns €1,155,786,122 from the traffic-blighted carriageway by 2020.

In a letter to the Public Accounts Committee, Mr O’Mahony also said a six-month trawl of various state agencies had failed to find a figure for how much the toll bridge actually cost.

“In response to our requests, the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government provided the relevant files and documentation held by them relating to the original West-Link bridge.

“We also obtained copies of relevant papers held by the National Roads Authority. However, in our search of those files, no data was found relating to the final construction costs of the West-Link bridge.”

:mad:

Mod Note: I've snipped the article down. Please don't quote full articles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

So the M50 was built to reduce congestion in Dublin City, but now it is too busy so they are going to force everyone back in to the city?

I <3 Ireland, u so funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

They should just introduce Troll points for the oblivious f'ckers in the overtaking lanes. Lots more money to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

not a bad idea , IF they reduced the tolls so that the total was less than it was now. There'll be far more money collected with the shorter journeys, so why not a much reduced price ?
    go past 1 toll pay €0.90, 2 tolls pay €1.70, 3 tolls pay €2.40, 4 tolls €2.90, 5 tolls pay €3.30

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar has said he has no plans to introduce new tolling points on the M50, as proposed by the National Roads Authority.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0605/454681-m50-tolls/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭golfball37

The 3 men involved at the inception stage of this were [from memory] Redmond, P Flynn and R Burke.

Enough said. You can't blame Leo for this one, this is another FF created mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

1 billion to upgrade a road...
    :eek:

A **** road,, where a lot of people drive in the wrong lane. I pay motortax and disagree with all these tolls popping up, for what is minimal infrastructure. A lot of bad deals by the gob****s in power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

FYT.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

Couriers and white van men having to pay extra.

GOOD. (hate the fckers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

JD DABA wrote: »
    Couriers and white van men having to pay extra.

GOOD. (hate the fckers)
    Until the prices of the relevant services go up and you pay more for those on top of paying more in tolls!

I think we should all stop spending our money this week and send the govt a cheque. To hell with the economy, the bondholders need the money more!

Advertisement