Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Worm problem

Options
  • 22-03-2009 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have a 10 week old jack russell pup. He has been doing great and no sign of any problems. Then this evening he just did a little sick up on me and went outside to do a poo. It was watery and i was disgusted to see big long worms hanging out of his bum afterwards! I had the unenviable task of pulling them out of him anyway. They were about 3-4 inches long (4 of them) and he has been pretty out of sorts since it. They look to be roundworms from the descriptions i read online. They look like strings of spaghetti anyway. I would post a pic but i dont think that would be appreciated!

Anyway there was never any sign of anything in his stool before now. I thought he had been wormed before i got him but it looks like he hasnt been. What should I do? Take him to the vet tomorrow? (in which case - can someone recommend a decent vet near western road/ucc in cork city?) or should I get some medicine for him somewhere else? (recommendations?)

It was a bit traumatic anyway seeing it!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

They need to be wormed regularly at that age, has he had his shots etc, if not they need to be done straight away and if they have, he would have been done when getting them. Either way, he needs to be wormed asap.

I would suggest going to a vet, this might not be necessary, but they will give you the correct wormer for the size and age of your dog, as well as a general check up. I know people who get their wormers from the chemist, but usually for adult dogs and they know what they are doing.

I know it's terrible to see, I had a litter here who at 8 weeks had never been done, they were so sick when I got them done for a few days. one even had to be brought back to the vets and kept on fluids for 2 nights! Just be prepared for a listless puppy and a bit of a mess for a day or two when you get him done. He might loose some weight too. He'll be back to normal in no time though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Thanks Helena. He needs to get his 2nd batch of puppy shots i think anyway so it might be best to bring him to the vet for the whole lot. Any idea how much a vet visit costs? Ive never had to bring an animal to one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm not sure to be honest, I think the consultation fee is about 30, then you pay for treatment on top of that. I would imagine it will end up costing similar to a trip to the doc for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DenMan

This is an unbelievable thread. Can I ask how dogs and other domesticated animals survived without human intervention over the years? I mean with shots and other ways of removing worms from them? We are talking thousands of years, if not millions without human care. Where species of dog and other animals wiped out as a result? Worms must be really annoyed with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Boro wrote: »
    They were about 3-4 inches long (4 of them) and he has been pretty out of sorts since it. They look to be roundworms from the descriptions i read online. They look like strings of spaghetti anyway. I would post a pic but i dont think that would be appreciated!
    From your description it sounds like Toxocara canis, a very, very common dog infection. So common in fact that all puppies are born infected - you may not have seen anything before now because the worms were still growing in the intestines.

As has been said the pups need to be given an anti-worming regime to completely rid the animal of infection - it will probably involved multiple worming administration over the course of the next few weeks. It's important to have the pup seen to though as infections like T. canis can be passed on to humans so it's for your safety as well as his!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gloundaeigh

Hi
    Puppies need to be wormed every 2 weeks until they are 12 weeks the once a month til they are 6 months then 4 times a year.
    You could use drontal plus ( 1 tablet per 10kg bodyweight)
    But if puppy needs second shots anyway then vet can advise you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

DenMan wrote: »
    This is an unbelievable thread. Can I ask how dogs and other domesticated animals survived without human intervention over the years? I mean with shots and other ways of removing worms from them? We are talking thousands of years, if not millions without human care. Where species of dog and other animals wiped out as a result? Worms must be really annoyed with us.
    Actually roundworm infection can be detrimental to a puppies' health and in cases where there is severe worm budren it can cause death from malnutrition and wastage. As I said above certain roundworms can also infect humans (T. canis can cause blindness - Ireland has one of the highest incidences of ocular toxocariasis in the world) so there's really nothing unbelievable about it at all - in fact it's showing repsonsible ownership by enquiring about treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DenMan

Thanks g'em. A great eye-opener. Thank you.

Cheers lads, i'll take him to the vet tomorrow

QiYutPXjbpLULGqQc7KbfQ?authkey=Gv1sRgCKnhxeTtnJaFEA&feat=directlink

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Parazole wormer is a good gentle wormer which deals with a number of different worms, ideal for puppies and kittens with delicate tums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Parazole wormer is a good gentle wormer which deals with a number of different worms, ideal for puppies and kittens with delicate tums.

I would agree with this, I was trying to think of the name but Guineapigrescue beat me to it.

Where would I get that? thanks by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Boro wrote: »
    Where would I get that? thanks by the way.

From some chemist's or over the counter at most veterinary clinics.

Advertisement