Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is worse for your skin ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

starling wrote: »
    No matter whether you actually develop a more serious condition like lung cancer etc, smoking damages your skin, affecting blood flow and how much oxygen gets to the tissues etc. And the body concentrates on trying to cope with damage to the internal organs first, it's like a triage system in an A&E department, the skin is way down the priority list.

Actual doctors and dermatologists will all tell you that smoking is the no.1 worst thing for your skin, closely followed by too much sun.

Personally I wear sunscreen every day but then I've seen how much UV damage I already had by the age of 30 and it put the fear of god into me.

Is sunscreen enough to prevent skin damage? I live in a hot country and am nervous now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

Is sunscreen enough to prevent skin damage? I live in a hot country and am nervous now...

Sunscreen and avoiding too much exposure on sunny days and/or the times of day when the sun's rays are strongest (11am-3pm) will see you right, provided you're a) using a high enough SPF and UV protection rating and b) applying enough of it - don't be trying to cover a whole arm with a 10c sized dollop.
    The Irish Cancer Society has a guide to this, I think. I'm on an iPod touch so it's a bit tricky to insert a link here, sorry. But the things you should know are widely available on the intertubes :)

The protection factor you need will depend on what skin type/ethnicity you have. I think the ICS recommends factor 30 or higher for Irish people. Personally because I am very very pale and burn within five minutes of leaving the house, I use factor 50. But then my mum and all my aunties have had skin cancer, so I might be a bit overcautious.

If you do have to be out of doors between 11 and 3 you might want to wear a hat. At the very least wear good quality polarised sunglasses because the skin around your eyes is much thinner and more delicate than elsewhere.

I personally don't think that moisturisers or foundations with built in sun protection are enough because you're unlikely to be putting enough on to give you proper protection. It's better to use a seperate sunscreen IMO.

If you are a person who wears makeup and you want your sunscreen to play nice with your foundation, I have always found that the Chanel sunscreen (I can't remember the proper name) works as an excellent base for liquid foundations. it's factor 50, good quality protection.

There was another one I used to use before I heard recommendations for the Chanel one, and it was also good and possibly a wee bit cheaper. I can't remember the brand because I'm a spa. Sorry. But what I'm getting at is, there are a few different options on the market nowadays.

Finally, if you wear mineral makeup it acts as a physical sunblock, which is good. It also has the advantage of not melting off your face in the sun. It tends to suit people with oily/combination skin best. If you want to try it don't get Bare Minerals, it's crap. I use LilyLolo, it's much better.

Sorry for the novel. I need a lie down after typing all that WITH MY THUMBS I HOPE IT DOES SOMEBODY SOME GOOD;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

There was a picture of a truck driver's face, where the side that faced the window was much more wrinkled than the other. Pretty crazy, google truck driver tan you'll probably get it.

First thing that came to mind when I read the thread title. Never realised before seeing it that the sun could do quite so much damage over time.

Sunscreen and avoiding too much exposure on sunny days and/or the times of day when the sun's rays are strongest (11am-3pm) will see you right, provided you're a) using a high enough SPF and UV protection rating and b) applying enough of it - don't be trying to cover a whole arm with a 10c sized dollop.
    The Irish Cancer Society has a guide to this, I think. I'm on an iPod touch so it's a bit tricky to insert a link here, sorry. But the things you should know are widely available on the intertubes :)

The protection factor you need will depend on what skin type/ethnicity you have. I think the ICS recommends factor 30 or higher for Irish people. Personally because I am very very pale and burn within five minutes of leaving the house, I use factor 50. But then my mum and all my aunties have had skin cancer, so I might be a bit overcautious.

If you do have to be out of doors between 11 and 3 you might want to wear a hat. At the very least wear good quality polarised sunglasses because the skin around your eyes is much thinner and more delicate than elsewhere.

I personally don't think that moisturisers or foundations with built in sun protection are enough because you're unlikely to be putting enough on to give you proper protection. It's better to use a seperate sunscreen IMO.

