Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭rebelmomma

feeling very down today. A close family relative passed away last Sunday. The thing is we fell out two years ago and never made up with each other. I feel so guilty that I didn't make it up and today I am worried that my depression which i had strong about 8 years ago is creeping back. I attended the funeral and feel that I am going through the grieving process but really I am all over the place. I nearly had a head on today when driving just from being spaced out.

I don't want to go back to that dark place again. Even if i know it is possible to come back. any tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Nobody wants to be socially retarded. When I was about 16 I could talk to anybody. Now I can barely get through going to Tesco for some grub.

I wish I knew exactly what to say here sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

i dont feel like eating anything.

It's so pathetic to be at this age and the only people I have to talk to are online.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭rebelmomma

i dont feel like eating anything.

It's so pathetic to be at this age and the only people I have to talk to are online.

It is not pathetic.. you are talking to someone which is 100% better than keeping it to yourself.

rebelmomma wrote: »
    It is not pathetic.. you are talking to someone which is 100% better than keeping it to yourself.

The only reason is because I want someone to care

• Advertisement

A close family relative passed away last Sunday.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I think you're both sorta right lol. It can be tough reaching out to strangers be it a counsellor, a support group or even online here but as they say a problem shared is a problem halved

Everyone who posts on here cares. We might not know each other that well but we all care

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

:( *hugs*

I can relate a lot to how you feel. Last summer I had absolutely no desire to do anything, and it basically amounted to three months spent in bed sleeping all day and not being able to sleep at night. I spent all summer looking forward to going back to college; within a few weeks of starting college I started wishing I was anywhere else in the world. Eventually I started falling too far behind (the sleep during the day and sleeping awake all night pattern repeating itself) to cope and that's when I finally went to my doctor to get help.

This summer, life hasn't been quite as bad. Ending up in a relationship definitely made me feel a whole lot better. :) But I still feel apathetic and down when I'm at home, and going back to college is something I'm anticipating and dreading in equal measures. It will be my final year, and I'm expecting to end up feeling down all the time again. This time though, I'm gonna get counselling if I can't cope; bottling it up for way too long did me no favours whatsoever.

I never posted in this thread before; after a wonderful day Tuesday I've been feeling pretty down today and yesterday for no reason. :( Even when depression improves some bit, I guess everyone still has their ups and downs.

Anyway, enough rambling about my boring life. :) Your Text Here, I know going back to college can be fierce intimidating. If it does get you down, go get counselling. The service is there for students for a reason, and I'm sure the people there have seen many students before going through similar problems. Hopefully going back to college won't be as bad as you make out, and even if the workload becomes hard I'm sure your collegemates will be there for help and moral support. (I know in my course anyway, everyone helps each other out with difficult problem sets and preparing for exams etc.) The one thing I found most unbearable during summer was loneliness, so being back in college among friends could make you feel a lot better.

Hope it all works out for you anyway. :)

This so true i always get into this cycle over the summer i become a hermit and then going to college becomes a huge deal in my head and i get freaked out when the time comes nearer to going back but i know once i settle in it wont be to bad most of the time anyway.

Altho this year i have to move out to go to college so im trying to think positively and not fall into the what if i have a panic attack train of thought type of thing always end up depressed for ages then. Stupid brain.

Stupidusername, I dont know you or anyone you know but im sure some one care's you may just be in a bad place and cant notice that people care, maybe your family/friends dont understand the nature of what your going through but it wont always be bad for ever.Things will get better and the good thing about when your at your lowest is the only other way to go is up so be positive well try i know its hard to some times but life is what you make of it.

It can be worse than being at rock bottom, it can't just get better, it can stay that shít. I know for most people depression is temporary, but for me it's been all my life. I don't feel like it's going to get better, because it hasn't.

And I know you say people on here care, but not in the way I need people to.And I know you say there must be someone that cares, but besides my ex, no there isn't anyone.If there was someone I thought would actually be concerned, I'd have spoken to them already. My family would just make me feel guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Actually for most people depression is not short term or temporary. Its a long term dibilitating illness that can take years to get over.

