Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to 'get rid of' dog?

Options
  • 20-03-2009 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Long story but I'll try and edit it down.
    Down our road there is a factory and they have a guard dog. He used to go by our house every day, down in to town (you'd nearly always see him somewhere on the road) and back out to the factory.
    Our neighbour has two dogs, a dog and a bitch and the bitch went in heat a while back and the dog from the factory hung around our yard hoping to get near her.
    My partner took on with feeding him and took pity on him, as if he were a stray. The next thing he was spending money on him (nearly €200 to date) and letting him sleep in the house, on the couch and the bed. Obviously I wasn't impressed by the latter.
    For a start, the dog isn't a stray, he has an owner and if anything is just a bit neglected, and money is tight for us at the minute.
    I've been so upset over the set of the house with the dog in it, it smells, there's hairs everywhere & blood all over the cupboards and walls, he's scrapes the new door and pulled the blinds down and he's even p****d on the floor several times. I wouldn't mind this is it was my own dog I had to clean up after!
    The real concern I have is that the dog seems obsessed with the neighbour's dog, he winds him up no end & they've been in rows, where they've come out bleeding. Our neighbour has chased the dog but it just lands back to our yard and still antagonises the other dog.
    My partner says let the neighbours chase him if they're fed up but I think the responsibility lies with us.
    The point of this is that my partner is going away soon for a few weeks and I want to discourage the dog from hanging around. I'm not going to feed him or let him stay in the house. Will he take the hint? Sorry I sound ridiculous, I actually am a dog lover but this dog is taking the biscuit! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If he knew the dog belonged to someone he'd no right to take the dog in in the first place and he needs to return the dog to the owner straight away (as in pop a lead on him and bring him down and talk to whoever runs the place).

Having him neutered would help part way with the neighbours dog but it's the owners responsibility, has the owner not come looking for him?

No offence but the post really seems to blame the dog for all that's happening when it is really your ohs fault for taking the dog on and then not following up with training and neutering etc. He shouldn't of took the dog in if he wasn't prepared to spend money but you have probably told him all this already. Perhaps have a sit down with him and tell him the score it's his responsibility to take the dog back to the owner if the owner doesn't want him then he has a number of options, keeping him having him neutered (if you are on a certain income some charities offer vouchers for this) and putting time into training etc. Or contacting a rescue and trying to get him a rescue space or last option is the pound but this is a last resort perhaps a pound with a high rehoming rate. This is the origional owners responsibility though unless they agree they no longer want the dog and couldn't care less about what happens to the dog.

At the end of the day the dogs actual owner needs to be contacted first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

Cheers for that reply.
    The owner said he's more or less anybody's dog, he'll go back to him when it rains but that he "used to own him". How you "used to own" a dog is beyond me! :confused:
    I've said to my OH repeatedly that I don't want him around but he isn't listening.
    I wouldn't want the responsibility of him ending up in a pound but he's an accident waiting to happen. He follows you when you leave the house and doesn't look for cars so you have to keep a constant eye on him and end up calling him away from cats or dogs so he looks like your dog! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭El Che

Sadly this is why the dog warden service exists, contact your local County Council about the matter or else if you feel too guilty sending the dog directly to the pound, contact the ISPCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

fifomania wrote: »
    Long story but I'll try and edit it down.
    and the dog from the factory hung around our yard hoping to get near her.
    My partner took on with feeding him and took pity on him, as if he were a stray. The next thing he was spending money on him (nearly €200 to date) and letting him sleep in the house, on the couch and the bed. Obviously I wasn't impressed by the latter.
    For a start, the dog isn't a stray, he has an owner and if anything is just a bit neglected, and money is tight for us at the minute.
    I've been so upset over the set of the house with the dog in it, it smells, there's hairs everywhere & blood all over the cupboards and walls, he's scrapes the new door and pulled the blinds down and he's even p****d on the floor several times. I wouldn't mind this is it was my own dog I had to clean up after!
    The real concern I have is that the dog seems obsessed with the neighbour's dog, he winds him up no end & they've been in rows, where they've come out bleeding. Our neighbour has chased the dog but it just lands back to our yard and still antagonises the other dog.
    My partner says let the neighbours chase him if they're fed up but I think the responsibility lies with us.
    The point of this is that my partner is going away soon for a few weeks and I want to discourage the dog from hanging around. I'm not going to feed him or let him stay in the house. Will he take the hint? Sorry I sound ridiculous, I actually am a dog lover but this dog is taking the biscuit! :o

To be honet, if it was me it wouldnt only be the dog that I would get rid of!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

Haha, I suppose the OH and the dog should be sleeping outside :P
    I suppose I could talk to the owner, even after what he has already said. I wouldn't want to take him to pound etc because I think my OH would never speak to me again! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭julien69

Banned for recommending animal cruelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Do all the obvious things like stop letting it in the house , stop feeding it , and when it gets into the garden bang a couple of pots together,the loud sudden noise should scare it away

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

OH needs to take responsibility he took the dog in at the end of the day, if it were me I'd be giving him an ultimatum but that's me lol.

Give a couple of rescues a ring and see if any of them can help rehome the dog if the owner has no interest. Also post on the homes needed sections on the various irish pet forums and explain the situation and see if anyone can help.

While OH is gone away change the locks ...sorry that's me again my bad.

Advertisement