If you are a person who wears makeup and you want your sunscreen to play nice with your foundation, I have always found that the Chanel sunscreen (I can't remember the proper name) works as an excellent base for liquid foundations. it's factor 50, good quality protection.

There was another one I used to use before I heard recommendations for the Chanel one, and it was also good and possibly a wee bit cheaper. I can't remember the brand because I'm a spa. Sorry. But what I'm getting at is, there are a few different options on the market nowadays.

Finally, if you wear mineral makeup it acts as a physical sunblock, which is good. It also has the advantage of not melting off your face in the sun. It tends to suit people with oily/combination skin best. If you want to try it don't get Bare Minerals, it's crap. I use LilyLolo, it's much better.

Sorry for the novel. I need a lie down after typing all that WITH MY THUMBS I HOPE IT DOES SOMEBODY SOME GOOD;)

Thanks for all that! I wear sunscreen on the rest of my bod but only ever used facial moisturiser with factor 15 in it. Just bought factor 50 sunscreen for my face and put it on immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Smoking and drinking will defo make your skin more haggard and aged looking .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Latchy wrote: »
    Smoking and drinking will defo make your skin more haggard and aged looking .

Drugs too. If you want to see a testament to clean living, see the last Led Zeppelin live performance, Celebration Day. John Paul Jones (who stayed away from the excesses of his colleagues) looks about half the age of either Page or Plant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Drugs too. If you want to see a testament to clean living, see the last Led Zeppelin live performance, Celebration Day. John Paul Jones (who stayed away from the excesses of his colleagues) looks about half the age of either Page or Plant
    For sure ...

I have seen the ravage's of smoking and alcohol abuse on somebody I've known all my life which has aged him by at least 15 years if not more and the list of rock stars who abused drugs and died young ( Jimi Hendrix ,Janis Joplin ,Brian Jones ,Jim Morrison and more ) is testament to that .Keith Richards is probably the exception but his face tells it's own story .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

monflat wrote: »
    Smoking I think
    this is based on the smokers I know..... around their mouth they are destroyed with wrinkles and they have that yellow tinge off them !
    Like wallpaper in a smokers room all yellow and dirty

Anyone who has wallpaper doesn't deserve happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Festy wrote: »
    Is it this guy ? If so,damn :eek:

gMePgLE.jpg

Is that Charlie Haughey!?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

The damage from smoking & drinking takes longer to be noticeable, but that doesn't mean it's not happening...once it's noticeable, it's too late to do anything about it without some serious cosmetic procedures

But it won't kill you for your skin ... cancer will.

I've smoked and drank most of my life. I'm middle-aged, and am told I have perfect skin. I am also part Cherokee Indian. So, I imagine I have more resistance to aging caused by the sun than most Irish would... I have not left Tipperary or Waterford counties in the last 2 months, or Ireland the last 7, yet I have a nice sun tan.

If you are fair-skinned, the sun is the worst thing for it.

• Advertisement

Reindeer wrote: »

Yeah but the question under discussion wasn't "which one of these will kill you" it was "which is worse for your skin" which we have all been taking to mean the appearance of your skin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Yeah but the question under discussion wasn't "which one of these will kill you" it was "which is worse for your skin" which we have all been taking to mean the appearance of your skin

The sun is, by far, the worst. Just ask any doctor.

You live in Ireland, so this question is basically moot.

Thanks for all that! I wear sunscreen on the rest of my bod but only ever used facial moisturiser with factor 15 in it. Just bought factor 50 sunscreen for my face and put it on immediately.

You are more than welcome Legs, it's great to hear you've upgraded your protection!:)
    Despite my apparent inability to resist giving out all kinds of advice, I actually don't like to be telling people how to run their lives, but so many of us don't realise the importance of sun protection!

There's one more thing I should have mentioned too. Years ago it was quite common for women to neglect the neck when thinking about sun protection and skincare. The result was a lot of women with very well cared for faces and wrinkly necks:(
    Nowadays most of us know to include the neck, but a lot of us don't realise that ideally you should be treating the décolleté (from your nipples to your neck basically) the same as your face.

In my last job (which by the way had nothing to do with skincare) I dealt with the public all day and I saw a lot of middle-class women around the 40ish mark who had clearly taken very good care of their faces and necks, but had neglected the décolleté; when they wore v necklines you could see the skin there was beginning to show wrinkles even though none were really visible on their faces. The skin of the décolleté area is more like that of the face than that of the rest of the body, in terms of how delicate it is.
    (Just FYI I didn't go around staring down people's tops or anything it was a random consequence of the job:))

The sun is, by far, the worst. Just ask any doctor.

That's exactly what I've been saying:confused:
    You live in Ireland, so this question is basically moot.

How so? Does Ireland have some kind of special UV filter in our airspace that we haven't been told about? Is it a conspiracy or something? Cause my tinfoil hat is at the drycleaners, they said it wouldn't be ready until Wednesday, maybe we should discuss it then?

I've smoked and drank most of my life. I'm middle-aged, and am told I have perfect skin. I am also part Cherokee Indian. So, I imagine I have more resistance to aging caused by the sun than most Irish would... I have not left Tipperary or Waterford counties in the last 2 months, or Ireland the last 7, yet I have a nice sun tan.

Except for, you know, battery acid and....lots of stuff.

I'm not saying everyone should lay out in the sun for hours but this kind of scare-mongering isn't needed for a country that's likely to be full of people with low vitamin D levels (which is an indicator for cancer and lots of other diseases, donchaknow)

Except for, you know, battery acid and....lots of stuff.

I'm not saying everyone should lay out in the sun for hours but this kind of scare-mongering isn't needed for a country that's likely to be full of people with low vitamin D levels (which is an indicator for cancer and lots of other diseases, donchaknow)

Well to be fair Kaiser we only need 5-15 minutes of sunlight exposure to the face and hands, 2-3 times a week to get our Vitamin D. We can also get it in our diet.
    The country is not full of people who are low on Vitamin D.

What it is full of is people who will get skin cancer in the next year, because skin cancer is actually the most common cancer in Ireland. Most cases are treatable if caught early, but I hardly think you can reasonably call educating people about it "scaremongering".

Far from there being some kind of mass hysteria and panic over skin cancer, most people are very ill-informed about the actual facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Boofle

Thank you for that! Some great advice there!

Well to be fair Kaiser we only need 5-15 minutes of sunlight exposure to the face and hands, 2-3 times a week to get our Vitamin D. We can also get it in our diet.
    The country is not full of people who are low on Vitamin D.

What it is full of is people who will get skin cancer in the next year, because skin cancer is actually the most common cancer in Ireland. Most cases are treatable if caught early, but I hardly think you can reasonably call educating people about it "scaremongering".

Far from there being some kind of mass hysteria and panic over skin cancer, most people are very ill-informed about the actual facts.

Scaremongering is exactly what I'd call telling fair-skinned people that the Sun is the 'worst thing for them' (a preposterous statement). A study of Irish athletes (most who would be outside more than average) showed 70% were low in vitamin D, which is a pretty serious condition seeing as it's one of our most important vitamins (more like a hormone, in fact). You can get it from your diet but you'd have to be eating an awful lot of fish to get the same amounts from 10 minutes of exposure to the sun.

And if we're talking about cancer, the most common type is non-melanoma skin cancer, which is easily treatable and usually appears where the skin has been exposed to the sun. Melanoma skin cancer is a lot more dangerous and usually appears where there has been no sun exposure. Low vitamin D levels are also associated with serious cancers such as the breast, prostate, bowel and lung varieties

Scaremongering is exactly what I'd call telling fair-skinned people that the Sun is the 'worst thing for them' (a preposterous statement).
    A preposterous statement that no-one's made. OP asked which is worse for your skin, smoking, drinking or the sun.
    Answer: Smoking is worst, closely followed by sun.
    Since many people are unaware of just what the risks are regarding sun damage, which includes but is not limited to skin cancer, telling them the facts cannot reasonably be considered scaremongering.

A preposterous statement that no-one's made.

Pay attention.
    OP asked which is worse for your skin, smoking, drinking or the sun.
    Answer: Smoking is worst, closely followed by sun.
    Since many people are unaware of just what the risks are regarding sun damage, which includes but is not limited to skin cancer, telling them the facts cannot reasonably be considered scaremongering.

What facts? 'Stay out of the sun, you'll get cancer, dur!'

• Advertisement

Pay attention.
    Do try to actually pay attention to the facts. The poster you're referring to has exhibited much of the same ignorance I was talking about, by claiming that if you live in Ireland, the point is moot.
    Skin cancer is so common in ireland because people mistakenly think that there is not "enough sun" to be a problem.
    Non-melanoma skin cancer may not be fatal, but that doesn't mean I want to get it. Removal of tumours will leave a scar. On your face. The several people in my family who have had skin cancer would have preferred to have understood the risks and avoided this outcome.

What facts? 'Stay out of the sun, you'll get cancer, dur!'

No, the facts I've posted. The facts about sun damage, skin aging and skin cancer. The facts you can easily check for youself. That would be facts now, not random ignorant conjectures like "Ireland is likely to be full of people who are Vitamin D deficient,dur."

Do try to actually pay attention to the facts. The poster you're referring to has exhibited much of the same ignorance I was talking about, by claiming that if you live in Ireland, the point is moot.
    Skin cancer is so common in ireland because people mistakenly think that there is not "enough sun" to be a problem.

The poster I was referring to was the one I was replying to, then you come along and claim that no one made a statement, one which I had directly quoted. Clearly you didn't read the post which you replied to. The mind boggles.
    Non-melanoma skin cancer may not be fatal, but that doesn't mean I want to get it. Removal of tumours will leave a scar. On your face. The several people in my family who have had skin cancer would have preferred to have understood the risks and avoided this outcome.

Ah, so you have a personal reasons yo your posts. Explains a lot.
    No, the facts I've posted. The facts about sun damage, skin aging and skin cancer. The facts you can easily check for youself. That would be facts now, not random ignorant conjectures like "Ireland is likely to be full of people who are Vitamin D deficient,dur."

You seem to be confusing the words 'facts' and 'statements'.

Here's the study I referred to, sample, 94% of GAA players were vitamin D deficient during winter and 74% of athletes deficient in vitamin D after winter. It is reasonable to ascertain from these statistics that the average Irish person (likely to be indoors more than athletes) is vitamin D deficient.

How about a quote from the Food Safety Authority?
    Q. Why has this report been published?

The recent re-emergence of rickets (a severe form of vitamin D deficiency causing deformity of the bones) amongst infants in Ireland indicated the widespread low levels of vitamin D in the Irish population. A working group was established to investigate the problem in infants and to publish recommendations based on their findings.

Q. Why has vitamin D deficiency become a problem in Ireland?

Vitamin D deficiency was thought to have been eradicated in Ireland after the Second World War, due to better nutrition. However, over 20 cases of rickets in infants and toddlers have been reported at two Dublin hospitals in the last four to five years. Further evidence is emerging that there is widespread low levels of vitamin D in the general population in Ireland. There are several factors which have contributed to this.

Vitamin D is mainly produced in the body by exposure of the skin to sunlight. However, because of Ireland’s northerly latitude, in the months between November and March there is inadequate quality and quantity of sunlight to enable sufficient production of vitamin D by the body (the current recommended dietary daily amount of vitamin D is 5 µg). Even on sunny days in the winter, the sun’s rays are of the wrong type for the production of vitamin D. In addition, with more people working indoors and using sunscreen when outside, vitamin D from sunlight exposure has decreased.
    Dietary sources of vitamin D are not consumed in sufficient quantities to counter the lack of sunlight exposure

Of course, because this doesn't fit in with your beliefs, I'm probably making this up

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭stretchdoe

Why is everyone blaming it on the sunshine and the good times?
    What about the boogie?

Walking around the city today and the amount of people in this city smoking in the sun!! Ahhh!! Didn't I feel smug slathered my factor 50 and the fact that I've given up the fags over 3 years now! Oh yes indeed. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Sun definitely!