Ive suffered for the past 2 years. You can only take each day as it comes and try not to worry too much about the future.

If you cant talk to your family then see your doctor and try and get an appointment to see a therapist just so youll have someone to talk to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

It can be worse than being at rock bottom, it can't just get better, it can stay that shít. I know for most people depression is temporary, but for me it's been all my life. I don't feel like it's going to get better, because it hasn't.

Why hasnt it, what are you doing with your life to get your self out of it
    and make it get better no one else is going to do it for you. Sitting around wallowing in it gets no one anywhere.I sat in my room for like 3 years then they wanted to chuck me in some nut house i think the shock of that made me cop on a bit and try a more pro active approach to getting things back on track.

Being negative about it isnt going to get you no where fast things wont change untill you want to make it change, if you keep telling yourself things are going to stay ****e for ever then it will.

Irishchick wrote: »
    You can only take each day as it comes and try not to worry too much about the future.

I'm trying to do the same as you but it can be tough going at times.

I think that's a bit harsh.

I've been seeing a counsellor for a few months now.It's not like I'm doing nothing. what can I do? I want to get better I just don't know how. I'm not sure my counsellor is helping.

To be honest none of mine have really helped either I just go because its the "done" thing.

I think with depression you have to let it run its course.

C_Dawg wrote: »
    I'm trying to do the same as you but it can be tough going at times.

Yeah it can. Just try and have one small thing to hold onto..anything at all. Any person place or thing that you really couldnt live without and think about them/it everytime you feel really low.

I'm not sure my counsellor is helping.

I found my counsellor sessions useless to be honest with you.

Why would you only go because it's the done thing? that's crazy. I wouldn't like to continue €50 a week for something I'm getting nothing from, if I was sure it wasn't I'd be gone by now.why would you continue to pay for something you don't need?

I'm thinking about ringing the head of the service involved to ask to be changed to someone else. I'm not sure how they'll take it.I am hoping to have an appointment with my counsellor this Thursday so I may wait to see how that goes.and might say it to her that I'm not sure it's much good to me.

Problem for me is I don't have anything to pick to cling onto. When I get to the point of thinking I don't have anything to live for, my mind obviously gets desperate and I think it'd upset my family, but tbh I'm not sure how much I 'soberly' believe that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Irishchick wrote: »
    Actually for most people depression is not short term or temporary. Its a long term dibilitating illness that can take years to get over.

Ive suffered for the past 2 years. You can only take each day as it comes and try not to worry too much about the future.

If you cant talk to your family then see your doctor and try and get an appointment to see a therapist just so youll have someone to talk to.

once depression enters your life , it never completley leaves , your life is changed forever and thier is always an inherent sadness to it , your ego competley vanishes and you never believe you can ever realise your full potential and even you did , the depression would tell you that you didnt

oh and no one ever gets depressed for no apaprent reason , something or SOMEONE causes it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Why would you only go because it's the done thing? that's crazy. I wouldn't like to continue €50 a week for something I'm getting nothing from, if I was sure it wasn't I'd be gone by now.why would you continue to pay for something you don't need?

I'm thinking about ringing the head of the service involved to ask to be changed to someone else. I'm not sure how they'll take it.I am hoping to have an appointment with my counsellor this Thursday so I may wait to see how that goes.and might say it to her that I'm not sure it's much good to me.

Problem for me is I don't have anything to pick to cling onto. When I get to the point of thinking I don't have anything to live for, my mind obviously gets desperate and I think it'd upset my family, but tbh I'm not sure how much I 'soberly' believe that.

