Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dogs Swimming

Options
  • 06-02-2009 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hey there. I have a year old dog who seems to be terrified of the water. We live in Sligo about 2 minutes from the sea so in the summer we frequently go out in our bout or go to the beach. The farthest she has ever gotten in on the beach was just her legs deep. She is also quite a big dog. So does anyone have any idea as to how to get her swimming???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Whatever you do, please don't take the Caesar Milan approach of literally, "sink or swim" - if you force her beyond what she is comfortable with, it's unlikely she'll ever get over her fear. I am sure more than one person here will suggest that you just dunk her in the water or throw her over the side of the boat and let her get on with it... This doesn't work. If you were scared of water, as many people are, how helpful to you would it be if someone pushed you into a swimming pool to make you get over your fears? Well it's just the same with a dog. A gently-gently approach is the way to go.

My own dog (GSD x collie) was always apprehensive of water - she would frolic in the shallows and that was it. She wouldn't go in beyond chest-deep. But over a very long period of time, I gradually encouraged her to go a little bit further into the surf each time when I threw a ball, piece of seaweed, etc. When she went that extra foot into the water, she got lots of praise and more importantly to her at that moment, another ball immediately thrown into the surf for her to retrieve! I made it into a gamem and she was so caught up in the fun, she didn't realise when she went that extra inch beyond her comfort zone! Now she dives through the waves with a lot of confidence and even swims a few strokes (doggy paddle, of course!)

That said, there are some dogs that just don't like to swim, full-stop. Collies for instance aren't known for their love of water, although my own collie bucks that trend. What breed of dog do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Boomerang is spot on with advice, gently and slow is the way to go,when im training a young dog and making the introduction to water, ill always start in summer when the weather is warm and the river pools are at low level, ill pick my spot with a nice slope in to not to deep water to start with, barely enough to wet the dogs back and let the dog become comfortable with the water , the dogs confidence will build up over time and deeper water can be used until the dog becomes a confident and strong swimmer- the old school method of sink or swim is definitley not the way to go! and all of my dogs are extremley able swimmers in rough seas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gobbles

boomerang wrote: »
    Whatever you do, please don't take the Caesar Milan approach of literally, "sink or swim" - if you force her beyond what she is comfortable with, it's unlikely she'll ever get over her fear. I am sure more than one person here will suggest that you just dunk her in the water or throw her over the side of the boat and let her get on with it... This doesn't work. If you were scared of water, as many people are, how helpful to you would it be if someone pushed you into a swimming pool to make you get over your fears? Well it's just the same with a dog. A gently-gently approach is the way to go.

My own dog (GSD x collie) was always apprehensive of water - she would frolic in the shallows and that was it. She wouldn't go in beyond chest-deep. But over a very long period of time, I gradually encouraged her to go a little bit further into the surf each time when I threw a ball, piece of seaweed, etc. When she went that extra foot into the water, she got lots of praise and more importantly to her at that moment, another ball immediately thrown into the surf for her to retrieve! I made it into a gamem and she was so caught up in the fun, she didn't realise when she went that extra inch beyond her comfort zone! Now she dives through the waves with a lot of confidence and even swims a few strokes (doggy paddle, of course!)

That said, there are some dogs that just don't like to swim, full-stop. Collies for instance aren't known for their love of water, although my own collie bucks that trend. What breed of dog do you have?
    Well were not entirely sure. My friends dogs had puppies a year ago. He owns the mother and father. The father is a Golden Retriever for sure anyway but the Mother was gotten from a kennel. We think that she is a German Shepard/ Collie/ Greyhound. Thats all we can make out of it. Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

We've a Golden Retreiver and a 9month old Newfie and neither swim. The GR has never swam she likes water but only as far as her chest and we never pushed her any further just let her do what she was comfortable with. Now though the newf doesn't even go in as far as her and we feel he may be following her lead so to speak by staying within his depth. Bein a waterdog we'd like him to swim so he can enjoy what is inherent in the breed, keep himself cool in the summer and excercise gently. There is no way we'd ever try and "make" him swim, our dogs happiness is all that matters and i'd rather he was a non swimming water dog than bully him into it. Any advice to training him into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

If there's somewhere you can walk in water, (wearing wellies or whatever) chances are that the Newfie will follow, don't push him tho, call him and give him a reward if he comes.
    Make sure you have fun, it's the biggest encouragement of all!!!
    Don't take Him beyond knee high yet, gently splash him around the ankles and gradually work your way upwards, (maybe not all in the one day) from his lower back legs working towards his front, from his hindquarters towards his chest, Don't wet his face yet. You'll know when he's ready, follow your instincts, your dog will let you know when he's uncomfortable, Keep doing this and soon you'll be trying to stop him going in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

gypsygirl wrote: »
    If there's somewhere you can walk in water, (wearing wellies or whatever) chances are that the Newfie will follow, don't push him tho, call him and give him a reward if he comes.
    Make sure you have fun, it's the biggest encouragement of all!!!
    Don't take Him beyond knee high yet, gently splash him around the ankles and gradually work your way upwards, (maybe not all in the one day) from his lower back legs working towards his front, from his hindquarters towards his chest, Don't wet his face yet. You'll know when he's ready, follow your instincts, your dog will let you know when he's uncomfortable, Keep doing this and soon you'll be trying to stop him going in.

thanks i do this now when i can go into a stream or at the beach with the wellies on and he does go in and splash about and have a bit of a laugh, gets loads of praise and treats and is always off leash for this no pressure from us and up to himself what he does. even if i'm not in there with the wellies on he follows the Golden in anything she does so he'll follow her in but she doesn't swim so he draws the line with her best judgement! I'll continue to go in with him then and allow him the time to build up the confidence summer coming should prove a little encouragement and i can get in the water deeper then also. Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Teach your dog not to go out too far, as well. Every year several dogs drown in the sea or have to be rescued by the rescue services because they lose sight of the shore (dogs don't have great eyesight, and if they swim too far after a ball, this isn't difficult), and just keep swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Crannog

• Our rescue dog didn't know how to play or swim. She learned from other dogs that jumping in and out of the waves was fun and although she followed them into the water after a stick or whatever, she would always turn back when the water got to tummy depth.

One day she decided that chasing after seagulls was fun and not long after, she fell into a depression in the sand where she had to swim for a stroke or two max. She has never looked back and now enjoys swimming most weekends.

She has still never learned to play with sticks, balls etc.
    • Our previous dog was a collie who was afraid of swimming. Same thing, playing chicken with the waves, trying not to get wet.

One hot day my OH took him for a walk out on Lissadel beach and accidently on purpose got caught by the tide. He had to wade and the dog had to swim for a very short while. He looked very pleased with himself afterwards. He never looked back either. Particularly loved getting cool that way.
    Hope this helps a little.

Advertisement