Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer science and English

Options
  • 11-02-2015 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi. I'm in 6th year at the moment and looking at doing ck101, the joint arts, with computer science and English. I'd love if anyone doing either of these courses could give me some info about what they're like, how intensive they are, whether the lecturers are any good, how useful the courses are (considering it's arts, not very, but anyway), if the course is actually good or just a load of waffle, etc.

Also, anything I should know about Cork, bearing in mind I've never actually been down there. Where to hang out, what the general atmosphere is like, how friendly you beauties at UCC are, how easy it is to make friends, and if I would be better off living on or off campus. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I don't do either of these subjects but I did do Computer Science in first year.
    Not sure if you know this but you can only minor in CS (10 credits) which means that only one sixth of your annual modules will be in CS. Therefore, you will be minoring in English which would consist of 50 credits.

Whilst I found some aspects of first year CS useful, it definitely isn't a course I'd recommend for its usefulness. You learn bits of basic html, history of the Internet and basic components of binary etc. A lot of this kind of stuff you would pick up yourself if you have any bit of interest in computers.

Just my two cents, and as I said I don't actually do either of these subjects so my views are somewhat restricted, I'd just be wary about the ratio of English to CS and whether it is something that you would want to undertake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭maughantourig

I worked as a demonstrator for first year students taking CS through arts.

The arts students are miles behind the straight CS students. The arts students were struggling with lab material half way through the first semester that the CS students had done in their first day of induction.

If you want to learn about computing, do it through the BSc degree or maybe through BIS. The arts equivalent is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

Dang. Wanted to do cs to keep my career options open, and English because it interests me and I was regretting not putting it on my cao. Now I'm conflicted and don't know what to do. Thanks anyway though, I'll keep thinking about what I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

Frigating wrote: »
    Dang. Wanted to do cs to keep my career options open, and English because it interests me and I was regretting not putting it on my cao. Now I'm conflicted and don't know what to do. Thanks anyway though, I'll keep thinking about what I want.

What about the BA in Digital Humanities? It's a new course that seems to be the opposite of CS under Arts, i.e. Mainly computer science stuff but you can minor in an Arts subject (including English.)

NB: It does include the Arts CS module "Fundamentals of Internet Computing," though which is by all accounts (from here and elsewhere) a waste of time.

Advertisement