Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop won't start.

• 26-11-2012 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

HP Pavilion dv9700.

It turns on, the lights just above the keyboard flash, and then this just keeps happening.

Did a factory restore on Saturday night, and it was working fine.
    Then the WiFi started to play up.

Turned it on tonight and the above happened.

I disconnected the wireless card, the RAM and the HDD one by one, and then all together, and still no joy.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Remove the hard drive and try booting from a usb stick or a bootable CD. If it boots then the problem is the Hard Drive.

Had a similar problem on a HP turned it on and it lit up lights then went out then came back on again in an endless cycle. Couldn't get into the BIOS or anything

I took out the hard drive connected it to another laptop using a powered sata to usb connection and the hard drive was borked. With the hard drive out the laptop booted fine from a usb stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Tried that this morning (with the HDD still attached). I missed the prompt to change the boot sequence, but it ended up starting fine anyway.

Had I been thinking, i would have run hi-jack this on it, but instead I attempted to restart it and try to boot from the flash drive.
    It just went back to the way it was before, and like yourself, I can't even get into the BIOS.

I can't check if the HDD is borked or not because it doesn't have normal connections.

It's SATA, but with connections similar to IDE, so it won't fit into the slots on my 2.5" e-SATA enclosure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Will it boot from the USB with the hard drive removed?

No. It doesn't stay on long enough to get to the boot stage.
    Just restarts after about 3 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Terry wrote: »
    No. It doesn't stay on long enough to get to the boot stage.
    Just restarts after about 3 seconds.

can you get into the bios menu?

if yes then it's likely a fault with your ram or cpu

if in the bios try setting the laptop to default settings (in case the cpu or ram was overclocked or incorrectly set)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Terry wrote: »

It's SATA, but with connections similar to IDE, so it won't fit into the slots on my 2.5" e-SATA enclosure.

If you have just something like that:

RIMG0032.jpg

on your disk, you can take it off (remove) and then use disk with enclosure.

You can as well try remove part of memory (RAM). If you have 2, try start on each one separately.

can you get into the bios menu?

if yes then it's likely a fault with your ram or cpu

if in the bios try setting the laptop to default settings (in case the cpu or ram was overclocked or incorrectly set)

I can't get into the BIOS. The screen doesn't even come on.
    zom wrote: »
    If you have just something like that:

RIMG0032.jpg

on your disk, you can take it off (remove) and then use disk with enclosure.

You can as well try remove part of memory (RAM). If you have 2, try start on each one separately.

I didn't realise it could be removed.
    I've done that, and am checking the HDD now. Cheers.

As for the RAM, I've already checked it.

It's just a bit odd because it did start properly this morning.

Advertisement