Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking food and freezing- questions

Options
  • 21-01-2015 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was thinking of starting to cook food in batches and freezing to eat during the week to save time and potentially money also. I have never attempted this before (I don't know anyone who does it either so I don't have anyone to ask). I see the latest thread on this topic was over 4 years ago and it doesn't really address my questions.

I would be intending to cook soups for lunch, maybe a bolognaise, chicken curry or something like that.

- What would you usually freeze the food in, would tupperware suffice or could I use foil trays?

-How long would the frozen food keep in the freezer?

- How long should the food be defrosed, should I leave it out overnight or could I defrost in microwave right before eating?

-Is there any foods that would not be suitable for freezing, any meats etc?

- Would you find that freezing food would impact on the taste or quality of the meal?

-Does anyone have ideas on what would be the best meals to make for freezing?

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I use both tupperware, and foil trays. Tupperware is re-usable though, so a better option.

Date everything and use in order, food will last a long time, but will degrade in quality the longer (6+ months) it's left.

Defrost in a fridge overnight, or in the microwave before re-heating. Some people will stick frozen food in foil trays right into the oven, they are called ready-meals :)

Don't freeze mushrooms, they thaw into a horrible slimy mess. All meats are ok to freeze. I've also gotten mixed results freezing cream-based sauces, so usually avoid

I've never found quality to be less.

Stew style, or soups are the best to freeze - chilli, Irish Stew, beef stew, Cottage Pie, Veg Soup, Tomato Soup, curries. Then you can make home-made burgers (beef, turkey), meatballs and stuff like that.

Remember though, after defrosting you'll see some separation of water & ingredients, add the water back when re-heating because otherwise you'll have a stodgy version of the original, this is not condensation or magic water, it came out of the frozen dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

I use both tupperware, and foil trays. Tupperware is re-usable though, so a better option.

Date everything and use in order, food will last a long time, but will degrade in quality the longer (6+ months) it's left.

Defrost in a fridge overnight, or in the microwave before re-heating. Some people will stick frozen food in foil trays right into the oven, they are called ready-meals :)

Don't freeze mushrooms, they thaw into a horrible slimy mess. All meats are ok to freeze. I've also gotten mixed results freezing cream-based sauces, so usually avoid

I've never found quality to be less.

Stew style, or soups are the best to freeze - chilli, Irish Stew, beef stew, Cottage Pie, Veg Soup, Tomato Soup, curries. Then you can make home-made burgers (beef, turkey), meatballs and stuff like that.

Remember though, after defrosting you'll see some separation of water & ingredients, add the water back when re-heating because otherwise you'll have a stodgy version of the original, this is not condensation or magic water, it came out of the frozen dish.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Now I will have a clue what I am doing. I will definitely try the stews and soups as you have suggested. I think freezing in bulk will be the way forward for me as it will save me a bunch of time if I do a big prep at weekends. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

To add to what Baldy said, mashed potatoes work well, just boiled potatoes that have been frozen are yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

You could also consider freezing in freezer bags etc, including sauce bags. These can save on space in your freezer. As BC says, milk / cream based sauces tend not to freeze that great, but it's a texture issue (as opposed to safety). It's also a good idea to quickly blanche excess vegetables (carrots etc) and freeze them, rather than chucking them in the bin.
    Maybe I have a cold fridge or something, but I've often found foods to be still partially frozen after defrosting overnight. If I have something large to defrost, I'd often put it in the fridge 36 hours or so before use. I'm not a fan of microwave defrosting larger meat cuts, as you can end up cooking the outside while the inside is still frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭squonk

All of the above really. I regularly make a batch of meals or soups to bring into work or have for my tea. Generally I'll make enough for about 4 days worth so there's no hanging around really. Generally anything I freeze is gone withing 10 days.

I've found potatoe based soups to be not quite enticing when thawed and reheated. That's mainly because they've been thick to start with thoguh. I'm make a lighter consistency soup for freezing really.

I find currys, stews chillis, tend to work well. As said, mash is great. Pasta isn't so great. It depends on whether it's in quite a wet sauce. If the sauce is dry then the pasta will not reheat well. If you include plenty of sauce then results can be OK. Rice and Cous cous can reheat OK I've found.

If you want to use mushrooms in currys or stews then use the tiny button mushroom variety. They are more dense so hold together much better.

The closest I get to dairy in my reheatables is natural yogurt for curries. I'd be a bit wary of using cream or milk otherwise.

I generally pack my lunches in those clear takeaway trays. I've a shop nearby that sels them so it's very handy and they're cheap and disposable. Previously however I've used containers like this and they've been very good though they do discolour after repeated use.

For defrosting I generally take my meal out of the fridge and leave it on the draining board overnight. I've found that the fridge doesn't always result in the meal being fully defrosted when I need it and my apartment isn't heated like a tropical paradise most of the time so it's generally grand. I've certainly never had an issue with poisoning so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

I have another question about batch cooking.

If I use meat previously frozen, then defrosted. Cook up some dishes, shepard's pie,chicken curry etc. Could I then freeze the cooked dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

If I use meat previously frozen, then defrosted. Cook up some dishes, shepard's pie,chicken curry etc. Could I then freeze the cooked dishes.
    I do this regularly with bacon and mushrooms pasta, cottage pie, mince mixtures, stews and have never had an issue or made myself or anyone else sick from it.

Just make sure the meals are thoroughly defrosted before reheating and make sure they are fully reheated before serving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

Brilliant. This is going to save me so much time during the week. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I've been getting plastic containers at pound shops. Last time i got a few packs of 8x500ml round containers for €1.49. They are pretty poorly made, but i use them as disposable, or at most once or twice.

Anyhow, i made a tasty minestrone in my slow cooker and now i have 4 massive portions of soup in the freezer for when i'm feeling peckish and lazy!

ministone_for_the_freezer_360.png

• Advertisement

dibkins wrote: »
    Anyhow, i made a tasty minestrone in my slow cooker

Recipe please!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Chinese takeaway containers are perfect portion size I find. I try to bulk cook a few things a months to build up the stash in the freezer, so for instance if I'm making spag bol, lasange, or curry, I'll make it in bulk, dish up portions for that nights dinner and portion the rest for freezing.

When I buy meat, I buy in bulk with butcher special offers and portion out per person sizes into freezer bags so its quicker and easier to defrost only what you need and because its not in one big lump, it defrosts quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Recipe please!

It is fairly bog standard, but dang tasty nevertheless!

Brown some chopped panchetta (i used M&S bacon pieces, they were on special and they are super chunky) and put aside. Soften onion, carrot and celery. Add some oragano and paprika and pepper and hot sauce to taste. Add many tins of tomatoes and beans. Cook for around 30 mins (i did 4 hours on high in slow cooker)...Add the bacon back in at the end to warm up. Nomnomnom. It really is tastier than you would think from the effort level:D It also froze very well which is great. I guess you could add some pasta or something, but it is pretty dang hearty as is as i use a ton of the veg. I got aldi tinned tomatoes last time, they were alright, but very tart.

Neyite wrote: »
    Chinese takeaway containers are perfect portion size I find. I try to bulk cook a few things a months to build up the stash in the freezer, so for instance if I'm making spag bol, lasange, or curry, I'll make it in bulk, dish up portions for that nights dinner and portion the rest for freezing.

When I buy meat, I buy in bulk with butcher special offers and portion out per person sizes into freezer bags so its quicker and easier to defrost only what you need and because its not in one big lump, it defrosts quicker.

That is a very handy suggestion. Stupid question but would it generally be ok to freeze pre-cooked steaks etc rather than batches of bolognaise? Just wondered as this would also save a bunch of time.

Also, how long would the frozen meat keep in the freezer? I would like to buy in bulk to save cash but I'm only cooking for a few people. Thanks

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

That is a very handy suggestion. Stupid question but would it generally be ok to freeze pre-cooked steaks etc rather than batches of bolognaise? Just wondered as this would also save a bunch of time.

Also, how long would the frozen meat keep in the freezer? I would like to buy in bulk to save cash but I'm only cooking for a few people. Thanks

Food safety advice cant be given here I'm afraid - you don't know how clueless or clued in someone might be on the interwebs. :)

But this is a good starter website. http://www.safefood.eu/Home.aspx

I only cook for two adults really, so would have small portions frozen too. I generally bulk cook about 8 dinners of the popular things we'd eat most weeks so usually by the 3 month mark for most freezers its long gone.

I'd suggest working out a meal planner for a month rotation, that way you can see what you need for the month, and have very little waste or unidentified freezer objects. I'd be happy to pm you mine if you like?

@Neyite Oops sorry..I'll look at the safefood website :)

The meal plan also sounds like a good idea. Just need to motivate myself to stop being so lazy! Planning meals on the fly is never good when working late nights! I would be batch cooking small enough amounts, I reckon.

It would be great if you could pm me! It would be good to get some food ideas :) Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Dee01

Great thread - I was just having the freezing debate with the siblings and I spotted this (defrost something raw and then cook it - can you re-freeze once cooked and cooled). O - if you could PM me the menu plan as well that'd be great @Neyite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 TracyG

Thinking of cooking batches and freezing too......could you pm me the meal plan too please @Neyite

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peustace

Hi, I regularly do this. Saves a lot of time, and hassle. Here are some of my tips..

Invest in good containers for the food. Homestore and More are selling good containers which are ideal. The containers from takeaways sometimes aren't great quality to be reusing

To the question above, I regularly freeze uncooked food ie (mince), defrost it, cook bolognese and freeze it again. No problems so far!

