Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking food and freezing- questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ray971

Faith wrote: »
    You can do it, but they might not be that nice on reheating! Regardless, defrost in a fridge (on a plate) until completely defrosted and cook until piping hot all the way through. You won't save much time on just cooking from fresh, tbh.

Thank you! I cooked the chicken and cut them into pieces and froze them, they'll probably be so tough when reheating now but oh well haha i just hate defrosting raw meat for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just a quick question- does anyone have any tips for freezing herbs? I've had thyme and basil turn to mush, probably because the bags they were in got popped over time. Is freezing herbs all down to them being airtight or should I be drying them out first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

If you dry them they'll hardly need freezing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,060 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Blend them up in a drop of olive oil (or similar) and fill up an ice cube tray and freeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I've frozen parsley in ice cube trays but in water. I didn't know you could freeze oil?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,060 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I've frozen parsley in ice cube trays but in water. I didn't know you could freeze oil?

It goes solid just like coconut oil, or butter go at room temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Does shepherd's pie freeze well? I made one the day before i ate it once and the potatoes turned to mush. The taste was fine, but the texture was completely missing. Would the same happen in the freezer?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,829 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

dibkins wrote: »
    Does shepherd's pie freeze well? I made one the day before i ate it once and the potatoes turned to mush. The taste was fine, but the texture was completely missing. Would the same happen in the freezer?
    How did you make the mash? Shepherd's pie should be twice as nice the day after it's made!

I've frozen it no problem, some people would say to freeze the meat mix, then defrost that and heat it up with freshly made mash whenever you actually want to eat it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think it's a question of taste because some people say it freezes well but I don't like the taste of mashed potato that's been frozen after milk and/or butter has been added. I usually freeze the meat part and make fresh mash on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Hmm. That could be a runner, easy to pop on a few spuds if you know the rest is ready and defrosted.

HeidiHeidi, can't tell you exactly what i did with the mash that time, it was around 2 years ago and it was the last time i made shep. Desperate craving for it again recently though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,829 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hmm. That could be a runner, easy to pop on a few spuds if you know the rest is ready and defrosted.

HeidiHeidi, can't tell you exactly what i did with the mash that time, it was around 2 years ago and it was the last time i made shep. Desperate craving for it again recently though.
    Well I'm certainly no expert (hardly ever eat spuds) but definitely the mash shouldn't turn to mush in one day - whatever about after having been frozen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Hi all
    Finally defrosted the freezer and returning to work next week so wondering if ye had suggestions for dinners I could make that freeze well?

I expect I'll be tired and not always wanting to cook dinners so would like to have a few nice, healthy dinners on hand for such evenings!

I'm not an adventurous cook and generally stick to chicken recipes - stir fries etc

I don't really like fish but would consider salmon.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Chilli
    Bolognese
    Fish cakes
    Chicken cacciatore
    Sausages and onion in gravy
    Shepherd's pie

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Merged.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Hello folks,

Inspired by homemadecider's post in the dinner thread, I plan on doing some batch cooking of dinners before I head back to work next week.
    I'm a teacher so often dinner tonight is lunch tomorrow so I'm looking for ideas of food thats good for freezing and reheating.

I plan on stocking the freezer with the old reliables like lasagne, stew, shepards pie, bolognaise so I just have to quick cook spaghetti.

I want to make stuff I can pack full veggies and is filling, I've been really crap food wise lately and I'm looking to get back on track.

So I'm looking for some guidance from the lovely foodies of the C&R forum :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Threads merged.

Advertisement