Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dog on the bus!

Options
  • 05-03-2009 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭

Took my dog on the bus today. He loved it. Just sat at my feet.

Thought the bus driver would say something but he didn't bat an eyelid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Brill!
    Yeh i sometimes bring my dog to work, but drive. Ive recently started getting the bus to work but looked at dublin bus' website and said animals werent allowed. But,asked a driver last week and he said it was grand as long as they were quiet! Havent tried it yet might brave it next week ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

The more doggies on the bus the better in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

The more doggies on the bus the better in my opinion.

Not if they can possibly interfere with Guide Dogs. Which costs about 30K to train if the right kind of pup can be found to start with.

I think it informally goes by driver discretion.

wrote:
    I think it informally goes by driver discretion.
    Yeh i think thats the case most of them are nice fellas though :)
    Not if they can possibly interfere with Guide Dogs. Which costs about 30K to train if the right kind of pup can be found to start with.
    Rare enough but itd be common sense in that case not to mix the two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Lucky you!

I was bringing my puppy home from the vet and the driver was not pleased, even though I had his carrycase with me and explained that I was going to put him straight in.

I didn't have time to put him in before getting on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 newtlover

Spammy crap moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Driver's discretion as far as I know, which is pretty lame as you can't really depend on getting somewhere at a specified time and even more importantly, it may leave the poor driver open to some liability in the event (however unlikely) that something unfortunate happens. Would be much more sensible in my opinion to have some regulations about the dog being under the owner's control, muzzled and traveling at off-peak times.

Still given the reaction, even from self professed animal lovers, to my suggestion they should be allowed on trains in a previous thread where I was lambasted for mentioning that the main reason I wanted to do it is because I have poor vision and can't drive, though not blind (to the point where some posters seemed to have issues with me even taking a foreign holiday), I'm thinking we won't see much real progress in the area of dogs on public transport in Ireland for a long long time sadly.

I'd agree on the guide dog question - as another poster pointed out, there is surely room for some common sense here and a sense of proportion. I personally would have no problem waiting for another bus if there was a guide dog already aboard. Again, regulations rather than some informal unpredictable arrangement would easily address this issue.

I can't see a huge volume of passengers wanting or needing to transport their dogs this way especially with control restrictions as outlined above.

Hats off to the more progressive bus drivers who allow this. OP, what route were you on and what time was your journey at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

I'd love to see a dog on the bus! :D More dogs everywhere I say!

But one thing we have to remember is that, no matter how well you know and trust your animal, some people are scared stiff of dogs even if muzzled and on a lead, and this has to be respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Rory123 wrote: »
    I'd love to see a dog on the bus! :D More dogs everywhere I say!

But one thing we have to remember is that, no matter how well you know and trust your animal, some people are scared stiff of dogs even if muzzled and on a lead, and this has to be respected.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Bluefrog wrote: »

Hats off to the more progressive bus drivers who allow this. OP, what route were you on and what time was your journey at?

It was the 39 from Blanch Centre to town at about 5pm on Thursday.

My boy is a Shi Tzu (a very big one - he is abnornally oversized - but not fat! "Big boned"!!!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

When my little one was 8 weeks old, I brought him on the bus out to my mams, but he was tucked inside my jacket, I don't even think the driver noticed him... as I was 7 months pregnant at the time lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Not wanting to drag the thread off topic but I remember seeing a sign last summer on holidays in a metro (pretty sure it was Berlin), something along the lines of 'Passengers may bring one dog on the metro for free, all subsequent dogs must have a ticket!'

Our continental neighbours are pretty dog friendly in my experience, especially in Holland, saw a fair few in the supermarkets

Enii wrote: »
    It was the 39 from Blanch Centre to town at about 5pm on Thursday.

My boy is a Shi Tzu (a very big one - he is abnornally oversized - but not fat! "Big boned"!!!!!)

Same route as myself..we must have some sound out bus drivers in blanch!:D Lol'd at your "big boned" comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

today one dog on a bus , tomorrow the world :rolleyes::rolleyes:

071218-dogs-on-bus-hmed-6p.standard.jpg

Love it Kenno! Ireland has changed something drastic. Five years ago when i mentioned a dog creche to my mates i was laughed out of it now look
    http://dogtrainingireland.ie/daycare/index.php

On the dogs in supermarkets thing, Petmania in Santry allow dogs in and despite the fact that there is the temptation of rabbits, rats and all other kinds of critters at floor level in transparent containers, not to mention the other dogs. There doesn't seem to be any huge problem with it.

Also a friend of mine was in the Thomas House pub last week and someone had their dog with them in there, sitting quietly as their owner enjoyed a pint and chat.

Its a pity more people aren't exposed to seeing this kind of thing.

As for people's fear of dogs as raised by Rory123, it always makes me particularly sad to see some mothers pulling their kids out of the way when my two come down the street - passing on their fear to another generation, often doing everything you wouldn't want to be doing in front of an aggressive dog in the first place. Very rarely I get someone who calmly asks if its OK to introduce their kids to them but still, that odd one gives me hope.

I bring my dog in to the pet shop at the Blanchardstown Centre. I used to carry him but then the staff were all so friendly I let him walk in.

Also a friend of mine was in the Thomas House pub last week and someone had their dog with them in there, sitting quietly as their owner enjoyed a pint and chat.

Its a pity more people aren't exposed to seeing this kind of thing.

I was asked to leave the Temple Bar Pub cos I had the dog with me. Even tho I was in the smoking area.

Very embarassing. I've never been back - I now refuse to give them any of my hard earned money!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭alcon1984

Was on the 56a(i think it was the 56a) 2 weeks ago and a guy got on with his puppy, it was great, he was haven a great time and luckly enough every1 on the bus seemed to be dog lovers cos no1 minded him jumping all over the place.
    Kind of brightened up the day and made us all smile:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Not wanting to drag the thread off topic but I remember seeing a sign last summer on holidays in a metro (pretty sure it was Berlin), something along the lines of 'Passengers may bring one dog on the metro for free, all subsequent dogs must have a ticket!'

Our continental neighbours are pretty dog friendly in my experience, especially in Holland, saw a fair few in the supermarkets

I was in Touluse airport a few weeks ago and loads of people had their dogs in the terminal on a leash. Quite undog friendly in Ireland. InCalifornia i remember they had designated dog walking beaches and parks where dog could run unleashed etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

As for people's fear of dogs as raised by Rory123, it always makes me particularly sad to see some mothers pulling their kids out of the way when my two come down the street - passing on their fear to another generation, often doing everything you wouldn't want to be doing in front of an aggressive dog in the first place. Very rarely I get someone who calmly asks if its OK to introduce their kids to them but still, that odd one gives me hope.

just commented on this yesterday while out walking in a wood a mother and two kids came towards us, we have the sweetest Golden retriever and an 8 month old Newfie. The sane response from her would have been to point out the dogs to the kids and instead she was guarding them as if they were baby seals and we had sharks on the leashes. It is rare that people ask can they say hello or their kids pet them but its great to see people do this.

I'm surprised they allowed your dog on the bus but think its great and would love to see more of this, continental europe is fantastic when you see dogs in shops, and restaurants etc they make the world a brighter place!! i bring the newf to the city centre once a week as i feel its good for his development to get used to crowds and traffic and people and children etc and the amount of people who just smile when they see him either walking or driving past is wonderful and if there were more dogs about hopefully there would be more smiling people!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

as long as the dogs are kept under the seat there shouldnt be a problem

but i have been on a packed bus with a dog taking up a seat :mad::mad:

but i have been on a packed bus with a dog taking up a seat :mad::mad:

I've seen people on packed buses occupy seats with their bags There will always be a small minority of inconsiderates.

I'm aware of a pogramme to bring dogs into old folks homes and day centres to interact with the elderly and it proves very good at boosting morale etc - animal therapy. In another year or so I intend doing this with my elder dog.

Perhaps a similar thing could be done in national schools - get people at the other end of the age scale interested in dogs, give them an opportunity to interact and learn about them in a controlled fashion. In that way we might see a shift in society's attitude to them here. It might even help diminish the atrocious number of dogs that are destroyed here every year in the long term.

I too have seen them on the metro on the continent and even in restaurants. It doesn't result in social chaos or disease outbreaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

I had Bailey on a Dublin Bus (the 16 at 6:30am) on Saturday. The driver said to me, before I'd even stepped on the bus "You'll have to put him in that" (the carrycase.)

You can't say anything because it's up to the driver but it does suck to get a grumpy one.

At least on the train I had him out (just sitting on my lap, not bothering a soul) and no-one had a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

On that note, I have to be wary when bringing my Westie to the shop.She _HATES_ small children (house she came from had small kids, may have something to do with it), thus have to make sure they don't try to pet the "small cute doggie".

I think some parents do the keep-away-from-the-doggie as the same kids don't seem to understand the difference between a dog on the lease, and one walking around without the owner in site.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

I too have seen them on the metro on the continent and even in restaurants. It doesn't result in social chaos or disease outbreaks.

best we've managed is to have lunch in Cork City centre at a restaurant with outside seating. asked the waitress if it was ok and she was fine with it, himself lay quite happily there not bothering or killing anyone and waiting for something to "fall" from my plate!!

I'm with you on the therapy thing, think what they do in the us with prisoners is a great idea also getting them to train dogs and involving their dogs in rehabilitation. So funny seeing hardened crims cutchy cooing their dog!! also children need to be educated in dog care as early as possible as well to make them good potential pet owners in the future or turning them off having a dog if they won't make a good owner (i think this can be as important). My sister was recently shocked when i told her not to get a dog she was thinkin of getting (all the wrong reasons and attitude towards dogs). she thought of all people i'd be for it but i was like "no you won't give the dog the life he deserves, leave the dogs alone"

sorry straying off topic. Dogs on buses, trains, planes, metros, cars etc its all great keep up the good work:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Really know where you're coming from here, Bluefrog. I had a lady sheild herself with her child when I walked past her with an elderly king charles! I know to an animal lover people who are afraid of dogs do seem a bit rediculous, but that day I realised how frightened people can be. I felt so sorry for her but its a shame that the probable outcome would be that the child will become frightened of dogs too. (Or her mam for using her as a human sheild!!:D)

but that day I realised how frightened people can be.
    So true and i sometimes forget just how petrified people can be so i constantly have to remind myself that people wont always tolerate a friendly playful dog bounding up to them for a pet. This isnt a racist comment or anything but ive noticed that asian women especially seem to be more terrified than most..ive seen countless people make such a big deal (or literally cross the road) when they see my dog coming. Just an observation, anyone else noticed this?:P

Skillie wrote: »
    best we've managed is to have lunch in Cork City centre at a restaurant with outside seating. asked the waitress if it was ok and she was fine with it, himself lay quite happily there not bothering or killing anyone and waiting for something to "fall" from my plate!!

I often bring Holly to Andersons in Glasnevin during the warmer months and we have a coffee outside, staff and other customers are always complimentary about her. Same for the Cheese Pantry in Drumcondra and another coffee shop in Drumcondra, the name escapes me but it's right on the bridge. They often bring her out water there - I try to keep her off the caffiene :D Also Heddigins pub in Glasnevin don't seem to have a problem with her in the beer garden which is nice.

As for dog friendly places further afield, well I'd need to get a bus and.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

anniehoo wrote: »
    Love it Kenno! Ireland has changed something drastic. Five years ago when i mentioned a dog creche to my mates i was laughed out of it now look
    http://dogtrainingireland.ie/daycare/index.php

15 euro a day lol not bad , i hate leaving a dog in the kennels:(

Advertisement