Firstly, I would suggest you speak to your therapist about it. In my service I have no problem referring a client on to another therapist if that is what is needed. If a person has an issue with a therapist or feels they are getting nothing out of it; they are only lieing to themselves if they don't metion it to their therapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

irishh_bob wrote: »
    once depression enters your life , it never completley leaves , your life is changed forever and thier is always an inherent sadness to it , your ego competley vanishes and you never believe you can ever realise your full potential and even you did , the depression would tell you that you didnt

oh and no one ever gets depressed for no apaprent reason , something or SOMEONE causes it

I's sorry but I disagree with both your points. You CAN recover from depression and go on to lead a perfectly well balanced, productive and happy life. It does not prevent you from reaching your full potential and, although there will always be a risk (like with any illness) that it will come back at some point, this is not a certainty.
    Secondly, while you are correct in saying that no one ever gets depressed for no apparent reason, it is not necessarily true to say that something or someone causes it. Depression can be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, which the individual will have no control over whatsoever. This is what happened to me.

• Advertisement

Shazanne wrote: »
    It is not necessarily true to say that something or someone causes it. Depression can be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, which the individual will have no control over whatsoever. This is what happened to me.

I'm in the same boat as you Shazanne.

I was told by my psychiatrist that in my case (clinical depression) going to a counsellor will do nothing to fix the depression itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

C_Dawg wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you Shazanne.

I was told by my psychiatrist that in my case (clinical depression) going to a counsellor will do nothing to fix the depression itself.

I was told exactly the same. I was also told that clinical depression will run its course and that this course is undetermined. Medication will help but the underlying depression will continue.

I was told exactly the same. I was also told that clinical depression will run its course and that this course is undetermined. Medication will help but the underlying depression will continue.

A sh!tty deal all round it seems.

I might talk to my doctor about coming off my medication, or switching again.

I might talk to my doctor about coming off my medication, or switching again.

I think you need to be 100% open and honest with your doctor. You're not doing great at the moment and keeping it to yourself isn't going to help you. Have a chat with your doctor and tell him everything about how you feel, there's nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about. :)

I'd love to feel like I could be open with my doctor, he's pretty awful when it comes to anything. In the middle of trying to find someone I can switch to. Looking for a female doctor, but it's proving hard.

I have never admitted to anyone out loud about having the kind of thoughts I have. so it's not just him either, I just feel like I'm going to be seen as dramatic. haven't even really said it to my counsellor. though was going to talk to her about it this week, show her what I'd written down in the middle of it all, but she can't fit me in this week.

Well hold onto what you've written down, you can use it to better express your feelings when you do get to talk with your counsellor and you can look back at it when you're in a better place in the future and see how far you've come :)

I's sorry but I disagree with both your points. You CAN recover from depression and go on to lead a perfectly well balanced, productive and happy life. It does not prevent you from reaching your full potential and, although there will always be a risk (like with any illness) that it will come back at some point, this is not a certainty.
    Secondly, while you are correct in saying that no one ever gets depressed for no apparent reason, it is not necessarily true to say that something or someone causes it. Depression can be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, which the individual will have no control over whatsoever. This is what happened to me.

im sorry but i just dont buy into this chemical imbalance lark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

irishh_bob wrote: »
    im sorry but i just dont buy into this chemical imbalance lark

Hey,
    Do you agree that people with bipolar have chemical depression because people with unipolar can also have a chemical cause. I think there are 3 types, 1) is a reaction to a bad event 2) is chemical and 3) can be a combination of both. i know that my depression problems have a chemical cause because for no reason at all I fall into deep depressions and then back out again almost in a cyclical manner. How are my supposed to control this when nothing good/bad/imdifferent is going on to change it?

• Advertisement

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Hey,
    Do you agree that people with bipolar have chemical depression because people with unipolar can also have a chemical cause. I think there are 3 types, 1) is a reaction to a bad event 2) is chemical and 3) can be a combination of both. i know that my depression problems have a chemical cause because for no reason at all I fall into deep depressions and then back out again almost in a cyclical manner. How are my supposed to control this when nothing good/bad/imdifferent is going on to change it?

you may not be aware of what triggered the depression and simply bought your doctors story , thier are renowned psychiatricsts who reject the whole notion of chemical imbalances , heard a guy from the netherlands on pat kenny a while back who opposes medication of any kind to treat depression aswell , in his view , its always a case of adressing whatever is wrong in the patients enviroment and nothing else

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement