Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is worse for your skin ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

starling wrote: »
    I reckon your care of your skin as opposed to your sister's treatment of hers is definitely standing to you there. Especially if she regularly falls asleep with makeup on :eek:

Ah, I should add, she doesn't always wear make-up, and to be fair to her, she does take care of her skin, just not as diligently as my pretty-much-always approach. I'm the person my friends come to at the end of all night parties with requests for face cleaning products, which, if I've traveled to get to the party, and will be staying overnight, I'll probably have with me. Little mini bottles from Boots, filled with the kind of things that makes your face feel great after you've danced yourself silly for hours. I thoroughly enjoy that clean face feeling at the end of the day.

A simple pleasure that always works wonders for me. And others too, I've inadvertently noticed over many years. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭thiarfearr

pirelli wrote: »
    Genetics you say

The sun may be unpleasant for our skin if not dangerous but think of the legacy we pass on to our children.We are making their skin genetically better by staying in the sun.

Burn blister, and peel for the future.

Genetics doesn't work that way though, unless you burn and blister so much that nobody will make babies with you and only the non-burned/blistered people breed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    I'm the person my friends come to at the end of all night parties with requests for face cleaning products, which, if I've traveled to get to the party, and will be staying overnight, I'll probably have with me. Little mini bottles from Boots, filled with the kind of things that makes your face feel great after you've danced yourself silly for hours. I thoroughly enjoy that clean face feeling at the end of the day.

A simple pleasure that always works wonders for me. And others too, I've inadvertently noticed over many years. :)

:D I am exactly the same about that! When I was in college and there was always a chance of the "all back to mine" situation occurring on any given day, I used to save up the little sample sachets of cleanser etc you get, and keep a few in my bag at all times :)
    Took me a long time to get out of that habit, cause even when I left college and went to work you never knew when that "one quick pint after work on Friday" was going to end with you rocking up home on Saturday afternoon :pac:

And the little bottles, I'm actually getting unnaturally excited. May or may not have a bit of an obsession with Muji. What? That's not weird is it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

All three wrinkles skin dryness skin damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Have spent the last three days worshipping the sun and I'm turning goldeny brown even with a factor fifty on (just face and neck). I'm not generally the kind to sit in it but I had the last few days off so spent most of it outside. Few years ago though I got caught walking to and from work during a blazing summer and only ever used moisturisers with added spf, they're not worth a funk, learned my lesson and won't use anything less than 50 on my face.
    My mother has amazing skin and people often comment on mine so many people say it's down to genetics but I think looking back on it, she was never the kind to sit out in it either. The sun is great, I don't think it's scaremongering to advise people wear protection if they are at risk of over exposure to it though. That's just being sensible.

(I'm using roc soleil protexion 50+ which is great as a daily skin moisturizer and good to wear under make up too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

starling wrote: »
    Well unfortunately Remmy if the sun changes the colour of your skin, that is your skin being damaged and trying to protect itself from more damage:(

Do you ever exfoliate? Because that damages your skin! Bam bam baaaaaam!

Tanning is a natural process whereby your skin produces more melanin as sun exposure progresses, this means that you can be pale in winter and take advantage of sparse sun, while being tanned in summer and not absorb too much vitamin or burn your skin. Pretty clever evolutionary adaptation to seasonal sunlight if you ask me.

Note, I speak of tanning, no burning, it's possible to enjoy sunlight without burning (or tanning, for that matter). Exposure levels are different depending on your skin type, but if you have fairer skin then you need less sunlight than those with darker skin. (Again, clever human body we have).

A preview of an article asserting that moderate sun exposure attracts immune cells to the skin surface, thereby helping fight cancer.

Here's a study showing that melanoma is increasing for indoor workers but not outdoor workers and suggesting that reduced cutaneous vitamin D levels may be responsible for increase in melanoma.

Another showing that, despite getting 3-10 times the amount of sun exposure of indoor workers, outdoor workers get less melanoma.

Tanning may protect against melanoma.

Some other benefits of sun exposure, apart from vitamin D production.

Let me know if you want more 'facts'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Why do people think dark wrinkly skin is bad? No evidence that it would have any more health implications and if you think it looks bad that's a personal thing. Wrinkly skin looks bad anyway, dark or pale.

It's like when morons say, "oh, what's that tattoo gonna look like when you're 80?" It's gonna look sh*te, like all parts of all 80 year olds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Ush1 wrote: »
    Why do people think dark wrinkly skin is bad? No evidence that it would have any more health implications and if you think it looks bad that's a personal thing. Wrinkly skin looks bad anyway, dark or pale.

It's like when morons say, "oh, what's that tattoo gonna look like when you're 80?" It's gonna look sh*te, like all parts of all 80 year olds.

Generally because Irish people don't tend to take sun to well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Festy wrote: »
    Generally because Irish people don't tend to take sun to well.

Well I would say the sun can and does have positive effects on your skin. Booze and smoke have zero good effects.

Advertisement