Ah, so you have a personal reasons yo your posts. Explains a lot.
    You've caught me - I am horribly, horribly biased against skin cancer.
    You seem to be confusing the words 'facts' and 'statements'.

Here's the study I referred to, sample, 94% of GAA players were vitamin D deficient during winter and 74% of athletes deficient in vitamin D after winter. It is reasonable to ascertain from these statistics that the average Irish person (likely to be indoors more than athletes) is vitamin D deficient.

How about a quote from the Food Safety Authority?

Of course, because this doesn't fit in with your beliefs, I'm probably making this up

There's no need to get insulting here. I will happily accept facts from the FSA and it is true that babies and toddlers are much more likely to be either kept out of the sun or covered in sunscreen by their parents than they were years ago when people didn't realise the risks of sun exposure on children's skin.

However that does not negate the fact that a vast number of people in Ireland don't fully realise the risks when it comes to sun damage. Again, I'm not just talking about cancer here. The thread is more about the effect of the sun on the skin's appearance in general, compared with the effects of smoking and drinking.

I stand by my assertion that educating people about skin damage from the sun is not "scaremongering" in any form. If you don't want to use sun protection that is entirely your right. However lots of people, especially women, would rather protect their skin from both premature wrinkles, other signs of aging, and skin cancer. The benefits of using sun protection outweight the risk of not getting enough Vitamin D, since it can be supplemented if someone tests as being deficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

So is it possible to go from the typical Irish complexion to a nice glow (not brown) without paying for it going into later life?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

The sun, I reckon.

My sister is 5 years younger than me, and people always think I'm the younger sister. We both smoke (though, I do regularly quit, was never an all-day smoker and didn't start as young as my sister did) but she has spent a lot more time in the sun than I have, quite a lot more time. She's not great at cleaning and moisturising her skin either, while I am quite diligent in that respect, so that may play a part too. All those things considered, I suspect the sun is more damaging.

Remmy wrote: »
    So is it possible to go from the typical Irish complexion to a nice glow (not brown) without paying for it going into later life?
    Well unfortunately Remmy if the sun changes the colour of your skin, that is your skin being damaged and trying to protect itself from more damage:(
    So any tanning is going to have an effect when you get older. It's up to you how much extra aging you're willing to accept for a bit of colour now, and to be fair, the whole fear of wrinkles etc is a bit much IMHO....a fair amount of it comes from women's fear of looking "old" because we are told that "old" means "unattractive".
    That's not necessarily true; I know some blokes who say, for example, that if a woman has a few smile lines they automatically find her more attractive because it shows that she laughs a lot. OTOH if someone has a lot of frown lines, it kind of suggests they frown a lot, though we're not talking about an exact science or anything here :)
    If you really want colour, but want to avoid damage as much as possible, i'm afraid the only truly safe tan is fake tan, just like the only truly 100% safe sex is no sex.
    And just like abstinence, fake tan is not a lot of fun and not everyone wants to go with that option:)
    My own personal opinion is that I cba painting my whole freaking body for other people, I don't care if I glow in the dark:pac: Pale is not automatically unattractive, paleness used to be highly valued in ladies, so it's one of those "standards" that changes. Just like how society changes its views on what body size and shape are best. So how much a person wants to strive for whatever ideal of beauty, is up to them, an it's fine until they take it to extremes COUGHPatriciaKrentzilCOUGH :)

• Advertisement

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    The sun, I reckon.

My sister is 5 years younger than me, and people always think I'm the younger sister. We both smoke (though, I do regularly quit, was never an all-day smoker and didn't start as young as my sister did) but she has spent a lot more time in the sun than I have, quite a lot more time. She's not great at cleaning and moisturising her skin either, while I am quite diligent in that respect, so that may play a part too. All those things considered, I suspect the sun is more damaging.

I reckon your care of your skin as opposed to your sister's treatment of hers is definitely standing to you there. Especially if she regularly falls asleep with makeup on :eek:

Advertisement