I generally cook a number of different dishes at once so that I have a choice of meals - bolognese, curries, beef bourguignon, chicken and bacon stock pot, stew, burgers, meatballs, soups etc I normally cook the pasta/rice/spuds the night I want it with each dish rather than freezing that as well. It normally only takes 10-15 mins to do pasta, rice, potatoes and they take are of themselves when they're on anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

On the inside of the door of my all the freezers I've had are pictures of food and it says how long you can freeze that food for. For instance it shows a selection of veg for veg, a cow for beef, pig for pork, chicken/turkey for fowl. I am assuming though that would be raw meat. See if you have the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A lot of this already covered, but my 2c;

I cook a of of food in batches, and freeze the excess in single lunch portions.
    For a list of ideas, I basically checked out the options from companies like muscles meals, gym meals, etc.
    Which is the reason I do it, post gym meals for work.
    Hi,
    - What would you usually freeze the food in, would tupperware suffice or could I use foil trays?
    I use plastic take away containers. I buy them from an asian supermarket for 18c each

-How long would the frozen food keep in the freezer?
    Months. But I use them somewhat in order, so they are never really there a couple of weeks.

- How long should the food be defrosed, should I leave it out overnight or could I defrost in microwave right before eating?
    I take out of the freezer in the morning and keep in the fridge at work. And then reheat in the microwave. It;s still mostly frozen.
    Heating from completely frozen would be fine too. Stir halfway

-Is there any foods that would not be suitable for freezing, any meats etc?
    Most meats work well. Tends to work best with a sauce. Like curry, spag bol. Dry meals tend to be not as good. steak and chips/veg.

- Would you find that freezing food would impact on the taste or quality of the meal?
    Not significantly imo

-Does anyone have ideas on what would be the best meals to make for freezing?
    Curry, spah bol, stew, hot pot, pasta, stir fry. All work well.

Generally I go for;
    Meat + Veg + sauce + Rice/pasta optional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Hi Guys

Im trying to get back some hours during the week that i spend preparing dinners by preparing them on sunday and freezing them

Can you feeze steak dinners and things like chicken curry and rice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Merged.

tHB

Sure a steak takes 5 minutes to cook! I really can't imagine cooking up a bunch of steaks, only to freeze them and thaw them at a later date to eat. No, no, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I agree with BC on the steak front.

The best meals for freezing are stew-type dishes - spag bol, chilli, curry (not sure about coconut milk-based ones though), etc. I believe that lasagne also freezes well. Basically meals with a high liquid content.

Freeze them in portion sizes that you would generally be eating, eg individual portions if you eat alone, double portions if there will be two of you, etc, etc...

I agree with BC on the steak front.

The best meals for freezing are stew-type dishes - spag bol, chilli, curry (not sure about coconut milk-based ones though), etc. I believe that lasagne also freezes well. Basically meals with a high liquid content.

Freeze them in portion sizes that you would generally be eating, eg individual portions if you eat alone, double portions if there will be two of you, etc, etc...

I froze a thai curry with coconut. It tastes perfect but when you reheat to a sufficient high temperature to fully reheat the meat, the sauce splits slightly.

What I do now is prepare the thai paste in bulk x10 portions, freeze that then take out a cube of paste, into a pot, chop chicken and simmer in it for 10 mins, then add the coconut milk and veg on a lower heat. Put on rice and thats it.

The advantage to freezing the paste is that it takes up far less space in smaller cubes, its better value to buy the ingredients in multiple quantities and you can quickly cook the chicken in it on a high heat, but lower it so the coconut milk stays silky smooth in the dish.

Jar Roasted Red peppers (Lidl)
    6 Stalks Lemongrass
    1 large bag fresh Coriander leaf
    3 Red Chillis
    6 Cloves Garlic
    3 Tablespoons Nam Pla
    6 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
    3 Tablespoons Sesame Oil
    3 Heaped teaspoons Tomato Puree
    6 cm fresh ginger, peeled.

Bung all that into a liquidiser and blitz until smooth, divide into even servings of 10 and freeze.

When you want dinner, take 2 frozen portions of paste, add sliced chicken and cook on high until chicken is cooked. Lower heat, add one tin of coconut milk, and veg such as long stem brocolli, baby corn, mangetout etc. Put on rice. Toss in some cherry tomatoes towards the end of cooking.

Serves 3-4, and very quick to prepare from paste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ray971

Hi everyone, sorry if this has been posted before but could someone tell me, is it okay to cook whole chicken fillets and cod fillets, wrap them up and then freeze them on their own? If so, what's the best way to defrost and reheat them after freezing? Thanks :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You can do it, but they might not be that nice on reheating! Regardless, defrost in a fridge (on a plate) until completely defrosted and cook until piping hot all the way through. You won't save much time on just cooking from fresh, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

For those interested in cooking in bulk as a time saving device there was a blog a couple of years back where the cook laid out a meal plan that cooked enough food for a whole months eating in 4 hours. I don't quite believe the 4 hours bit but with good organisation there's no reason why you couldn't spend an entire Sunday prepping food for freezing and portioning and then having it ready to go on a meal by meal basis. With the use of a slow cooker you can arrive home to a cooked dinner with little fuss or work every evening
    Anyway heres a link http://whoneedsacape.com/2013/08/40-meals4-hours-recipe-collection/

Advertisement